Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2022, 12:06 PM   #1
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Which grease gun is best?

I have the Ford F 53 and it’s time that I lubed the chassis. Was wondering what people are using out there as a good grease gun? Thanks in advance!
Old 06-14-2022, 12:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I would appreciate knowing this as well.
theSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 12:30 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

What is best will depend on lots of personal situation. If you have lots of grease zerks, maybe an air powered but I've never been into the volume to make it worth getting out the air to do it.
Next stage might be battery but that doesn't fit for me as I've never had more than a dozen or less to do at a time.

I used a lever type that took the large cartridge for years but I got tired of trying to hold the hose on the fitting and needing two hands to pump so switched down as the number of zerks kept dropping.

I still have one of this type small mini gun that takes the mini tubes but I have to admit that it rarely gets used as having it done is so cheap on the oil part that I was barely breaking even when doing the oil and grease, so I have not greased a vehicle in several years!

I do still have one item that I grease but it is my wheelbarrow and it runs such short trips and such low speed that I'm not worried about overheating the bearings!

Unless you have other uses besides the RV, I might suggest one of these for ease of use as it takes a long time to empty even the small tube.
I like a flex hose and using one hand for the gun and one for the fitting? But does your RV still have fittings to grease?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/LUBRIMATIC-...?user=shopping
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 10:05 PM   #4
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Thank you for the reply Richard. It does have grease fittings that should be lubed and I had an old grease gun from the 1980s still in my shop and I figured that grease is a probably a little old by now so it’s time to get a new one and wondered if there was a new widget somebody had invented that made it easier.
Guess I’ll just look on Amazon and find one that will work since I’m only living my Beonco and the RV that’s it.
Old 06-15-2022, 03:41 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

After trying to grease my past MH with the hand pump gun, I went to the air gun.

I had a problem holding the flexable grease line on the zerk and pumping at the same time. With the air gun it was so much easier.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 08:04 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
After trying to grease my past MH with the hand pump gun, I went to the air gun.

I had a problem holding the flexable grease line on the zerk and pumping at the same time. With the air gun it was so much easier.
Definite value in getting the one that works best for what we have. The solid tube output is lots nicer to keep on the fitting but then it is no good if the fitting is too close to the ground for the solid tube!

For my use, the flex tube was needed to get to the ball joints and the small gun works to let me use one hand to hold on the fitting while the ohter hand pumped the gun.

Trouble with that whole idea is that we can't tell what we needed until we run into the problem!

Laying on the ground under the RV and finding I have two nerks left and not the right tool is not a way to make my day!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 08:32 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I don't have a recommendation but can tell you that the Harbor Freight grease gun has been a disappointment. It leeks and I have to take apart the output connection to get it to disconnect from the zerks. You get what you pay for I suppose.
Old 06-15-2022, 12:07 PM   #8
Site Team

Every second oil change I also have the chassis lubed. I don't do this myself. I'm 72 years old and crawling under my RV and getting grease and oil all over the driveway is a no go area for me.

So, the grease gun I'd recommend is whatever my service center thinks is appropriate. Oh, and I always point out that each of the leveling jacks has a grease fitting, too. So, those are not missed.
Old 06-15-2022, 07:21 PM   #9
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Thanks everyone!. My LCI hydraulic jacks don't need any grease, according to the manual. We must have different systems. I did purchase the gun with a flexible hose, but added a locking fitting to the end to solve the two hands issue--thanks for the heads up Richard.