Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2007, 02:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

The last couple of years I have heard a popping sound from around the passenger front wheel. I had the noise checked out by several shops with the the results being they found nothing. The problem got worse as I began hearing what sounded like a noisy spring in the front wheel. I took the coach to a front end shop, and they couldn't isolate the problem. I called Reyco Granning and they suggested that there had been some issues with the suspension channel that bolts to the frame rail. The wouldn't say it but they implied that the connection was coming loose. They had me try spraying WD40 between the frame rail and their top rail. The spring sound is now gone but I am getting more popping sounds. Has any Ultimate owner had any experience with this condition? I am going to call Spartan as I think the only solution is to weld the rails together since it is almost impossible to get to the bolt heads on the inside of the frame rails.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Ptribbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The last couple of years I have heard a popping sound from around the passenger front wheel. I had the noise checked out by several shops with the the results being they found nothing. The problem got worse as I began hearing what sounded like a noisy spring in the front wheel. I took the coach to a front end shop, and they couldn't isolate the problem. I called Reyco Granning and they suggested that there had been some issues with the suspension channel that bolts to the frame rail. The wouldn't say it but they implied that the connection was coming loose. They had me try spraying WD40 between the frame rail and their top rail. The spring sound is now gone but I am getting more popping sounds. Has any Ultimate owner had any experience with this condition? I am going to call Spartan as I think the only solution is to weld the rails together since it is almost impossible to get to the bolt heads on the inside of the frame rails.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Old 10-29-2007, 02:53 PM   #3
KIX
Winnebago Master

I can't help withthe problem you described but I'm interested in the conclusion.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:35 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I had a similiar noise and it was the plastic panel near the tire flapping in the wind. Winnebago applied additonal bracket and new double side tape and the noise went away. It took me forever to find it and figure out what it was. My noise began at 50 mph.

good luck please keep us posted on your issue.
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:04 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">popping sound from around the passenger front wheel </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Pat

I've heard a sharp "pop" from the right front wheel off and on over the past year only when braking ...it is one sharp "pop" when I am pressing firmly on the brake pedal. Is that similar to yours? I have never heard what I would call "a spring sound."

Possible causes I have heard is "brake clunk" due to slack adjusters popping loose? ...or maybe brake shoe movement?

If that is the cause, the cure is supposedly to lube the s-cam (zerk), maybe also cam & rollers. I did some lubing a couple of weeks ago but don't know yet if I have a solution.

Could you be more specific about the "suspension channel that bolts to the frame rail" ...tell me some reference points where to look to find that.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:01 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have heard the same thing on the 99 Freightliner chassis Suncruiser.

In harder than normal braking the left front does that popping on mine.

I have had Winny factory look at it, and they said they could see nothing wrong, and said they would grease it to see if it helps. It didn't. It has done it for years. I have basically given up trying to figure it out, I have had it looked at so many times.

It really sounds like something sticking and then letting go.

Personally I think something needs to be replaced, but the mechanics all say everything looks ok.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 02:11 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Pat, I haven't heard any noise from the front suspension that I wasn't expecting to hear. In turning or braking or doing both, the only noises I've heard were related to the movement of the suspension and the activation of the braking system. And none of those noises were out of the ordinary. Perhaps I have a problem, but have come to live with it...I don't know. But my mechanics have never found any issues with my front end.

As others have noted, please let us know if you find a solution.

2017 Cedar Creek 38EL/2015 Silverado 3500HD
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:52 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

My problem is unrelated to braking. It happens more at very slow speeds like driving inside a RV Park where the road is very uneven and the body flexes.

Reyco Granning said they had issues with movement between the top mounting channel and the frame rail. AF Chap, look at the frame rail and then look at where the front end bolts to it.

Thanks guys for your input, sounds like I have a one of a kind problem.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Old 10-30-2007, 04:16 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to Garbageman
I have a 2000 36C UA. I haven't heard or felt the noise you are describing. Does your coach have the straight axle or IFS?

Paul
Garbageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 03:12 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

It has a Reyco Granning IFS.

I was able to get a helper pipe yesterday to put on my breaker bar. I tried tightening the bolts holding front suspension to the frame rail. I got about a half turn on about 3 or 4 of them. I doubt this will fix it but will see today if it changed anything when we get underway for another 400 miles.

2003 Ultimate Advantage