Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2008, 12:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Next Spring we plan to replace our Journey tires. In an earlier post I've been told the G670 tires from Goodyear should be considered.
I just went to a Goodyear dealer to get some info. The one thing I didn't really want to hear is that they cost $480.00 each, and when you add in installation and balancing the price per tire reaches $531.00! So we'd really like to know if this is a worth while upgrade. I've only heard one person say that the G670's ride stiffer. I'd like to hear from G670 owners regarding their experiences with this these tires compared to the stock Michelin XRV's and any pros and cons with this tire change.
I just installed Koni FSD shocks all around and will be posting a report on my first time out with them next week. We're hoping the combination (as posted by another irv2 member) of the Koni's and Goodyears will make a considerable improvement in our ride and handling.
Thanks in advance,
Dave
Old 08-04-2008, 12:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Next Spring we plan to replace our Journey tires. In an earlier post I've been told the G670 tires from Goodyear should be considered.
I just went to a Goodyear dealer to get some info. The one thing I didn't really want to hear is that they cost $480.00 each, and when you add in installation and balancing the price per tire reaches $531.00! So we'd really like to know if this is a worth while upgrade. I've only heard one person say that the G670's ride stiffer. I'd like to hear from G670 owners regarding their experiences with this these tires compared to the stock Michelin XRV's and any pros and cons with this tire change.
I just installed Koni FSD shocks all around and will be posting a report on my first time out with them next week. We're hoping the combination (as posted by another irv2 member) of the Koni's and Goodyears will make a considerable improvement in our ride and handling.
Thanks in advance,
Dave
Old 08-04-2008, 01:01 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I made the exact tire switch on my Journey and have been completely satisfied. If inflated properly for the actual weight on the axles, I don't think the G670's rode any stiffer. I paid around $2,287 in April '05 so with three years inflation and the cost of petroleum now, a bit over $3,000 for six sounds about right....expensive, for sure.

I've also added Koni's FSD's which helped soften the ride and the Henderson Motion Control Units which really improved handling of the coach.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:45 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I installed Michelin 275/70R22.5 LRJ XZA2® Energy™ tires on my MH last year. Installed price was $2700. These are load range J which allows less air pressure and a little more comfortable ride. I run 90 in the front which is more than enough to cover the axle capacity and 85 in rear which provides same for that axle. Load range table below from Michelin. I like them much, much better than the XRV's that were installed when built. I would definitely move up in size. You will be satisfied no matter the brand you choose.

PSI 85 90 95
Single 4940 5170 5400
Dual 9710 10160 10610
journey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:17 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I've kept the G670s when I replaced my tires, but did get the Konis and -O- what a difference! 2400.00 at camping world. I guess I could have shopped around.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:20 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks smlranger and blucrabbie. We'll deal with the price, it's a lot cheaper than a new coach! At least judging from the price both of you paid, the price is pretty much standardized. I want to get into a larger tire so I can use lower pressure and get a softer ride. I also heard that the Goodyear G670's run cooler. I intend to talk to Winnebago and Freightliner to hear what they have to say about moving up to a larger tire.
Now if we can make our original tires last until we replace all of them we'll be lucky. I'd hate to have a flat and need to replace one tire... then I'm stuck!
bobpie, I just noticed your reply. My wife and I are eager to get out this weekend to test out the Koni's! Glad to hear they made a difference for you. I'll post a report early next week on this forum.
Thanks again
Old 08-04-2008, 07:45 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I also made the change to the G670's and Koni shocks. I am very pleased with the ride and handling and feel it is the best ride of any of our 5 coaches.
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:18 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I know that most people don't want to hear this but I do not believe that you need to go to 275s. I believe that the 255s would be quite satisfactory. They are both load range H. I replaced 235 XRVs last year with 255 G670s and am quite satisfied. The first thing you will note with 670s is the higher load capacity and lower air pressure required at any weight versus the XRVs. With the 255s you get carrying capacity that matches your coach at lower air pressures. Also the 255 closely matches the 235 in circumferance. I noted a 1 mph difference when I switched. Since the 275 is more than an inch larger in diameter the speedometer difference will be larger. Oh, and the 255s are somewhat cheaper but that is all relative. Just some points to consider.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:07 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Hi Dave,

Another tire to consider is the Michelin 255/80 R22.5 XZE. When we had our Journey, this was the tire I went with and the change in handling was unbelievable. The XZE is the tire that's used on the Vectra and Horizon only in the 275 size.

I found the ride was maybe just a little stiffer but hard to tell for sure. This tire has the deepest tread pattern of any tire on the market. It was apparently designed for regional trucks to give good handling and long mileage. After 75,000 miles on our Horizon, we still have over half the tread left.

Don't worry too much about the tires circumference. It easy to recalibrate the speedometer. Any CAT dealer or someone with a ˜Pocket Tech' can set it dead on for you using the listed revolutions per mile, axle ratio, and transmission output pulses.

Shop around, truck tire shops are in the business of selling these larger tires to truck owners and will almost always have the common sizes in stock, i.e. 275/80 R22.5 seems to be ˜the' most common but is probably a tad large for the Journey. Here in Albuquerque the place to go is Commercial Tire Co.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:21 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Dave just one more tire to think about I have a winnebago Adventurer 35U and am the second owner the 1 st owner also owned a truck tire store and when it was time to put new tires on her he put brigdestone truck tires on her. I must say that after I found the right psi to use the ride got much nicer and my unit still has the shocks that came on the ford F53 back in 2000. the nice thing about the tires it that the sidewall is rernforced so if you hit a curb it helps to not damage the tire.

