Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-19-2014, 05:53 PM   #1

37 F video questions

Hello all, we have a 2014 Adventurer 37F ..can anyone explain how the video matrix system is supposed to work, specifically how the remotes work when using the other two TV's. the way I understand things is that the remotes are supposed to be able to control all the functions at the video switcher from outside and in the bedroom. Do I have that right or do I not understand the system and expect it to do things it can't?

Ray
raycyn778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:14 PM   #2

It depends on how they wired it I don't know your exact coach so I won't try and do detail but most of the systems I work with are either 4X4 using cat5 or 6 and those have a second IR on the TV or the TV cabinet with all the components located in the main cabinet in the living area. On those you should be able to control any device from any location. The other system are 1X4 or 2X4 and have a box that you can connect one or 2 devices to via HDMI and they can be sent to any TV those do not have global remote setup. So generally we install secondary units in the individual TV areas. So you may have a 1X4 setup so you can send Sat TV signal to all TV's and then have a DVD or BlueRay in each room with the TV. So many options and much of it comes down to how they wired your coach. Wish I could be more specific.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

raycyn778, OK ours is a little different in that our main tv connects directly to the main matrix box. Looks like your main matrix box is in the front overhead.
In your case the main matrix box is connected to each of the tv's with cat 6 cable.
You should have a small remove for at each tv to control the small matrix box connected to each tv used to select which video device you want to watch.
Now at each tv there is an IR receiver and on each video device (DVD, Sat) there is an IR transmitter affixed to the front.
This IR receiver/transmitter allows you to use the remote for that video device at the TV you are viewing.
The only IR transmitter I have affixed is the one for the DVD and I can control the DVD from the bedroom with the DVD remote.
Hope this helps a little.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:33 AM   #4

Grant, is it the tv remote that does this or is there supposed to be a system remote? Is that what the little wire that is attached to the face of the Blu-Ray player does? there are 2 other wires like it attached to nothing...since I put a direct TV receiver in the overhead next to the Matrix box can I attach one of the unused wires to it's IR receiver? I attached a couple of pictures of the wires I am talking about.. And the box next to the bedroom tv, that must be the receiver going to the Matrix box? TV remote operates this or a system remote?

also, there is a little sensor attached to the living area side of the kitchen lower cabinets, is this for the heat/ac or something else/

Thanks
Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01964.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	74379   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01967.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	74380  

Name:	DSC01969.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	74381   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01968.jpg
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	74382  

Old 09-20-2014, 07:36 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycyn778 View Post
Grant, is it the tv remote that does this or is there supposed to be a system remote? Is that what the little wire that is attached to the face of the Blu-Ray player does? there are 2 other wires like it attached to nothing...since I put a direct TV receiver in the overhead next to the Matrix box can I attach one of the unused wires to it's IR receiver? I attached a couple of pictures of the wires I am talking about.. And the box next to the bedroom tv, that must be the receiver going to the Matrix box? TV remote operates this or a system remote?

also, there is a little sensor attached to the living area side of the kitchen lower cabinets, is this for the heat/ac or something else/

Thanks
Ray
The wire attached to the face of your Blu-ray player is an IR connection used by your Blu-ray remote.
Yes you should be able to use the "spare" IR connection for your Direct TV box.
The "box" next to the bedroom TV is how you select your video input. So if you have a Blu-ray on input 1 then you would select 1 on the small HDMI remote...etc..

Jim
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Remotes

raycyn778, Attached is a picture of the remotes for the matrix system. The large one controls the main box and the smaller one is for the units at each TV.
When you connect the RI transmitters be sure that it matches the HDMI cable connection at the matrix box.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Matrix Remote.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	253.1 KB
ID:	74433  
Old 09-21-2014, 08:08 AM   #7

Jim, if the wire attached to the blu ray player is for the remote, where is the reciever for it? Where does the other end of the wire go? where do you point the remote when the door to the blu ray is closed?? Is there a central place to point remotes in the livivng area that sends the signal to those wires??
Old 09-21-2014, 08:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mainiac View Post
It depends on how they wired it I don't know your exact coach so I won't try and do detail but most of the systems I work with are either 4X4 using cat5 or 6 and those have a second IR on the TV or the TV cabinet with all the components located in the main cabinet in the living area. On those you should be able to control any device from any location. The other system are 1X4 or 2X4 and have a box that you can connect one or 2 devices to via HDMI and they can be sent to any TV those do not have global remote setup. So generally we install secondary units in the individual TV areas. So you may have a 1X4 setup so you can send Sat TV signal to all TV's and then have a DVD or BlueRay in each room with the TV. So many options and much of it comes down to how they wired your coach. Wish I could be more specific.
It is supposed to work just as you described for the 4x4 (see picture above) with all of the components in one cabinet but I am having trouble finding where the remote signal receiver is to control them. What am I looking for? when I operate the equipment remotes nothing seems to happen unless I open the cabinet and point the remote at them there.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:38 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

