Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2019, 07:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2-way radio holder

Has anyone removed the 2-way radio holder that is mounted at the bottom of the dash? There is a big space behind it and I’m trying to see if it’s worth making a door for a storage compartment.
Dmgoetz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:04 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Don't know your model or year, but I have a tip out bin at floor level and just to the right of the fuel pedal. Beneath the radio. If that is what you are referring to, I say it's your rig, do what you want.

I have a drawer just about done that is fitted for that spot with full extension slides. Intend to attach the tip out face to have the finished look unchanged from factory. You are right, a ton of dead air back there. My drawer is 18" deep vs about five on the tip out.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:53 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchinahand View Post
Don't know your model or year, but I have a tip out bin at floor level and just to the right of the fuel pedal. Beneath the radio. If that is what you are referring to, I say it's your rig, do what you want.

I have a drawer just about done that is fitted for that spot with full extension slides. Intend to attach the tip out face to have the finished look unchanged from factory. You are right, a ton of dead air back there. My drawer is 18" deep vs about five on the tip out.

Yes, this is similar to what I was thinking. My RV is a 2004 Itasca Meridian. I was actually thinking of leaving the Tip Out and actually cut a new hole to the right around the corner, more facing towards my door.

Now that you say it, the Tip Out is basically a waste for me, and I like your idea of a sliding drawer.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Not a bad alternative, keeping the tip out and adding a drawer facing the steps. But, like you, I have found the tip out to be a waste and an irritant.

If you do replace the tip out with a drawer, I would recommend using bottom mount slides. Side mount will reduce drawer width by about 1/2" on each side.

Also, be advised, the drawer will slide out aimed at your ankle. I am not using the type of drawer catches on other drawers in the coach. Fitting mine with a keyed drawer lock with a bar that rotates into a keeper. They ain't as pretty as they used to be, but I am partial to my ankles.

Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:16 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the advice and the idea for a drawer.

Tags
radio