Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2011, 12:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

TST: Help with TST tire monitoring system

Hello everyone. I'm hoping you guys can help me solve a problem with my TST system. I received the TST system yesterday and am installing it today. I installed the transmitters on both the front tires and both of the two inner rear tires with no issues. The problem I'm having is installing the transmitters on the two outer rear tires. I have 3 inch valve stems on the two outer rear tires and they are turned in and slightly down toward the slots in the rim. When I try to install the transmitters on these two tires the transmitters hit the rim inside the slots and prevent me from screwing onto the valve stem straight(see attached photo of valve stem position). Have any of you had this problem and is their a way to solve it other than installing new stems and facing them out away from the rim toward the outside of the tire? Any help or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110218.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	280.9 KB
ID:	8259  
Old 02-10-2011, 06:54 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

If you loosen the nut holding the valve stem to the rim, you can rotate the stem to whatever orientation you prefer. You might have to loosen the nut a couple of turns to get enough movement at the end to get it out out the opening in the rim.
I have mine pointed to the front/rear of the coach (rather than sticking out to the side) so sensor "pulls" on the stem when driving although the amount of pressure it puts on the stem when moving is likely insignificant.
Be sure to tighten the nut to about the same torque it was installed with when you have the stem repositioned. You shouldn't loose any air from the tire if you rotate the valve carefully and don't push it into the rim at the base. I have done it successfully with mine - its easier than it sounds.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:14 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

haltec he-200 90 degree valve stem extensions

i use 4 haltec he-200 90 degree valve stem extension with my old style tst tire pressure/temperature sensors. they are working well for me.
HALTEC ONLINE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0054.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	326.1 KB
ID:	8282   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0056.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	298.0 KB
ID:	8283  

01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:52 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Bob, I had considered loosing the valve nut and turning the valve like you suggest but, did not do it because I am afraid by doing this it may damage the inside rubber seal. When I replace my tires next year I am going to have new valve stems installed and turn them for easier access. I will try using the U extensions until then.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:56 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Dan L, I am going to try the U extensions like you suggest. I have had trouble in the past with some valve stems leaking but, will try the Haltec extensions.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I've mentioned this several times on the other forum: might want to loosen them once and awhile or use "Anti-Seize". All 4 on my jeep froze and I had to cut them off (and a loss of sensors). The ones on the MH have been fine.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:48 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Ted - I see your wheels have the same size slots as mine (nice shine by the way). I tried to install the TST system a year or two ago and couldn't get any of the transmitters to fit in those funny shaped slots. Some people mentioned needing to grind away some of the wheel material. I wasn't willing to do that, so I returned the system (very nice company to work with - took it back with no hassle).

Did you have to do any grinding, tweeking of the valve stems, or any other trick to get the other 4 on? If not, I'm hoping maybe the transmitters are a bit smaller now...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:46 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I've tried using those U-shaped valve stems, and had problems with them loosening up a little, causing the very problem that we all want to avoid... slow leaks. I removed them, and also hesitated to loosen the wrong-way facing stems; concerned about damaging the inside seal.

We will be a Rally Park next week, and while there, I am going to do it. If I create a leak, then I'll have to go over to the tire shop, and have them do it, but I've heard from others who have done this, that is was not a problem.

Also considered grinding out a little of the wheel cutout, for the sensor, as I otherwise have to install short, straight extensions, (which may be ok to do, with some loc-tite on the threads).

Is that what others are doing at the front wheels?
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:20 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgique View Post
I've mentioned this several times on the other forum: might want to loosen them once and awhile or use "Anti-Seize". All 4 on my jeep froze and I had to cut them off (and a loss of sensors). The ones on the MH have been fine.
We should always use anti-seize when mating dissimiliar metals or stainless steel hardware.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:33 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the advice Belgique.I see you live in Gods Country. We lived in Kill Devil Hills for five years. Beautiful part of the country.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:07 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I did not do any grinding on my rims and if that was the only way to install the transmitters then they would just stay off and go back to the company I bought from.
The transmitters are large about the size of a 2 liter bottle cap, you would think the transmitters could be a lot smaller. My front wheels have long stems that came out far enough to install transmitter with no problem or tweaking. Same with my inner rear duals, long stems that bring it out to the outer rim, no problem installing these transmitters. To solve my problem with the two outer tires I ended up buying some good quality straight, short metal valve extensions at Loves truck stop. I installed the transmiiters for the outer tires onto these extensions using some blue loctite. I then installed the extension with transmitter onto the valve stem. This positions the transmitter in between the outer tire and the inner tire. I have big hands but I had enough room to get my hand along with the supplied wrench from TST between the tires to tighten the transmitter and extension onto the valve stem. After the installation I used soapy water to check for leaks and so far have none. The reason I used loctite was twofold. 1- I obviously do not want to loose the transmitter and 2- When I need to remove the transmitter, the valve extension will come off with it so that I can use my truckers air chuck to add or relieve air if needed. This certainly is not the best scenario but will work until I install new tires next year and change the valve stems. Before installing the transmitters I checked the air pressure in all tires with a digital gauge, all tires read 105 psi. The outside temp was 29 degrees at the time. After programing the monitor with the transmitters all six tires also read 105 psi on the monitor and the tire temp for the six tires read between 33 and 36 degrees on the monitor. At 3 o'clock this afternoon the outside temp had risen to 57 degrees and all six tires read between 109 and 110 psi and the tire temp read between 50 and 53 degrees. I Hope this helps.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC06Winn39K
Hello everyone. I'm hoping you guys can help me solve a problem with my TST system. I received the TST system yesterday and am installing it today. I installed the transmitters on both the front tires and both of the two inner rear tires with no issues. The problem I'm having is installing the transmitters on the two outer rear tires. I have 3 inch valve stems on the two outer rear tires and they are turned in and slightly down toward the slots in the rim. When I try to install the transmitters on these two tires the transmitters hit the rim inside the slots and prevent me from screwing onto the valve stem straight(see attached photo of valve stem position). Have any of you had this problem and is their a way to solve it other than installing new stems and facing them out away from the rim toward the outside of the tire? Any help or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks
I would (and did) simply have new valve stems installed. A local truck tire place can do it for about $25-$30 per wheel. It will make airing up much easier as well.
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:31 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthewall View Post
I would (and did) simply have new valve stems installed. A local truck tire place can do it for about $25-$30 per wheel. It will make airing up much easier as well.
Did you change valve stems on all 6 wheels, or are you using extentions on the front wheels? Did they install straight stems on the rear wheels, or ???

I will be at L.D. tire shop next week, and would like to get this fixed, once and done.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:03 PM   #14

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBill View Post
Did you change valve stems on all 6 wheels, or are you using extentions on the front wheels? Did they install straight stems on the rear wheels, or ???

I will be at L.D. tire shop next week, and would like to get this fixed, once and done.
I changed the valve stems on all 6. Slightly longer ones on the fronts so that they reached through my SS wheel covers. If you're doing the inside rears, check out:

Dually Valve

I suggest getting the brass rather than chrome. Even after measuring and picture taking, the super long inside rear stems I ordered had to be "tweaked/bent" a wee little bit. The tire place warned me that the chrome ones are very stiff and could snap if they bent them too much. They didn't and all was fine but I was told that the brass would have had ZERO issues bending any which way.
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote