Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-24-2019, 04:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Winnebago rear axle ratio Q's

Good afternoon.
Picked up a very low mileage Winne for just the motor and trans/rear end and was wondering what the rear gear ratio's were used most?
It appears to be a Dana 60 and somehow lost my pics of when I first got it, so I don't know what model it actually is. Kinda looked like a chieftain that I googled.
It's a 440/torqueflite, dually axle.

Was a tow-a-way with a huge hole in the roof.
Thanks
E
rockosocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:07 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2005 Winnebago adventure 37B with a workhorse chassis. The differential seal leaks. My Mechanic says that he can get the seal and crush sleeve but the nut has been on backorder for over two months. He is trying to get the parts through workhorse. Is there any place else that I could locate the parts.
jcl071441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:24 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl071441 View Post
I have a 2005 Winnebago adventure 37B with a workhorse chassis. The differential seal leaks. My Mechanic says that he can get the seal and crush sleeve but the nut has been on backorder for over two months. He is trying to get the parts through workhorse. Is there any place else that I could locate the parts.
HUNDREDS of places, from Summit racing to Randys ring and pinion, NAPA.

You can do it yourself if you have the ability/tools. Just 'stake' the pinion nut and pinion with a punch. And after you install the seal and re-tighten the nut, you can match up the stake marks, and that should get you back to the right torque on the crush sleeve.

The 'thing' with installing a seal on a 'used' shaft (of whatever it is..) is DON'T have the LIP ride right in the same location if there is a groove worn in.
Either don't pound it in ALL the way or maybe a little more.
Depending on the "wear" on the shaft a new seal can leak again if it rides in the same groove.
(I just don't understand why seal makers don't make replacement seals where the "lip" is either higher or lower to NOT ride in THAT groove)

That's another reason why people just keep adding lube.. It's just a pain to re-in$tall another NEW seal just to have it leak again.
rockosocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Than you for the information. I do not have much information in the paperwork that I got with the Winnebago when I bought the motor home. I am having trouble running down a part number for the nut. Any suggestions? Do you think it is okay to just fill up the lube in the differential or should I keep pursuing the fix.?
jcl071441 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago