Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2007, 07:09 AM   #1

I don't know why, but I can't seem to remove the simultors on the front or rear of my MH. I can see which two nut covers to remove but can't get them off. Do they turn or pull straight off? The supplied Winnebago tool is too large to have the nut covers pull off, yet I can feel the tool bending when trying to turn the covers to remove them. They simply don't want to turn or pull off!

On the rear, the rear nut covers are already missing and using a 1/2 drive socket and extension, I can't get them to budge either. Must have been installed by a gorilla...

Any suggestions on the proper removal of these simulators?

Thank you,
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:09 AM   #2

I don't know why, but I can't seem to remove the simultors on the front or rear of my MH. I can see which two nut covers to remove but can't get them off. Do they turn or pull straight off? The supplied Winnebago tool is too large to have the nut covers pull off, yet I can feel the tool bending when trying to turn the covers to remove them. They simply don't want to turn or pull off!

On the rear, the rear nut covers are already missing and using a 1/2 drive socket and extension, I can't get them to budge either. Must have been installed by a gorilla...

Any suggestions on the proper removal of these simulators?

Thank you,
Old 10-02-2007, 07:45 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

The tool you refer to, while looking like a lug wrench, maybe for manual retraction of a slide. If you got two slides and two tools that would be a tipoff. The dimples on the nut covers hold them on with friction. They should pull straight off, perhaps with a little wiggleing. There is a gripping tool that makes it easier. Sorry, can't remember where I got mine, CW or Flying J, might have even been Pep Boys.

Only other suggestion is to remember, "Righty=tighty, Lefty=loosy"
"Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:02 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Mine also were very tight first time I went to take them off and I do mean real tight. Bent tool also first time. I just kept using more power until they broke loose. They should come loose for you with more force. Good luck.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:09 AM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rocky Larson:
The tool you refer to, while looking like a lug wrench, maybe for manual retraction of a slide. If you got two slides and two tools that would be a tipoff. The dimples on the nut covers hold them on with friction. They should pull straight off, perhaps with a little wiggleing. There is a gripping tool that makes it easier. Sorry, can't remember where I got mine, CW or Flying J, might have even been Pep Boys.

Only other suggestion is to remember, "Righty=tighty, Lefty=loosy" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the reply, Rocky. If they are supposed to pull straight off, then I can use a pair of channel locks. I ordered new simulators so it doesn't really matter if I scratch them up, since the repair shop has done a pretty good job of that already! I always wondered why my simulators where always getting beat up even though I'm careful parking at curbs: last time the MH was in the shop, I saw all my simulators laying FACE DOWN on concrete.

By the way, I did verify that the Winnebago supplied tool is supposed to remove the lug-nut covers but it's pretty low grade quality...
Old 10-02-2007, 08:16 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by becks:
Mine also were very tight first time I went to take them off and I do mean real tight. Bent tool also first time. I just kept using more power until they broke loose. They should come loose for you with more force. Good luck. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello becks;

Mine are by DICOR; did you pull the lug nut covers straight off, of did they turn and then pull out?

Thank you,
Old 10-02-2007, 08:23 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

The Dicor nuts turn off, the tool is pretty flimsy. The trim nuts just screw on to the end of the wheel stud.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

As John Hilley stated the nuts just turn off. You may have to use a socket,as I did first time since tool bent all to heck. Then after I beefed up my wrench have not had problem since that first time. I put a little never seize on the nuts and do not tighten so hard. Now if I could just find someone to polish those always dirty wheel covers for me I,d be all set.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:46 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I have an Itasca Sunova. I also could not remove the nuts with the supplied tool so I bought a deep dish socket, 6" extender, and about a 12" bar that I now keep in the motorhome with my 150 psi air compressor and other tire inflation tools. Sorry but since I do not have access to the motorhome as I post this reply I cannot tell you for sure the socket size.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:22 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

the cover nuts turn counter clockwise to remove. rachet and socket with a pipe over it for added leverage might do the trick
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 12:30 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Finnerty:
I have an Itasca Sunova. I also could not remove the nuts with the supplied tool so I bought a deep dish socket, 6" extender, and about a 12" bar that I now keep in the motorhome with my 150 psi air compressor and other tire inflation tools. Sorry but since I do not have access to the motorhome as I post this reply I cannot tell you for sure the socket size. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I'm getting close; I've three got three out of four off but the passenger front side isn't coming off without a fight. Going to try Sears tomorrow and get a deep-well socket, as you suggested. I can't believe what a pain it is to remove these things to replace them or just to check air pressure. Almost makes me want to paint the wheel Winnebago Beige or White and be done with it, but I have already ordered new simulators.

If anyone needs a replacement set of Dicor wheel simulators, let me know. They are not perfect, but still look pretty good. Maybe someone has smacked a curb and wants to replace one fairly cheap. $50, plus shipping for all four simulators, which are off a 2005 Winnebago Sightseer on a Workhorse chassis.(W20) They are 19.5", eight-lug, four hole, with a Winnebago part number of 145580-03-000... ($425 plus shipping for a new set.) I'll try to post some pictures of them in the next day or so...

If interested, my email is [email protected] and please put 'Wheel Simulators' in the subject line.

And 'thanks' to everyone for help in getting them off...
Old 10-04-2007, 11:55 AM   #12

WOW! I finally got all the Dicor (8-lug / 4-hole) simulators off. It takes a 1 1/2" socket if you are removing the jam-nut, or a 1 5/8" socket if you need to remove the jam-nut with the cover still installed. The fit was a little loose, but it did take the lug-nut cover off, which was torqued on there way too tight.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:07 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I just had mine off, they pulled straight out, didn't seem like a problem. Can get a tool from camping world, has a plastic cover on the socket ends, will not mar the crome finish.
richierich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:27 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Ok, now that you got them off, replace with a set of Alcoa rims. It will motivate you to check your air pressure every trip without the use of valve extenders which can fail while your driving.

Or I have a brand new set of wheel simulators off of my W20 chassis that you can have if you pay for the shipping! Sorry Richard.
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:36 AM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by richierich:
I just had mine off, they pulled straight out, didn't seem like a problem. Can get a tool from camping world, has a plastic cover on the socket ends, will not mar the crome finish. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tried that too, but it didn't work. My guess is that the jam-nuts were installed at the factory way too tight, then the lug-nut covers were put on and jammed on there too. Even after I had them off, with the jam-nut inside the lug-nut cover, 'parts' people told me 'no problem, I can get the cover off the jam-nut'... no one ever did!
Old 10-05-2007, 06:44 AM   #16

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FDchief:
Ok, now that you got them off, replace with a set of Alcoa rims. It will motivate you to check your air pressure every trip without the use of valve extenders which can fail while your driving.

Or I have a brand new set of wheel simulators off of my W20 chassis that you can have if you pay for the shipping! Sorry Richard. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd love to replace them but so far, Winnebago, Camping World, Les Schwab Tire, two local RV dealers and Alcoa (online) told me that I can't put them on my Sightseer. (2005 Sightseer on a W20 Workhorse chassis with 8-lug, 4-hole 19.5" wheels.) If you have a part number that I could cross-reference, that would be great!

Regarding you simulators, are they Workhorse or Dicor? Any idea what shipping & handling would be to Rohnert Park, CA, 94928?

Also, I changed out my OEM Velvac mirrors (Black, electric mirrors used on many Winnebago and Fleetwood MH's) for some larger, oversized Velvac VeMax mirrors: anyone here on the forum need one or the pair? Shipping charge only from 94928...