So like I said just one more voice heard from.

Mark
Old 08-05-2008, 10:49 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Wow, you guys are giving me all kinds of suggestions to consider! I'm glad I posted this months before we actually sit down to make an order for tires.
Bellsharbor, thanks for another "vote" for the G670's and Koni shocks.
Navy Flier, I certainly will check out the 255's. I didn't think recalibrating the speedo was too big a problem. I will have to check how the larger diameter tires will fit in the wheelwell.
And Mr. Transister, your "vote" for the Michelin XZE tires has some merit. All of you may recall the chatter about the Michelin XRV's having "zipper" blowouts two or three years ago. So, checking out the XZE's is worthwhile. I intend to talk to Michelin and Goodyear technicians before I finalize the puchase.
Mark, thanks for your suggestion. I like the idea of a reinforced sidewall but that typically means more P.S.I. adjustments to find the softer "sweet spot" when it comes to ride characterististics.
These are all outstanding posts/suggestions. My note pad is getting some good use and you're all giving me plenty of homework to do.
Dave
Old 08-05-2008, 11:41 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

A couple of additional comments.

Regarding the speedo changes if you put 275's on your rig...I did that and checked my speedo against my 'speed over land' on my GPS. When my speedo reads 55, my GPS reads 56. IMO, that difference isn't worth a second of worry.

Regarding the Bridgestones...they make good truck tires but you may not get as good a ride as with any of the RV-specific tires. I replaced the XRV's on my old Adventurer with Bridgestone truck tires and no matter how I adjusted the tire pressure, the ride was more harsh. Not sure you will see that much difference in a DP but still something to consider.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:41 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Add another vote for the Michelins. The OEM ones on our Vectra are still in good shape after 33,000 miles. They will get replaced at ~40,000 this winter - mostly because I want to upgrade to the 275's.

As far as Goodyears; the 341's (??) that came on the Monaco were absolutely horrible. They WOULD NOT balance, and were so lumpy that we replaced them at 15K miles. Goodyear refused any compensation, despite the fact that they were known to cause problems. We replaced them with Kumho's and were quite satisfied.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:51 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

I just put six G670 275/70R22.5 LRH on my Vectra in March because I was at the absolute upper load limit of the original XRV 255/80R22.5 LRG tires. Just got back from a 4wk/9500mi trip and I'm very happy with them so far.

I got them at Maynard & Lesieur in Nashua, NH and paid $410/ea. With mounting and balancing it came to $2835 total.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:03 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

This is really getting interesting! Chris, I'm iterested in what you have to say. I'm not maxed out on my 34H GVWR but I want to get into a larger tire for the ride. Given the smaller size of our Journey we may not need the G670 275's, but I would like to go as large a tire as possible. I may give Maynare and Lesieur a call. As for pricing, I'll shop around the region but I think I'm stuck in a higher cost now that oil is gone outta sight!
Thanks guys, keep 'em coming!
Dave
Old 08-05-2008, 04:25 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I dumped my 235's XRVs at 12,000 miles and went to XZA-1's at 275......best move I ever made...Best ride I ever had and largest safety reserve per tire. I ride at 100# all around and show absolutely no wear marks at 56,000 miles...
RKL. GPS shows about a 1 mph difference in spedo.
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:39 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by porscheracer:
Add another vote for the Michelins. The OEM ones on our Vectra are still in good shape after 33,000 miles. They will get replaced at ~40,000 this winter - mostly because I want to upgrade to the 275's.

As far as Goodyears; the 341's (??) that came on the Monaco were absolutely horrible. They WOULD NOT balance, and were so lumpy that we replaced them at 15K miles. Goodyear refused any compensation, despite the fact that they were known to cause problems. We replaced them with Kumho's and were quite satisfied. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My tire guy advised against the Goodyear 670 for the same reason. While they are a good tire with a stiffer sidewall than the Michellins they are prone to balancing issues and Goodyear is almost impossible to deal with when this happens.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:40 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Thanks RKL, another "vote" for the Michelin XZA-1's. I'll check them out.
NeilV good point to be aware of. While at the Goodyear dealer checking out tire prices, when discussing balancing, he asked if I wanted wheel weights or "powder" balancing. Powder balancing is new to me. Of course that could be another post! Is powder balancing better than wheel weights?
Thanks guys.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:23 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

cbeierl -- I'm considering the same change on my 2004 Meridian, going from 255/80 22.5 up to the 275/70 22.5 but was just wondering if going from an 80 series to a 70 series would make for a harsher ride since there will be a smaller side wall area to absorb the shocks. I know on an auto that a 60 series tire will ride rougher than a 70 series. Did you notice any problem going to the 70 series?
Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:55 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wagonmaster2:
cbeierl -- I'm considering the same change on my 2004 Meridian, going from 255/80 22.5 up to the 275/70 22.5 but was just wondering if going from an 80 series to a 70 series would make for a harsher ride since there will be a smaller side wall area to absorb the shocks. I know on an auto that a 60 series tire will ride rougher than a 70 series. Did you notice any problem going to the 70 series?
Wagonmaster2 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was able to go from running 110psi on the 255/80R22.5 LRG XRVs to 95psi on the 275/70R22.5 LRH G670s (which actually includes a 5psi margin). The lower pressure definitely seems to provide a better ride on uneven road surfaces.

I was getting some vibration in the steering at about 55mph with the original XRVs which wasn't cured by re-balancing. Adding TRU-BALANCE centering sleeves improved things, but the vibration was still present. With the new G670s (and still using the centering sleeves) the vibration is completely gone. Both the old and new tires were balanced with weights, not powder.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote