Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2007, 07:15 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Well I've finally caught up enough to make a post about our 12 day trip in April. I was able to pull out of work early and give my 12yo a chance to skip a few days of school based on his great grades. We drove from home to Florence, OR - I've made this trip many times before with our 28' trailer and our 39' toyhauler, but this was the first trip that I didn't feel exhausted when I arrived from the 388 mile drive. As it was just my son and I driving I did the whole drive both ways. My wife followed a few days later in the Jeep, which also allowed us and friends who came down in their Class C to buzz into town during the trip.

The coach performed wonderfully the whole trip. Mostly we had great weather, a day of heavy rain at the beginning and one at the end (thus all the tarps in the photos). We had one other 35J owner in the loop during the trip too.

Towing the ATV trailer was a breeze. I was able to pan the camera up just enough to see the rear of the trailer as I headed down the road. Backing the 34J was east too. Two years ago trying to fit our Raptor in a spot I thought I was going to lose my marriage and my sanity, but this was so easy. With the rear and side view cameras and the mic we had the rig in the driveway on the first try. Automatic levelers... gotta love the push of a button.

Living in the 35J for 12 days really allowed us to break it in, everything got used and tested, and everything did great. Plenty of storage for a long trip too. I had picked up a large green zipper bag for our laundry at Camping World before and it got put to the test, we agreed it was a good deal. Also installed an indoor/outdoor thermometer. We ran 2 ceramic/fan space heaters so I didn't have to use any propane on the trip. The power management did a great job shutting things down as needed and just allowing me to see how much we were drawing.

Once we got home we ran it into the dealer for its oil change and so they could track down the leak in the storage compartments under the slide (as many other 35J owners have had too). They also fixed the curtain that was starting to pull away from the runner on the track. Now we get to head out this weekend for a Rally!

Well here are some photos of our rig and the beach and dunes.

Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:15 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Well I've finally caught up enough to make a post about our 12 day trip in April. I was able to pull out of work early and give my 12yo a chance to skip a few days of school based on his great grades. We drove from home to Florence, OR - I've made this trip many times before with our 28' trailer and our 39' toyhauler, but this was the first trip that I didn't feel exhausted when I arrived from the 388 mile drive. As it was just my son and I driving I did the whole drive both ways. My wife followed a few days later in the Jeep, which also allowed us and friends who came down in their Class C to buzz into town during the trip.

The coach performed wonderfully the whole trip. Mostly we had great weather, a day of heavy rain at the beginning and one at the end (thus all the tarps in the photos). We had one other 35J owner in the loop during the trip too.

Towing the ATV trailer was a breeze. I was able to pan the camera up just enough to see the rear of the trailer as I headed down the road. Backing the 34J was east too. Two years ago trying to fit our Raptor in a spot I thought I was going to lose my marriage and my sanity, but this was so easy. With the rear and side view cameras and the mic we had the rig in the driveway on the first try. Automatic levelers... gotta love the push of a button.

Living in the 35J for 12 days really allowed us to break it in, everything got used and tested, and everything did great. Plenty of storage for a long trip too. I had picked up a large green zipper bag for our laundry at Camping World before and it got put to the test, we agreed it was a good deal. Also installed an indoor/outdoor thermometer. We ran 2 ceramic/fan space heaters so I didn't have to use any propane on the trip. The power management did a great job shutting things down as needed and just allowing me to see how much we were drawing.

Once we got home we ran it into the dealer for its oil change and so they could track down the leak in the storage compartments under the slide (as many other 35J owners have had too). They also fixed the curtain that was starting to pull away from the runner on the track. Now we get to head out this weekend for a Rally!

Well here are some photos of our rig and the beach and dunes.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:45 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Looking at you're pics reminded me of last year. On the way back from Seattle my wife and I stayed at the Oregon Dunes KOA. We decided to stay an extra day and rent some atv's. At first we were aprhensive never have done it before (Besides we're not spring chickens either) but we had a great time and are planning on going back.

Thanks for sharing. Were you close to the dunes? It looks like you guy's are old pros.
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:14 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

We were staying at Honeyman State Park in Florence, during the off season they allow ATVs to ride out of H-Loop directly on the dunes. Its a great time, we started riding going on 3 years ago. Funny thing was 4 years ago we had an Outback trailer staying at Honeyman and walked through the ATV loop and thought we'd never want to camp there... funny how things change. The ATV folks are great people (for the most part) and come 9PM most are in bed LOL

Hope you get back through there, the dunes riding is a blast and we've really enjoyed adding the ATVs to our family camping.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:37 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Looks like a great time! Glad to hear everything worked well on the coach!

As far as the leaks go, are you referring to the compartments under rear slide on the passenger side (where the awning hook/holder is?) I have moisture back there as well. Wasn't sure if that is normal or not.

We went out for a night on Saturday. The top bunk DVD player quit working, so it's going back to the dealer for work. Otherwise, all is well.

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
jasonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 04:36 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Great pictures Y Guy!!!
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 05:14 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Looks like you're having TOO much fun!

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:04 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Y-Guy:
Once we got home we ran it into the dealer for its oil change </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't forget a chassis lube including the grease zerk on the steering crank under the hood. I print the chassis lube points and give the printout to the mechanic and stay with him to make certain all points are lubed.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:49 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Jason, We seemed to have 2 leaks. The main one was on the driver side slide out, the second one was outside under where the fridge is located. Its a pretty small compartment, enough for my tire chains and tools. I don't know if they found that one, I was thinking it may have been partially unlatched. I'll see when I pick it up. I haven't had a leak with the compartment you are referring to. One thing I was told is to make sure both latches catch on the storage doors, they said to press my knee against either edge to make sure it clicked in place.

Tom, good point. Our dealer is a pretty large dealership so I'm pretty sure they are doing the lube correctly but I will double check. As they are a Ford dealer they know the rigs pretty good and since they are an authorized Workhorse shop so they get a lot of big rigs in for service.