IR receiver

raycyn778, Attached is a picture of one of the IR receivers. I only have one at the bedroom TV. In your coach there should be one at each TV. You must use the DVD remote to control the DVD and the Sat remote to control the Sat Receiver.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IR receiver.jpg
Size:	309.7 KB
ID:	74532  
Old 09-22-2014, 02:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
raycyn778, Attached is a picture of one of the IR receivers. I only have one at the bedroom TV. In your coach there should be one at each TV. You must use the DVD remote to control the DVD and the Sat remote to control the Sat Receiver.
Hi Grant..
Here are what I think are the sensors that may be the ones I am looking for. Look familiar?
1st and 4th ones are under the table in front of the living room tv
2nd one is just under the ledge of the kitchen counter facing out to the living area..is this for the heat/AC ??
3rd one is in the bedroom..I assumed this was for the Matrix box. Does it also control any unit connected to the Matrix and chosen for the bedroom? There is another unit the same for the outside tv.
Thanks
Ray
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC01970.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	74631   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01975.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	74632  

Name:	DSC01979.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	281.1 KB
ID:	74633   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01971.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	235.7 KB
ID:	74634  

Old 09-22-2014, 02:42 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

You've got, yes indeed you've got it. I presume there is also a box such as in the bedroom inside the cabinet below and to the right of the living room TV sensor.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 04:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
You've got, yes indeed you've got it. I presume there is also a box such as in the bedroom inside the cabinet below and to the right of the living room TV sensor.
Duncan, no actually there is nothing other than the sensor that I photographed. I think for the living area TV, I would use the 4x4Matrix main box I guess. Can you confirm that the other sensor attached to the kitchen cabinet is for the heat/AC??

Ray
Old 09-22-2014, 05:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutinyGuy View Post
The wire attached to the face of your Blu-ray player is an IR connection used by your Blu-ray remote.
Yes you should be able to use the "spare" IR connection for your Direct TV box.
The "box" next to the bedroom TV is how you select your video input. So if you have a Blu-ray on input 1 then you would select 1 on the small HDMI remote...etc..

Jim
Ok got that BUT once you have the correct unit, lets say the Blu Ray player, how is it controlled from the bedroom? I would guess that you have to take the Blu ray remote with you. Or does the TV remote for that room control it?

Ray
Old 09-22-2014, 05:22 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

raycyn778, Yes the sensor by kitchen cabinet is for the HVAC system. Unless you can program your TV remote for the DVD you have to use the DVD remote. Could not program the Insignia or my Dish 6.4 remote to control the LG DVD Home Theater unit.
The online line drawings still show a small Matrix unit on a shelf under the IR sensor by the table.
The 3rd picture is the matrix unit to select the feed from the main unit to display on that TV.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:30 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Ray - You will need to get some sort of programmable remote for the bedroom so that you can control the TV, the satellite, and the Blu-ray. Then you will probably also get one for the front, so you don't have to juggle all the remotes. I prefer the Harmony 650, but even the cheapest ones will work.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:59 AM   #16

Grant, hello and thanks for your help. Where did you see the schematic that shows a box similar to the bedroom box along with the IR sensor in the living area in my unit? I am now wondering if it was overlooked during the build process as I have had a considerable number of problems with my rig. I just got it back after 9 weeks and a list of 25 problems including the wrong rear AC unit being installed. (It did not have heat strips and was an A/C only unit that the factory can not explain how it was installed.) They did not recognize the serial number on the original unit as it did not match the number on the original build sheet. Go figure! Anyways at this point it would not surprise me if they made a mistake with the video system. It still has to go back again to the dealer as a large chip of paint came off the side of the slide while they were washing it (no primer under the paint!) and continued problems with the leveling system so if they did miss it during the build, I can add it to the new list. I thought that after trading in a 12' Forest River Georgetown 378 that I had a ton of problems with, that the Winnebago would have been of higher quality. Not so much. Even the dealer is frustrated.
Not Winnebago's finest hour! anyways thanks
Ray
Old 09-23-2014, 09:35 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

raycyn778, look at sheet 9 page 10. Also the first page show which sheets go with which model.
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_184625.pdf
Old 09-23-2014, 11:33 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Ray, agree with above. My unit (which they seem to call a receiver in the diagram) is mounted in the top left corner of the cabinet shown, but it is recessed so that the cabinet door will close. I think you need this unit.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:48 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

raycyn778, another thought use a mirror and look at output A (in the center) in the back of the main matrix unit and see if it is 2 Cat6 (Blue cable) or HDMI (Black Cable). If is blue there has to be a converter somewhere.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:59 AM   #20

MGTR, you were correct, there is a receiver behind the cabinet door. I guess that would mean that the sensor I see is connected to the IR receiver behind the cabinet door and works for any of the connected devices??? Is the System remote (Blu ray player) the only one that will work here? Or does the Matrix remote work here? there is a blue cable just hanging there. does anyone know what it is for. It appears that the other end of it is up in the Matrix box cabinet (see pictures) also not connected along with another blue and an orange LAN type cables.
Sorry to seem like a dimwit with this stuff but at my age I do not have a youngster around to help me figure this stuff out! Still don't know how to use all of the features on my phone!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC01985.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	297.6 KB
ID:	74921   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01987.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	74922