Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2021, 09:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

TPMS. What brand and style

I think I read to much very confused,
brand you suggest.
Cap or Flow thru.
Duel stem is already hard to fill. Any suggestions.
Etc ?
Thanks for your help
2003 Winnebago Journey DL 36
Kenn
Kbwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 10:19 PM   #2
Site Team

Everyone has their favorites. I use the EEZ TPMS and not the flow-through model. I even removed the anti-theft cap. I just unscrew the sensor by hand and add air as necessary. Which isn’t very often.
Old 03-14-2021, 08:55 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Everyone has their favorites. I use the EEZ TPMS and not the flow-through model. I even removed the anti-theft cap. I just unscrew the sensor by hand and add air as necessary. Which isn’t very often.
Me too... exactly the same system and approach.
Old 03-14-2021, 09:00 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I like my TST 507 easy to remove when not in use if you remove theft device.
Cataska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 10:01 AM   #5
Living The Dream

I’ve had TireTraker for about 6 or 7 years, upgraded from the original TT-400 to the TT-500. I use the cap style sensors, on motorhome and toad. Added a signal booster for more reliability of the toad signals.

Never have used the anti theft devices and have never had any sensor taken. I always leave the sensors on. Have found over the years that keeping good batteries solves many problems.

https://www.tiretraker.com/
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 04:24 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
I’ve had TireTraker for about 6 or 7 years, upgraded from the original TT-400 to the TT-500. I use the cap style sensors, on motorhome and toad. Added a signal booster for more reliability of the toad signals.

Never have used the anti theft devices and have never had any sensor taken. I always leave the sensors on. Have found over the years that keeping good batteries solves many problems.

https://www.tiretraker.com/
Another vote for Tire Traker and the new TT-600 comes with the booster. Using regular caps here, as far as ease of removal to add air I highly recommend you get a set of Borg dually valve stems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	341.7 KB
ID:	177939  
Old 03-21-2021, 05:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have done the only direct comparison of two type/brand TPMS in actual RV use I know of and posted the results on my blog on RVTireSafety.

They both worked as advertised. Pressure accuracy was as advertised at +/- 2% in the 12 sensors tested. Temperatures were within 3F or each other at ambient.
Old 03-21-2021, 05:33 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I found 3 brands recommended the most in no order.
1 Tire Minder. I went with. Found a 10 valve for $400. Non flow thru
2 TST
3 ezze
Thanks everyone for your in put.
Kenn
Kbwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:57 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

What about the Bluetooth variety? I believe TireMinder has some. I don't really care to use up dash space. Just wondering if anyone depends on an alarm instead of eyeing the pressures on a screen. Perhaps any of these could do that if they make an audible alarm.
tinglett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:52 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I have the EEZ Tire and like it as well. I have found that my Accutire gauge, another digital gauge from NAPA and a good quality stick gauge all measure right at 4 psi higher than the EEZ monitor. EEZ claims that they are accurate, but if three separate gauges say 86 and EEZ says 82, I'm going with the majority. This isn't really an issue, when I turn it on in the morning and all 6 MH tires say 80 #s I can safely assume that all are actually at 84 and I'm good to go.

The main function of my tpms is to alert me to a sudden rapid change in pressure and/or temperature in a tire so that I can pull off the road hopefully before a catastrophic failure, but it's also handy being able to read the tire pressures in the morning without having to go out and check them.
Old 03-22-2021, 04:00 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Key features for me would be
1. Ability to set the low pressure alarm level
2. Lifetime warranty
3. Ability to set the high pressure level
4 Ability to set the high temperature level to 158F (70C) if it is not already set to that level.
5. Include a signal "repeater" or booster
6 Ability to add 1 to 5 more sensors in the future if needed (+1 more for a spare, + 2 or 4 more if you move the system to one with more tires, +4 if you want to monitor your toad.) This avoids the need to buy a new system in the future when you only need additional sensors.
Old 03-23-2021, 07:00 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Key features for me would be
How about availability of internal sensors? I'll be getting a new set of tires (replacing the OEM "goodride" things) at about the same time and wonder if this might be a factor. I don't see internal sensors offered by either EEZ or TireMinder, though maybe I didn't look carefully enough.

I'm not so sure of pros/cons here so much other than the obvious anti-theft for having internal sensors. I assume they'd move to new tires as a simple matter of mounting the tires, as with any automobile.
tinglett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:12 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinglett View Post
How about availability of internal sensors? I'll be getting a new set of tires (replacing the OEM "goodride" things) at about the same time and wonder if this might be a factor. I don't see internal sensors offered by either EEZ or TireMinder, though maybe I didn't look carefully enough.

I'm not so sure of pros/cons here so much other than the obvious anti-theft for having internal sensors. I assume they'd move to new tires as a simple matter of mounting the tires, as with any automobile.

My published comparison was for TireTraker external vs TST Internal. The intermal are suppose to be good for up to 8 - 10 years so getting a new set with the new tires would be the proper time. my test showed the only difference was the temperature report with the external reporting about 20F to 30F cooler than internal which is to be expected due to external cooling air.