Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2020, 09:52 AM   #1
Vista 26P

Vista 26p

Just purchased a 2010 Vista 26p. When passed on the highway by vehicles pulling trailers, and some semis, we are pushed toward the edge of the highway and when the tires hit the edge, it is difficult to stay on the road. Anyone else experience this? Is this a tire problem or something else?
Nanburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 03:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2009 vista and the handling can be a bit iffy at times. When travelling at 55 and a semi or large vehicle thunders by, they are pushing a lot of air out of the way as they pass, so I usually keep an eye on my mirrors for large passing vehicles and have to steer a bit left to compensate for them as the air hits us broadside... here in europe so many trucks do over the limit so on a long road I get a bit behind them and match my speed to them so we all travel in convoy, and often get a truck 10 foot behind me in my slpstream, all fun and games...
Boldero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:23 PM   #3
Vista 26P

Thank you for your response. We have had several motor homes and not had this much of a problem before. Guess we'll have to get used to it. We are going to look into different tires and see if that helps a little.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:20 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We have a Vista 32YE and it was down right scary to drive when we test drove it. We had the dealership add a rear anti-sway bar and a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer. That made it drivable but I still had to watch my mirrors for oncoming truck to be ready for the push. I then got a front alignment and did the CHF on the front. The front end alignment made a huge difference. The front end no longer felt like it was floating at highway speeds. The CHF significantly reduced the sway and front push from trucks.

Based on this experience, I would recommend getting roadmaster anti-sway bars for front and rear and get a front alignment from a good truck chassis shop. Then see how it drives. The Safe-T-Steer is a nice add-on for safety reasons but probably not needed to make it comfortable to drive. FYI, I got the alignment at Josam in Orlando.Not cheap but a very good shop.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 02:37 PM   #5
Vista 26P

Thank you for your reply. The former owner of our rv had stabilizer bars installed. Not sure if that is the same as anti sway. We are looking into getting different tires on the front and having an alignment done. We are also considering getting the Safe-T-Steer. Have read a lot of good reviews on it. Does anyone have any negative comments? Also what is a CHF. Have not heard of that before.
We do feel better knowing that others have had this same swaying problem. We did not have it with our previous class c.
Old 08-02-2020, 05:44 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Yes, what he is calling stabilizer bars are probably upgraded anti-sway bars. The CHF is the Cheap Handling Fix. Anti-sway bars have two holes in the end where they attach to the link rods. F53 based motorhomes generally come from the factory with the links attached to the outermost holes. The CHF is moving the links to the inner holes. This stiffens the anti-sway bar thereby reducing sway. If you go to the Ford chassis forum on iRV2, you will find extremely long discussions about the CHF and chassis upgrades in general:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/

If you do have upgraded anti-sway bars, I am surprised that you would still be having significant problems with sway. Since you are going to get a front alignment anyway, take your Vista to Josam and see what they recommend. They have lots of experience with curing handling issues on motorhomes.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 06:49 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanburg View Post
Just purchased a 2010 Vista 26p. When passed on the highway by vehicles pulling trailers, and some semis, we are pushed toward the edge of the highway and when the tires hit the edge, it is difficult to stay on the road. Anyone else experience this? Is this a tire problem or something else?
Can be a multitude of problems. If you have upgraded swaybars, the CHF will not be an option. Have you looked at a rear trac-bar option? Tire pressure is very important and the alignment could be a huge help. Pavement edges are always a problem, no matter the setup. I hate it when they pave just the travel lanes and end with an edge under the white line. Gets me more often than I like.
Phil-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 01:54 PM   #8
Vista 26P

Appreciate all the information. We are learning a lot here.
Old 08-02-2020, 03:01 PM   #9
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanburg View Post
We do feel better knowing that others have had this same swaying problem.

Misery does love company...

IMHO, they should call “anti-sway” bars, “Sway Reducing” bars, as they help, but their not a panacea for all ills...
Old 08-05-2020, 05:08 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

A rear Trac-Bar will help with this condition. It will help with the “tail-wagging-the-dog” syndrome caused by semi-trucks passing. A Steering Stabilizer will help with cross-wind conditions.
T00lman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:09 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

We have the 2011 26P. When we first got it in 2017 it was a bear to drive at highway speeds being pushed and pulled all over the road. It truly was a white knuckle drive. Did the CHF myself and it actually made a big difference in our experience. I don't dread the drive much anymore.
Piper27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:56 PM   #12
Winnie Owner

Have a 2012 Vista 26P. Rear Trac-Bar made all the difference.
jarnarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:12 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2016 Itasca Sunstar, which is similar to the Vista. I did the CHF, added front and rear Sumo Springs and the Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stabilizer. It has made a big difference for handling our rig. You still feel the big trucks passing, but they don't blow us off the road. I can easily track straight ahead with one hand on the wheel if I want.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:57 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I am on my 4th Motor Home: Classes B, C and C, and now an A. In all cases I had chassis modifications to rid myself of the problem your described plus others as well.
I recommend in this order: 1. Anti-Sway Bar in the rear 2. Track Bars in the rear the same time as the rear Anti-Sway Bar, 3. Steering stabilizer, If one has leaf springs add Radius Rods to the front 4. Front Anti Sway Bar with upgraded end links 5. quad-shocks which are two FSD Koni shocks per tire. There are other modifications available but the cost begins to get real expensive. Do what I suggest and you will have a ride like and old Cadillac or Buick Road master and corner like a slot car. You may smile in a heavy cross wind watching the tumble weeds blowing straight across the road and other vehicles leaning into the wind. And when the big truck hauling duels comes by at 70 plus MPH you will notice the wind pull and pull but you will be stable and straight. Your tires are not the problem and you will know if the front end is out of alignment.
Moonie
moonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 04:27 AM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

We have a 2018 Vista LX 35F. Same experience as you are having. We did the alignment and Safe T Plus which helped a little. I hate to admit it, but my wife solved the driving problems for us by having me put on front and rear Sumo Springs. Best improvement we have done.
asweany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:27 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Look online:Air Tabs.And upgrading the stabilizer bars-ROADMASTER>.....
BobbyH is offline   Reply With Quote