Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2015, 11:22 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

4 tvs and 4 different sets of OTA channels?!

Hello everyone,

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this. 2014 Journey w/4 Samsung tvs. We turn on antenna booster, Jack antenna power, get as many blue lights as possible, then scan for available channels on the tvs.

We have found that each tv gets a different set of channels, some are on one but not the others. Kind of frustrating.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 10-26-2015, 12:32 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I can see where more distant / weak signal stations could vary. Some differences in the receiver sensitivity of each TV, but more so probably differing amounts of signal loss to each TV due to cable lengths and variances.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 02:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I can see where more distant / weak signal stations could vary. Some differences in the receiver sensitivity of each TV, but more so probably differing amounts of signal loss to each TV due to cable lengths and variances.
Each splitter reduces the signal strength

Vectra 40AD based in Beautiful North Wales. UK.
Bigpeetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:31 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

You must have a switch box that routes the various signals-sat, dvd, cable, ant.

Are all Tv's set to Ant?
cpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:39 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

We had the same thing in our '02 Dutch Star. Some TV's just receive the stations better than others. The tuners are able to work with lower signal strengths and lock on to them.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Guess we'll have to check the wiring diagram (if we can find it) as the tv closest to the Jack controller gets the most channels, although the exterior tv run from there shouldn't be more than 10 feet longer.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:53 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
We had the same thing in our '02 Dutch Star. Some TV's just receive the stations better than others. The tuners are able to work with lower signal strengths and lock on to them.
Mr. D,

What about your current rig with digital tuners on the tvs?

Thanks.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:50 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

In the old days this was a common problem with Airstream Trailers.. This is important because.. Well the company that made the antennas back then was located in Battle Creek, MI. as was I, and the engineer who fixed it was a friend of mine (Ken, G2CWL)

Back then they used flat 300ohm "Twin lead" and it turns out when they added the 2nd TV the electricians simply spliced the wires,, Just like adding a 2nd ceiling light.. Well that may work well at DC, even at 60Hz (Frequency of a 120 vac line) but at RF frequencies...... Well

Turns out that antenna feed line, be it Flat lead or Coaxial, has some interesting properties... A wire of a specific length, at any given frequency, is a short, and at another specific length, it vanishes (more or less) and becomes a direct connection.

Now Ken's solution was to put in a proper splitter, this way the assorted lengths of antenna lead did not "See" each other.

With Coax: I think everybody is installing a proper splitter.. BUT.. Sometimes, There is a defect in the splitter.. And it does not work.

That is most likely your problem

There is a "Suspect #2" as well.. Some idiot driving a staple through the wire.. Will cut off SOME channels on that wire. (Which ones depends on where the staple is driven)

Fact: I used to have a radio receiver which picked up way too much interference.. The solution was to put a 'T' Fitting on the antenna connection and add a specific length of coax to the non-antenna side of the T. This specific length acted to short out the interference, but at the frequency I wished to receive.. It vanished, completly,

The technical term is a Tuned Stub by the way.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:08 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
In the old days this was a common problem with Airstream Trailers.. This is important because.. Well the company that made the antennas back then was located in Battle Creek, MI. as was I, and the engineer who fixed it was a friend of mine (Ken, G2CWL)

Back then they used flat 300ohm "Twin lead" and it turns out when they added the 2nd TV the electricians simply spliced the wires,, Just like adding a 2nd ceiling light.. Well that may work well at DC, even at 60Hz (Frequency of a 120 vac line) but at RF frequencies...... Well

Turns out that antenna feed line, be it Flat lead or Coaxial, has some interesting properties... A wire of a specific length, at any given frequency, is a short, and at another specific length, it vanishes (more or less) and becomes a direct connection.

Now Ken's solution was to put in a proper splitter, this way the assorted lengths of antenna lead did not "See" each other.

With Coax: I think everybody is installing a proper splitter.. BUT.. Sometimes, There is a defect in the splitter.. And it does not work.

That is most likely your problem

There is a "Suspect #2" as well.. Some idiot driving a staple through the wire.. Will cut off SOME channels on that wire. (Which ones depends on where the staple is driven)

Fact: I used to have a radio receiver which picked up way too much interference.. The solution was to put a 'T' Fitting on the antenna connection and add a specific length of coax to the non-antenna side of the T. This specific length acted to short out the interference, but at the frequency I wished to receive.. It vanished, completly,

The technical term is a Tuned Stub by the way.
Thank you, this certainly sounds very plausible!
Old 10-29-2015, 01:41 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

One can but hope it's the problem Sean.

OH by the way Ken's ham call (G2CWL) means he is a citizen of Great Brittan. Worked in her Magistys Navy as a Submariner.

Joke was they hired him because when he made a seal around a shaft.. IT DID NOT LEAK.. (Fact was that was not what he did for the company, he was electronics, that's mechanical but still good joke).
Old 10-29-2015, 02:05 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

For all the listed reasons here, a common problem. Getting a digital tuner hooked to your antenna to tune in all channels will solve problem. You will have to tune all TV's to channel 3. Then after tuning all TV's will get the same stations.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:45 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlightman View Post
Hello everyone,

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this. 2014 Journey w/4 Samsung tvs. We turn on antenna booster, Jack antenna power, get as many blue lights as possible, then scan for available channels on the tvs.

We have found that each tv gets a different set of channels, some are on one but not the others. Kind of frustrating.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
To start off with that is the wrong procedure for the Jack.

3. Rotate the Attenuator Dial fully
CLOCKWISE.
4. Press Release Button on the Rotational Knob
and rotate antenna (until maximum number of
LED lights illuminate on the Signal Meter).
NOTE: LED lights will illuminate from left to
right. All LED lights may not illuminate,
depending on signal strength.
5. Rotate Attenuator Dial COUNTERCLOCKWISE
until the last illuminated LED
light flickers
6. Rotate antenna to illuminate the last flickering
LED light.
7. Repeat Steps 5 and 6 to pinpoint signal
reception.
NOTE: Refer to television manufacturer’s
instructions to scan for available