Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2019, 10:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2016 Via Satellite Antenna

We have a 2016 Via that has a Winegard RoadTrip Satellite Antenna. What additional equipment do I need to make this work on Dish or DirecTV?
brican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:08 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Go with Dish. Direct is not very good for RVs. You need a Dish Wally or Hopper receiver and an account. Depending on how the roof antenna was set up. you may need to get up there, take the dome off, and set some switches.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:15 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Is DishForMyRV still around? Anyone use it? For temporary sat TV when traveling for shorter periods?
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 04:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
Is DishForMyRV still around? Anyone use it? For temporary sat TV when traveling for shorter periods?
yup...works just fine. we turn it on by paying the first month's bill and then paying the next month's bill a few days in advance of the due date. when we get home and there is any time left on the month I call DISH and have them cancel the service. whatever pro-rated $ amount is left stays with our account as a credit. if there is no time left or maybe just a day or so I just don't pay the next month's bill. on the due date if the bill is not paid then then the service terminates. no muss, no fuss.

you'll need to do several things:

1 - establish an account with DISH. you can do that with DISH direct or with an authorized re-seller. We used https://www.solidsignal.com/.

2- since you have a sat dish be sure it can still be used and for which receivers it is compatible.

3 - purchase said receiver. since you are on PAYG you will own the receiver. if you are full timers you can either use the PAYG plan or a "traditional" sat programming plan.

4 - install of have said receiver installed, connected to the sat dish and tested. you can do all of that without having to turn on actual programming. you may need pro help if you have more than one TV installed. Most residential DISH installers will not know squat about how your RV is wired or worse needs to be wired. if that's the case I'd seek out an RV dealer or service center. you'll have much better odds of finding someone with experience in hooking up or wiring an RV for sat TV.

5 - once you select and turn on your programming package create an online account. you'll pay the bill this way. DO NOT ADD YOUR CREDIT CARD TO THIS ACCOUNT. that will cause your bill to be auto paid. keep control of your bill payments. if you're full time this is less important.

6 - download the DISH FOR MY RV APP ($). you can access your account and more importantly change your service location to get the local channels and over-the-air-networks (CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, PBS, CW, etc).

good luck.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I do recommend Dish for the RV but with some care and being aware that much of what they tell you may not actually work!
We moved to Dish at home as it was going to allow us to do the same thing in the RV, that we could do at home. Big hitch there, as several things like recording shows, will require and addition of a hard drive and then you can take that hard drive with you. Several items they blow smoke about are also only available IF you have a full time internet connection. Try getting that in lots of campgrounds!
Dish is a lot of like other business ventures, more talk than actual fact.
I do not want to have to call each time to avoid paying a bill for the rV but just went with Dish at home and added a second Wally receiver to wire in to the RV and a Dish antenna from Camping world as a better price than from Dish. If you are into DIY and running wires is not out, the install in the RV is pretty much just getting cable from the dish which you set outside to the Wally and then one wire plus power from the Wally to the TV. One good point on Wally over other satellite, etc. is the remote which uses RF rather than infrared and that allows the Wally to be set most any place you can find space and get wiring to. I found the least used and out of the way spot was below my TV, in the kitchen cabinet but tucked up out of sight above the trash can. Once set in place and wired, it requires no touching as I use plugging/ unplugging the power cord to reset it when starting after moving the RV. Restarting and letting it find the satelit is a PIta but I've got it down to about fifteen minutes now--if I'm getting good clear sky but it is far more fussy than my old satellite system which used fewer different directions to get the signal.
Point on buying is that the regular Dish folks do not do the RV, evn for sales in my area. It's as if they are the same but totally disconnected except billing.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:05 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all the great information.
brican is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, satellite