Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-09-2007, 07:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have a new Itasca Meridian and I need to add valve stem extenders to the front wheels to more easily check the tire pressure. Does the aluminum wheel cover simply pop off like a hub cap or is there an "unlocking" process to get them off?
Old 09-09-2007, 07:39 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have a new Itasca Meridian and I need to add valve stem extenders to the front wheels to more easily check the tire pressure. Does the aluminum wheel cover simply pop off like a hub cap or is there an "unlocking" process to get them off?
Old 09-09-2007, 07:43 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

You will probably have two "real lug nuts" on the wheel, the others will actually be part of the cover. Just tap on the lug nuts and the real ones will make a different sound. You should have a lug nut removal wrench in one of your storage compartments. Mine is in the compartment with the water heater.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:52 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

The nuts that you have to remove should have a line indented in them. Mine has 2 of these "real lug nuts", but I think some have three.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:59 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

You should not have a problem seeing the difference between the two active nut covers from the stationary ones, you'll see the seperation at their bottoms. Don't bang on them, you'll only mess them up, they are only covers. As marbilupton says, locate the T handle tool in one of your compartments (large tool, usually gray in color) and just unscrew the two covers and nuts. The wheel cover will just pop off after that. I felt like a real dope when I had to do the same thing and it took me a while to figure it out.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:24 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

If you have the hex type with the freightliner logo on the rear it takes a hex head wrench.
They are plastic and cost about 12.95. Altho a rag and large channel locks may work. One of them turns counter clockwise...Call Freightliner
Customer Service they will give you the answers.
Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:57 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

My rig has three active nuts on the front wheels. Unfortunately the last svc ctr (Tom Johnson Camping, Marion, NC) applied WAY too much torque to them & now I cannot loosen them with the supplied aluminum nut cover lug wrench. Must find a bigger wrench to loosen them. Bummer.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote