Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2018, 07:40 AM   #1

Valve Stems

2004 Adventurer 33V

My rear wheel inside tire valve stems are almost impossible to get to. I can get a single finger in that hole and feel the valve stem opening but getting an air pressure doodad up there to check -or- getting the air compressor nozzle up there is impossible. Is this normal? Were these tires installed wrong? A pic of how it's supposed to look would be awesome... Thanks.
AnRVAndADog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:20 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

AnRVAndADog, The dually's have the original valve stems installed. That is how they come stock from the chassis manufacturer on all dually chassis, be it Truck or RV. Most owners will have either Valve stem extensions or longer valve stems installed. When I had my tires replaced (over 7 years old) I had longer stems installed, didn't care for just extenders, IMHO they just add another possibility for leaks. Here is where I got mine.
VH515C Brass Dually valve triple bend .453 Qty:1
Old 09-03-2018, 09:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmckinley View Post
AnRVAndADog, The dually's have the original valve stems installed. That is how they come stock from the chassis manufacturer on all dually chassis, be it Truck or RV. Most owners will have either Valve stem extensions or longer valve stems installed. When I had my tires replaced (over 7 years old) I had longer stems installed, didn't care for just extenders, IMHO they just add another possibility for leaks. Here is where I got mine.
VH515C Brass Dually valve triple bend .453 Qty:1
I was told these were relatively new tires, and they definitely look new-ish. Yep, I'm gonna need those extenders... Thanks.
AnRVAndADog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 01:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnRVAndADog View Post
I was told these were relatively new tires, and they definitely look new-ish. Yep, I'm gonna need those extenders... Thanks.
1. You can't tell the age of your tires by appearance, you need to check the
DOT date code on the tires.

2. Assuming your tires are relatively new and don't need replacing, you have a choice between:

A. Having your tires removed and have longer valve stems installed in the rims.

B. Installing valve stem extensions to your existing valve stems (relatively easy to do DIY) but not as fool-proof as longer valve stems.

3. If your tires need replacing, have longer valve stems installed in the rims.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems