Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Where is the Spare Tire?

Question??
We are looking to purchase a 2004 Winnebago Adventurer 33V..

Were is the spare tire located?
Old 11-14-2010, 06:17 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Lots of the coaches do not include a spare or a Jack. They feel it is too difficult for the average owner to attempt a tire change.

Ken
Old 11-14-2010, 06:22 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Thanks Ken, well then I guess my next question is how many people have added a spare? And.. where would you store it?

Do you think you could use the leveling jacks along with bottle jack and jackstands?
Old 11-14-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Not many have added a spare due the fact too heavy too big. Leveling jacks would be a no no- huge safety issue. Also lug nuts have one heck of alot of torque.

All in all not a good idea.
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:34 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Hmm.. OK So I guess asking for a membership at Coach-Net for Christmas is a better idea?

What if you gat a flat / blowout? Do they usually have replacement tires on hand?

Another reason I ask is because the motorhome we are picking up is having all the tires replaced. Should I ask to keep one just incase? How about a tire only?
Old 11-14-2010, 07:04 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

If you plan on visiting remote areas, and I hope you do, an unmounted tire is not a bad idea. Check the storage bins and see if one would fit.

Don, WIT 70041
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:08 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug512 View Post
Hmm.. OK So I guess asking for a membership at Coach-Net for Christmas is a better idea?

What if you gat a flat / blowout? Do they usually have replacement tires on hand?

Another reason I ask is because the motorhome we are picking up is having all the tires replaced. Should I ask to keep one just incase? How about a tire only?
If you use the search function here you'll find a LOT of differing opinions on this. I do not carry a spare but many do. Many who do, do so even though they have roadside assistance. They might carry an unmounted spare... takes up as much space but not as much weight and they don't have to worry about being able to find a new tire in their size when a flat happens. Personally, we haven't yet started traveling into the outback of Alaska and I just don't want to give up the space required to tote around a 22.5" tire. It also increases the cost of tires by 1/6 because your need to replace the spare when you preplace the other tires due to age.

Coachnet for Christmas would be good but getting it sooner would be great.

If you're getting new tires I'm guessing they are probably at least 6 years old so I sure wouldn't keep one for a spare. Putting an unsafe tire on after a roadside emergency isn't really helping you much.

Good luck...

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:21 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Gene, If the chasis you are looking at is like mine on my 04 journey 34H. then you will be able to mount the spare tire under the coach, behind the gas tank but before the fresh water tank. You will have to get a welder to make some brackets for you. The tire by itself weighs 85 lbs. I can raise and lower my spare using nylon straps with rachets. The tire is a michelin XRV 255/80. And it will fit under a side compartment but takes up the whole space almost. Checkout the following link:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/unde...unt-52237.html

hope this helps.

jim & debbie,04 Journey 34H
jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:48 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug512 View Post
Question??
We are looking to purchase a 2004 Winnebago Adventurer 33V..

Were is the spare tire located?

Bugs, to answer your question, on MY 04 33v WH W-20, Adv, , it is factory mounted under the rear, between the frame rails...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:29 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I don't know what chassis the Adventurer is built on. Our 2001 is built on the Ford F53 chassis. Like rgrstndgby mentioned the spare tire is mounted between the frame rails at the rear of the coach. It should also have a wrench to remove the wheel simulators (hub caps), and a lug nut wrench. It doesn't come with a jack.

If you plan to change the tires yourself, and it's built on the Ford chassis, you'll also need a low profile 12 ton jack and couple 2" x 6" blocks. The standard height jack won't fit under the front axle but the low profile one is a little short for the rear axle. You'll need the blocks under the low profile jack when changing the rear tires.