Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Unified Tow Brake Controller Connections

I have a Unified Tow Brake from US Gear and am trying to find the proper connections in a 2008 Tour. I think I found the pre-installed connector based on previous posts and the mating connector that came with the Unified Tow Brake. The directions state that on coaches built prior to 1/21/08, they only had 5 wires in the connector. That is what mine has. The directions states the following:

"Find a switched 12-volt source for the remaining (red) wire that is not inserted into the pigtail connector. Freightliner recommends using their Bodybuilder Connector 1, pin B, which is a pink wire numbered 306B. This is a fused, ignition-switched connection."

Any ideas on where to find this wire and how to identify it?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
wlf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:00 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Did you call the Tech Support folks at US Gear? They are good and might be able to help
Old 08-13-2012, 05:02 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Got this from another member when I was trying to hook up my brake controller on my 2010 Tour. Should be the same for yours.

-----Original Message----- From: [email protected]
Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2012 8:56 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Wiring for Brake Controller [TrackingID-000038770]

Dear Customer,
The circuits are as follows, Pin A is circuit 36G , red wire white trace,
this is the brake signal input. Pin B is circuit 29A, this is for
backlighting, if the controller lights up with the headlamps on ( this
circuit is hot when the headlamps are on). Pin C is circuit 36T , red
wire /white trace, 12 gauge wire, this is signal out of the controller to
the 7 way at the rear. Pin D is circuit 14T, red wire, this is accessory
power. Pin E black wire, this is ground and Pin F is pink wire circuit 52
J , this is ignition power.
Hope this is what you needed. If you have further questions, please let us
know.

Sincerely,
Rhonda Lawter
FCCC Representative
Tpflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Tom,

Thanks for the info. The color codes match what I am seeing on the connector that I assumed was the brake control connector. However, you have the good fortune of having a coach built after 1/21/08 where all six wires are included in the connector. Mine evidently was built prior to that time and only has five wires.

I need to find the Bodybuilder Connector 1, pin B, which has a pink wire numbered 306B. This is supposedly a fused, ignition-switched connection.

Any ideas where I can find this wire?
Old 08-14-2012, 07:03 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Bill unfortunately, I don't know where that connector might be located. A call to Winnebago should point you in the right direction. I would guess that any power source that is switched will work if you can find one in that rats nest under the dash.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

When I installed mine (2009 Destination (Chassis built May 2007) I found an extra unused "lug" on the ignition switch that was "hot" when the key is on. I used that. Easy to get to, standard spade terminal connector.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Michael. I will consider this when I go looking again this weekend.

I contacted both Freightliner and Winnebago about where the connector may be.

Here is the first reply from Freightliner:

Quote:
The 306B is an IGN feed wire that is inserted into a 12 pin connector behind the dash instrument panel. The connector will have apx 9 wires and should be labeled body builder 1. Pin position B is wire 306B.

Sincerely,
Shaun Bridges
FCCC Representative
I then asked for a little more information about the connector and if it was an in-line connector. Here is the reply:

Quote:
The connector is a Packard 6 on 6 stack and is black and it is provided by Freightliner. The nine wires on one side will be supplied by Freightliner and the other side is used by Winnebago. If Winnebago used the other side then yes it would be considered inline, other wise the connector would be open on one side. Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Shaun Bridges
FCCC Representative
Since then, I got a call from Winnebago customer service. They indicated that they did not use or tie any wiring into this connector. I will try to locate this connector this weekend and will post what I find.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:42 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Brake Wiring

Bill, I'm not sure who the rocket scientist is that decided to make this so difficult for you. Common sense would dictate that if you are going to put a trailer hitch on the back of a motorhome that at some point someone just might decide to use it. A brake controller cost about a hundred bucks. I think it is time they integrate it with the chassis. Having a dedicated harness like in mine is better than what you are going through but including it in the build is even better. It isn't going to change the price of a coach by anything that a buyer would notice. The convienence of it being there in every new coach would be awesome!

Good Luck with you adventure!
Old 08-18-2012, 07:19 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Well I spent some time this morning looking for the Bodybuilder connector to no avail. I took out the foot rest to the left of the steering column which exposed most of the wiring. I also took the top of the dash off above the cockpit area and still could not find it.

I took Michael's advice and used an unused lug on the ignition switch. I verified that the lug that I used is only hot when the ignition is on. That worked out very well. Thanks Michael for the tip.

I pulled the car around to the back of the motorhome and hooked up the electrical connections. All is good! The wiring to the 7-pin connector seems to be correct and all is in working order. I am glad that this job is done.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:12 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlf00
Well I spent some time this morning looking for the Bodybuilder connector to no avail. I took out the foot rest to the left of the steering column which exposed most of the wiring. I also took the top of the dash off above the cockpit area and still could not find it.

I took Michael's advice and used an unused lug on the ignition switch. I verified that the lug that I used is only hot when the ignition is on. That worked out very well. Thanks Michael for the tip.

I pulled the car around to the back of the motorhome and hooked up the electrical connections. All is good! The wiring to the 7-pin connector seems to be correct and all is in working order. I am glad that this job is done.
Bill, I am glad you finally got it done. Since you used the lug off the ignition switch I am wondering if you added an inline fuse to protect the brake controller/ignition circuit?
Old 08-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Tom,

The Freightliner adapter that was provided had an in-line fuse on the ignition switched line already. But good suggestion in case it did not.

Thanks,

Tags
brake