Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-29-2014, 10:54 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2000 UA 40J Surround Sound

We took out the old TV and now have a flat screen sitting behind passenger seat, drilled hole in floor to access cable hook up but I lost the surround sound does anyone know on how to hook up the SS to our new TV we did replace the old stereo and replaced with a JVC unit and sounds great.

Thanks
tbethurum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Location: SD Resident; place in Green Valley AZ, and Mission TX
I have an 04 Meridian, but I suspect the surround sound concept is the same. The surround sound system volume was (needs to be) powered by the TV. So, you need to attach the original AV cables that were disconnected from the Sony TV to the new LCD/LED TV, audio out slot. However, here is the rub. The new TV must be able to output variable audio out, using standard AV (red/white) cables. The only TV I found that was reasonable was a Vizio TV. I found 1 Sony model, but it was twice the price of the Vizio. There is a set up in the Vizio audio menu selection that lets you set the variable audio output.
In lieu of this, it's possible to get a device to install in line to (manually) adjust the volume, but I have no experience with it, nor do I remember what that device is (maybe someone can help with that). Also, I'd advise reinstalling the rectifier from the back of the old TV and put it in line in the new connection.
Hope this experience helps.
JoeCastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:13 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

SS

Thanks for the info as I purchased a Sansung smart TV with internet it does have a yellow and white connection but is out instead of in also I don't remember the old TV having a audio wire out only the cable.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:17 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

"Out" is what you need, along with being able to control the volume.
AS far as your old TV and audio cables out, how was the audio signal getting from the old TV to the surround sound if there weren't audio cables coming from the TV? Maybe my setup was different??
Old 06-30-2014, 11:00 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

If you don't have a variable output from the tv, you will need a surround sound receiver between the tv and the speakers to control the volume.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:29 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

SS

I checked all my old wires to the old TV and all that was hooked up was the cable from my control panel, also I hooked up that old cable to my new Sansung and got picture and sound but no SS so I'm confused as the old TV got SS with just the cable but my new TV doesn't get SS. I'm going to purchase a HDMI cable and run it from my dish box to the Sansung and see if that makes any difference but see how it will I guess I'm missing something on how the old TV accessed the SS.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:48 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Two questions. First, what did you have as a signal source on the old TV. Cable (from the RV park), satellite (Dish, DirecTV), or over the air (antenna), or combination?
Next, is it possible that there was a coax cable connected to the old DVD/CD player (that it was actually a receiver/player combo) that was supplying the audio output to the SS system?
Old 07-01-2014, 01:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I did a little further checking. On the Winnebago web site you can find the TV wiring diagram for your coach (or click here) http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/2000/132032.pdf
The diagram shows all the possible sound output options (looks like there are 3), and pages 13-16 show a clear picture that there is/are audio out cable(s) coming from the back of the TV. The SS system looks as if the cables run into the in-dash radio, possibly sharing a common output driver. It also shows the ground loop filter that mentioned in my first reply.
I hope this diagram helps you sort out how to implement your new SS.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:37 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the diagrams as I drink some coffee maybe now I can find my problem, as for the UA 2000 40J we purchased the coach 5 years ago love it did wish we had the second slide but we may upgrade in a few years.

Thanks Again