Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2010, 05:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Wheel cover trick

I just bought some new wheel covers, sun blockers, and found an easier way to install them than the instructions that came with them. The company instructions suggest that the supplied bungee, with a ball on one end and a loop on the other be routed behind the tire and secured through the grommet on the opposite end from the ball. Needless to say this requires getting down on the ground and literally grovelling to fish the loop end to the opposite end grommet. I found that if I pulled the bungee looped end through one of the grommets until the ball came to rest on that grommet and then pulled a piece of bungee cord, not the pre-made loop, through the other grommet to form a small loop, I could then use the pre-made loop as a pin through my self made loop to fix the cord in place. All of this was done standing up and the cover was in my hands. Then just bend over, place the bungee cord OVER the tire and pull it down on both sides. Then just slip the cover over the tire and snug it down. I know it sounds convoluted but it is a lot easier than trying to route the cord behind the wheel. What makes it work is that the cord over the wheel and pulled down, pulls the cover towards the back of the tire and the curve of the wheel keeps it from trying to go up. If this sounds too hard to understand, I will try to post some pictures.
inspectorudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:31 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Good Idea! I always use the awning cane to pull the bungee through
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:37 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We've never used the bungee cords and have only had a couple of the covers blow off in 10+ years of RV'ing. Too much trouble -- especially as I get older!
Old 04-06-2010, 03:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I quit using the bungees several years ago except to hold the stored bundle together. Mine fit snugly on my 22.5" tires ...I just pull them down snug and they stay put. I've never had one come loose, even when the wind whipping under the coach blew my sewer hose around a couple of years ago!!
Old 04-06-2010, 03:44 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I used to have the same type on former MH. When we bought this one, we hesitated to buy another set due to the bungee debacle. You have come up with a very good solution. I was standing at a bait shop and saw some heavy large sinkers (fishing line weights) and my dim light bulb went on. I tied a weight to each grommet with a tie wrap and then just put the cover over the tire and flip the weights backward, works well too.

Thanks for sharing, it's amazing how many ways you can skin that cat!
Old 04-11-2010, 06:38 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to JayLodge
I like the idea of using weights instead of the cord. I'm going to try that.
On a similar note: I took a 4 ft. piece of grey plastic (PVC) electrical conduit piping and with the help of a lot of glue and a hot glue gun, mounted a 90 degree hook in the end of it. Stores easy and helps with all sorts of functions. I have been laying that behind the wheel and using it to pull the cord to the other side.
I drilled 1 inch holes in the wood blocks I use when I'm on a severe declined campsite, and this "tool" allows me to push them in place instead of getting on my knees, and then to grab them and pull them out when breaking camp.
JayLodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:44 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
4 ft. piece of grey plastic (PVC) electrical conduit piping and with the help of a lot of glue and a hot glue gun, mounted a 90 degree hook in the end of it
I used my awning hook when I used to hook the bungees ...and I still use the awning hook to pull the jack pads out from under the coach.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:58 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Inspectorudy, After seeing hubby down on the ground struggling with those covers once too many times, yours sounds like a great idea.
However, He can't quite picture what you are exactly doing.
Can you explain a little further, please?
Old 04-11-2010, 10:10 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Your Hubby sounds like we have the same knees and back! Picture the cover lying on a table with the cover side facing out towards you. You see the two grommets on the back side of the the cover. Pull the bungee with the ball through either grommet untill it is tight against that grommet. Then take the other end of the bungee and either place the ready made loop through the grommet or as I did make a new loop just short of the ready made loop and pass it through the other grommet. Use anything you want to secure the loop end so that it will not pull back out of the grommet. I used the ready made loop to go through the loop I made to secure it from pulling out. Essentially you now have a cover with a bungee secured at both ends to the two grommets. Now bend down on your knees and place the BUNGEE first over the tire and pull it down towards the ground as far as you can. Then grab the front of the cover and pull it out towards you and down over the tire and snug it around the lower part of the tire. That's it. No reaching around the tire or looking for the loose end. Unfortunately someone still has to get down on their knees but it is a lot better than getting down on you elbows and trying to find that loose end. I hope this helps.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:26 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, we will be trying it soon. Sounds like a lot easier and less messy than the way they tell you too.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:54 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I don't bother with the Bungees and have one tire cover come off once in 11 years. This is on two RVs.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:03 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I too have had only one blow off in two motor homes and that was a night when we had winds around 50mph with gusts to 70mph. We searched our entire neighberhood and didn't see any signs of it. With those kinds of winds we figured that if it got up into a good wind stream, it could have been miles away. Ordered two new ones and now have a spare. Made it through this winter just fine and no messing with bungees.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:18 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I think the part you who put the covers on without the bungee are missing is that it is the same exact process. If you put the top of the cover over the top of the wheel you have done it all. The only difference is that the bungee goes over the top at the same time as the cover. The only extra effort is to pull the bungee down as far as you can before you pull the cover over the top of the wheel. It would take a wind from hell to blow the cover off then.