Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2005, 10:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

I have not been able to find a place in Hampton Roads Virginia, that can weigh each wheel. Plenty of front and back locations, but haven't found a all 4 wheel location. Anyone know where such a place is in Hampton Roads?
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 10:17 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have not been able to find a place in Hampton Roads Virginia, that can weigh each wheel. Plenty of front and back locations, but haven't found a all 4 wheel location. Anyone know where such a place is in Hampton Roads?
Old 04-01-2005, 03:38 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I was planning on having that done in my area but when I ask, everyone points me to the truck stops with the CAT scales...all of which have steel posts that would prevent it.

Wonder if you call your local VDOT post and see if they would weigh you with their portable scales??
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 04:29 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Hi all,
Check out your local moveing and storage companies. Most have scales, some may be easy to do four corner weights on.
Old 04-02-2005, 02:03 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Gary, I am having the same problem. I have weighed at Moving Companies and Gravel Companies, but all that I know of cannot weigh four corners just front and back. I was hoping someone in the area would know...Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-02-2005, 04:57 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

If the moving companied have scales that don't have sideposts you can run your coach half-on and half-off the scales to get one side, then make a second run to get the other side. In that way you get the same results as a true 4 corner scale setup. Of course, if the scales have guide posts next to them or guardrails or anything, that won't work.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 07:49 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Hi Ich,
Take a look at this website. It's a do it yourself moving site for Navy personnel but it has several moving / storage and truck stops in the Hampton Rooads area you can check out for the scales we need. You didn't say if you were on the North or South side so let me if you luck out.

http://www.nor.fisc.navy.mil/HHG/HHG....htm#southside

There also a video training tape on the Michelin website that gives a good demonstration of how to weigh a motorhome on those single weight type scales.

Heres that website too.
http://www.michelinrvtires.com/miche...r/RvVideos.jsp

Good luck and let us know how you make out

OL'Joe
Ol'Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 11:13 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Thanks Joe, I'll check them out for their ability to weigh all four corners. Good Miles
Old 04-04-2005, 12:37 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I deceided to check out a couple after work today. OK Storage in Norfolk could do it but it will be tight. Thier scale is a single platform but it's kind of raised somewhat higher than the ground around it. I think you can put a wheel on the extreme outside of the raised area and be pretty level all around but that's all you get. If you run by there you'll see what I mean.

Security storage and Van on Sellig is no good at all. While they have 2 scales one is literally in betweeen 2 building with only inches to spare on either side. The other is on a hill with safety rails on either sides and one neasty drop off. I'd be afraid to come out of the driver door on that side.

I talked with the guy at OK and while he thinks we're nuts to want to do a four corner weights he said if we line it up he'll weigh it.

Let me know what outfits you check on and maybe we can get the info out to all the locals.

Ol'joe
Ol'Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 02:37 PM   #10
Administrator in Memoriam

ichn2go,

Don't know about Hampton Roads, Virginia but if you just happen to be planning to attend the Winnebago-Itasca Travelers Club (WIT) rally in Perry, GA 4/21 to 4/24, the RVSEF (Recreation Vehicle Safety Education Foundation) RV Weight & Tire Safety program will be holding one of their weight seminars there.

If you can't make that one click here for their schedule of other events and locations. We had them as a vendor at our 2003 National Rally in Nashville and they did a terrific job for us.

They do much more than just weigh all the tires, they prepare a complete analysis of your rig's weight related issues including a report on tire weights, GVWR, GAWR, etc.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:31 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Well I was supposed to get mine weighed in Perry Last month but didn't. Put it off-- my motto.
This months issue of FMCA Mag has an excellent article on tires and weights. The article indicates a problem with truck scales while weighing each tire. If the RV is on an angle the true weight will be off due to the scales being higher than where the rv is resting. It will only work if you have a somewhat level place to put all wheels while one is on the scales. s/Toby