Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2020, 03:56 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Arrow 2014 Tour HDMI Matrix question?

We have a2014 tour have and hdmi 4x4 matrix I am not very good with electronics. Is there a way to change from this one to something easy that works
Mbsutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:13 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi, we have the 4X4 Matrix and it works well. Let’s discuss your problems and see if we can help.

There have been some hardware issues that I had to sort through, but once that was taken care of the system works well.

PS. I found this post hiding in another thread on a different subject. Because I’m an Adimin here I moved the post into its own thread. It caught my attention when you posted a shorter version of your question in another thread on a different subject. That post has been deleted now so let’s make this one your thread to help you on this issue.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I have a 2015 Tour that was built in 2014 and I have the HDMI Matrix. I'm not electronically challenged but I find the Matrix easy to operate. You have the ability with the matrix to control 4 remote receivers. Those receivers are all connected by RJ45 connectors. Typically the first bank is for the main TV and the second could be hooked to the rear TV and the third to the DVR and the 4th to the outside TV or any of those combinations.

Mine is automatic in that when I turn on the matrix and then the living room TV the blue light on bank one lights and I get a picture. The same holds true for the others but sometimes the receiver may, for one reason or another, loose the connectivity to the device it supports. Making sure the power to the remote receiver is on and then selecting the correct channel should cure the problem.

Red lights that are illuminated on the
HDMI Video Selection System and the
Secondary Source Selector indicate that
video sources are active.
Blue lights that are illuminated indicate
the selected video source.

The remote receiver is also called a "Secondary Source Selector." Once it is turned on you press the "Select" button to select DVD or other devices

This information can be found in the Owners Manual or this link Winnebago Manuals
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 07:21 AM   #4
Site Team

Mbsutton, There you go. That’s a good explanation.

One thing to note, the manufacturer of the system has had some problems with the small receivers at the TV. I’ve had two fail and had to purchase replacement “Balun” receivers to fix it.

When a receiver fails, all you get is blue or green screens with flashes of picture to the TV. When they are going bad they’ll work fine and then not until they stop working all together. Pace Electronics is the manufacturer but you’ll have a hard time finding any name on the devices. A new Balun cost $49 from Pace. Winnebago will sell you one as well but for more money.

If you were new to the system and didn’t fully understand it a failing balun could be pretty confusing.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:56 AM   #5
Site Team

I had many problems with mine over 2 years, and finally decided to replace the system with something much simpler. The new system has worked well with no mechanical issues or broken components. However, if it does break, I can replace the whole thing for the cost of one new Balun!

Now, my system is probably more simple than many RV’s. We did not order the coach with an exterior TV or Satellite system, so I only had to hook up four devices — the TV, sound bar, DVD player, and our Apple TV — for input. For output, I just needed to connect the main TV and the bedroom TV.

Here’s what I ordered for less than $50:

FERRISA 4x2 HDMI Matrix Switch,4 in 2 Out Matrix HDMI Video Switcher Splitter +Optical & L/R Audio Output,Support Ultra HD 4K x 2K,3D 1080P,Audio EDID Extractor with IR Remote Control & Power Adapter by Fiibest. Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MYRX22F...ing=UTF8&psc=1

To connect the bedroom TV, I got this for less than $20 (This specific item is no longer available, but there are many just like it:

Portta HDMI Extender Lossless Transmission 100ft/30m by Cat5e/6 Cable with High Speed Pigtail HDMI Cable Support 1080P / 3D for HDTV PS4 HD-DVD Blue-Ray Player / Xbox One STB PC. More information: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003LZA95W...ing=UTF8&psc=1

It has to be connected at both ends, so I had to disconnect the original HDMI Matrix device in the bedroom, too. If I had to do it again, I’d simply get another Apple TV for the bedroom!

Since we use the Apple TV for most of our entertainment, this setup has worked for us well.

Note that I was careful to keep all existing wires and labels, since running wire through an RV can be really difficult. In case I need them in the future, they are still there.

I’m sure this setup is not for everyone, but it works well for us.
Al
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 02:29 PM   #6
Site Team

That makes sense Al.

I had to decide, stick with the "Matrix" or simplify the whole system. It would have been cheaper and easier to replace it with something simple. But I chose to stick with it - to a point - for the sake of a followup owner.

I had lots of connection issues with the bedroom losing connection to the matrix and this was before I figured out who makes the darn thing, and how it really worked. So, in the bedroom i removed the Balun and put in a Roku at that spot. Then I put an inexpensive Bluray player there too in case we wanted to watch videos in the bedroom (we've used that maybe once).

So, the living room and the outside TV are still connected to the Matrix but the bedroom is completely on it's own.

We too decided to forego a SAT Dish and stream 100% to a Roku streamer that's plugged into the Matrix. So, I can watch TV via the streamer in the living room or outside. And then, there's the cheap Roku Stick on the TV in the bedroom. So, we're fully covered.

When the Balun in the living room went on the fritz I thought, Sod it, just put a Roku and Blu Ray player in the cabinet below the TV and be done with it. That's when I decided to spend the $49 and stick with it.

Since I know how to replace the Balun in the bedroom I could actually go back to hooking up the Matrix system in the bedroom - but why do all that work?

It is an odd system and one that needlessly over complicates the whole TV distribution process.

Here's something going in WBGO's favor - The exact same system is installed in $800,000 Entegra Motorhomes. And rather than put the Matrix in the front cabinet where it's easy to fiddle with it they mount it to a wall in a basement compartment where you can hardly find it.

I hope the OP comes back to read some of these posts one day.