Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2010, 09:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Wheel lug nuts

I have a 2004 Winnebago Adventurer on a W-22 chassis, 22.5 tires .The chassis came with steel rims, but I had winnebago upgrade them to alumminum before I took delivery, of course I paid some extra money.
Recently I tried to shop for new tires, at different tire shops and they were all very surprised and not prepared to torque the lug nuts to 425 psi., as per the workhorse chassis manual.
Could somebody tell me if the alumminun rims lug nuts should be torqued to 425 psi. as well ? Have tried Workhorse but they will not call me back.

Thanks, Pete
Old 10-19-2010, 09:49 PM   #2
KIX
Winnebago Master

Pete, As you can see in the signature below I do not have the same coach as you have. However, we do have Alcoa aluminum rims. The lug nut torque spec for our motorhome is 450 lbs. So, I imagine that the spec for your coach of 425 lbs. is just that regardless of the rim being aluminum or steel.
Good luck
Old 10-20-2010, 09:14 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

My manual says 475 foot pounds is required.
I think that it may be independent of the rim and is due to the bolt size and grade.

Because the several RV and tire shops I talked to did not have the tools to do the job, I bought a 3 to 1 torque multiplier, 33 mm socket, ten inch extension, and a 250 foot pound torque wrench. putting 158 pounds of torque on the input of the torque multiplier puts 475 pounds on the output.

I have appointments next week to have the brake recall done and new tires installed.
Both shops willingly agreed to use my tools to set the torque properly.

This is from my owners manual:

"The W Series 16,000 lb. and 18,000 lb. GVWR chassis have an 10 hole wheel with 5/8” wheel studs, 27mm lug nut and requires 150 lb. ft. torque. These wheels have a 3750 lb capacity.
The W Series 20,700 lb., 22,000 lb. and 24,000 lb. GVWR chassis have an 8 hole wheel with 22mm wheel studs, 33mm lug nut and requires 475 lb. ft. torque. These wheels have a 5000 lb capacity. All W Series wheels are a hub centering style wheel.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:33 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
Because the several RV and tire shops I talked to did not have the tools to do the job, I bought a 3 to 1 torque multiplier, 33 mm socket, ten inch extension, and a 250 foot pound torque wrench. putting 158 pounds of torque on the input of the torque multiplier puts 475 pounds on the output.
Where did you buy the 3 to 1 torque multiplier? I'm looking for one, too.

Thanks,
Stewart
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:58 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
Where did you buy the 3 to 1 torque multiplier? I'm looking for one, too.

Thanks,
Stewart
I got it from Northern Tool. At the time they had two versions. I bought the one with a one inch drive output because I thought it was the only one that came with a 18 inch 3/4 ratchet. The input is 3/4 drive.

I only see one version now and that is the one I got.
Northern Industrial Torque Multiplier Set | Torque Wrenches | Northern Tool + Equipment

I also got the Storm 250 ft pound torque wrench from Northern Tool.

I got the the one inch drive 33 mm socket and ten inch extension from Grainger.
Socket:
Search 33mm 1 inch drive socket - Grainger Industrial Supply

Extension:
Search 1 inch drive extension - Grainger Industrial Supply

When I first searched I found cheaper ones in the Ebay automotive section, but when I got ready to buy they were gone and the Northern Tool one was the cheapest one I could find at the time.

Snap-on had one for $350 I could have picked up locally.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:24 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Very informative Clay, I have to double check my manual, but I am pretty sure it says 425 psi. But at least your numbers are in the ball park...
I just called a Workhorse certified shop and did not gave me any numbers, response was " we torque them to specs"
But as you mentioned, many shops even at least one Workhorse shop that I know is not equipped to torque nuts to anything close to 400 psi.
If Workhorse calls me back I will raise my concerns with them, this is something they should look into.
I wonder if you do not mind, when you go for your appointment, ask your shop how they managed to torque the wheels to specs?. I am sure that not every motorhome owner walk in with the type of equipment you have.
Thanks again for your time and good luck.
Be safe on the road.

Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
My manual says 475 foot pounds is required.
I think that it may be independent of the rim and is due to the bolt size and grade.

I have appointments next week to have the brake recall done and new tires installed.
Both shops willingly agreed to use my tools to set the torque properly.

This is from my owners manual:

"The W Series 16,000 lb. and 18,000 lb. GVWR chassis have an 10 hole wheel with 5/8” wheel studs, 27mm lug nut and requires 150 lb. ft. torque. These wheels have a 3750 lb capacity.
The W Series 20,700 lb., 22,000 lb. and 24,000 lb. GVWR chassis have an 8 hole wheel with 22mm wheel studs, 33mm lug nut and requires 475 lb. ft. torque. These wheels have a 5000 lb capacity. All W Series wheels are a hub centering style wheel.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:21 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

FYI The lug nuts on my motorhome have the torque requirement eched into the nut. I have not noticed that on my previous motorhomes.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:57 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKK47 View Post
SNIP
I wonder if you do not mind, when you go for your appointment, ask your shop how they managed to torque the wheels to specs?. I am sure that not every motorhome owner walk in with the type of equipment you have.
Thanks again for your time and good luck.
Be safe on the road.

Pete
I talked to them about that when I went in to make the appointment. It appears that they really weren't aware of the 475 ft pound requirement and used a large air wrench on everything.

I stopped by later and he mentioned he had talked to a couple of other shops and they weren't torquing to specs either.
He said he were looking into getting the tools to do it right.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:33 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Most tire shops have no clue as to how to properly tighten lug nuts, Belle Tire (Auto stores) in Michigan do.. And they are the only ones I have ever seen do it right (They actually have torque wrenches) I do not recall if the truck store had them or not (Only visited once, well twice but the other visit I was picking up a driver and never exited the car)

The torque specs on my Workhorse are cast into the washer that is cast onto the nut. Just read it. in my case it says 450
Old 10-22-2010, 04:09 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

The nuts are not tightened to PSI or pounds, the correct unis are foot-pounds (ft-lb) for torque.

Check this link for data; Wheel Torque Chart - Discount Tire

Ken