Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2005, 05:31 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I made the following post on RV.NET a few weeks ago and received a few good responses but no real answers. I have a 2004 30V with Q-Surround but I can't convince anybody that it isn't working correctly. I'm mot sure if it is: engineered wrong, installed wrong or component failure. Yes, I have called Riverpark several times and a Winnebago rep has looked at it. Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks

RV.NET post
Do you have a Winnie with Q-Surround that sounds good? If so please let me know.

The Riverpark Q-Surround system in my unit only produces one audio channel from the DVD player. In other words, the same stuff goes to all five speakers. The dash radio sounds great when sent to the DHS speakers. Winnebago recently changed the wiring so that the coach radio output is sent directly to the coach speakers, by-passing the the Q-Surround amplifier. They did this so that the radio's fade control would work. I suspect that there is something wrong with the TV or the Q-Surround box (The DVD tested good).

The Winnebago factory rep said the unit is installed and functioning as designed.
Batwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 05:31 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I made the following post on RV.NET a few weeks ago and received a few good responses but no real answers. I have a 2004 30V with Q-Surround but I can't convince anybody that it isn't working correctly. I'm mot sure if it is: engineered wrong, installed wrong or component failure. Yes, I have called Riverpark several times and a Winnebago rep has looked at it. Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks

RV.NET post
Do you have a Winnie with Q-Surround that sounds good? If so please let me know.

The Riverpark Q-Surround system in my unit only produces one audio channel from the DVD player. In other words, the same stuff goes to all five speakers. The dash radio sounds great when sent to the DHS speakers. Winnebago recently changed the wiring so that the coach radio output is sent directly to the coach speakers, by-passing the the Q-Surround amplifier. They did this so that the radio's fade control would work. I suspect that there is something wrong with the TV or the Q-Surround box (The DVD tested good).

The Winnebago factory rep said the unit is installed and functioning as designed.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Is your coach brand new and you don't think it should sound like this, or your coach is not new, Q Surround used to sound great and now it doesn't?

I think you need to find somebody with a Q Surround system and listen to it with your DVD player and listen to it with theirs.

As I found out on this forum, Q Surround is NOT Dolby digital 5.1 and will never sound like it. Do a "Find" in this forum with Q surround for a search argument for much more background.

As I loked at the Winne wiiring diagrams and looked at the Q Surround amplifier, I noticed that only Left and Right audio went into the amp. Dolby Digital 5.1 requires optical or coaxial connection from the playback or source device to the amplifier. Apparently Q Surround technology produces a faux or simulated surround sound.

-John

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 03:28 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Batwings, Welcome to the forum I'am one of the official greeters here, John is the Tech, you can't go wrong from any advise on irv2 alot of people here to help. ---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 03:47 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Canfield:
Is your coach brand new and you don't think it should sound like this, or your coach is not new, Q Surround used to sound great and now it doesn't?

I think you need to find somebody with a Q Surround system and listen to it with your DVD player and listen to it with theirs.

As I found out on this forum, Q Surround is NOT Dolby digital 5.1 and will never sound like it.
As I loked at the Winne wiiring diagrams and looked at the Q Surround amplifier, I noticed that only Left and Right audio went into the amp. Apparently Q Surround technology produces a faux or simulated surround sound.

-John </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi John,
The MH is brand new and the Q-Surround never did sound good.
The dealer said he did not have any on the lot with Q-Surround for me to compare.
I totally understand that this DHS system is not true Dolby 5.1 but it should at least give me some audio separation. The WI rep is convinced that it is functioning correctly, the Riverpark people think there might be something wrong but I have to get the dealer to look at it, the dealer said he has to follow the WI rep and around and around we go.

You are correct, Winnebago connected the DHS amp to the TV's audio output jacks, the DVD is connected to the TV using standard RF cable. One Riverpark tech (James) said this would work and another tech (Mike) said no it wont.

I'm looking for other 30V owners with the same problem. The WI rep said he has not received any Q-Surround complaints on the 2004 and 2005 units.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

My o3 Adventurer Sounds cheesey. I get no bass from the TV and you really have to turn it up loud to here the rear speakers and the TV speakers dround out the front speakers. Bad design. I would like to replace if I knew how. I did locate the amp but it has no adjustment on it. I would be interested if anyone has upgraded to something better.

03 Adventurer 35-U
Titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 04:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Titanfan, Go to "FIND" above an type in "dvd sys" it may give you some insite on what to do. ---"007"

GO PATRIOTS
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 04:32 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks 007 for the info.

03 Adventurer 35-U
Titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 06:35 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

What do you mean by "the DVD player is connected to the TV by standard coax"? If you mean it is connected to the TV antenna connection,and that you set the TV to a channel such as 3 or 4 etc., that is probably your problem. You need a connection that uses the "video" setting on the tv.

If in fact the DVD is connected to the antenna connection, replace that connection with an S video cable if the TV and DVD are so equipped, or with a standard video cable that has red, yellow, & white RCA jacks on each end. The red & white are your left & right audio channels and the yellow is the video.
ohiorvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:19 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Right-on Rich,

Always use in this order of preference for connecting source video to TV based on your equipment capabilities:

A) Component video (Y, Pb, Pr)
B) S-Video (little round multi-pin job)
C) Composite video (the 'yellow' video cable with RCA phono plug)
D) Channel 3 or 4 (coax)

For audio to the amp, use coax (digital audio coax) or optical as a first choice, then left/right (RCA phono plugs) as second choice, and bringing up the rear is channel 3/4 as last choice.

An excellent treatise on explaining the difference is here.

How about this for a test - get/buy/borrow/make a long left/right audio cable (with the 'standard RCA phono plugs) and connect directly from the left/right audio jacks output of the DVD player to the Q Surround amp left/right inputs. Have the TV hooked up to the DVD video output so you can see to start the movie (at this point you don't care about the video except to be sure you started the movie.)

How does it sound now?

I took some extreme closeups of the Q Amp on the Horizon we were looking at. I'll find the picture and post it to my web site if it shows switch settings and connections clearly enough so you can compare.

**Update** Here is the best closeup that I have. Unfortunately, I didn't get a good shot of the other end.

You really should try to find another dealer that carries Winne products and listen to a couple of other sound systems. Sorry that we don't have our coach yet so I can't tell you how ours sounds (I'll let you know next week

-John

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 10:47 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I want to thank all of you that have responded.
Winnebago just told me again that the system is functioning as designed and is properly installed. The WI regional rep that looked at it didn't even put a DVD in the player to confirm it was working. They did agree to pay the dealer to remove the TV so that I can cable it the way I think it should be. This is my 7th RV but the first Winne. The Q-Surround problem is only one of several issues and I am sorry to say that I'm not very impressed with Winnebago.
Again, thanks.