Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-18-2021, 07:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

TPMS Hi-temp alarm setting

I just installed a TPMS and made our first 1000+ mile trip on it. Alarms for pressure are preset at 25% high and low pressure. I was a little surprised after all the reading I have done, that the tires stayed fairly close to the ambient air temperature. It was 70 degrees outside and the tires all stayed under 85 degrees. I live in TX and I know our normal summer temps are 90 to 100 degrees. Where should I be setting my high temperature alarm for my tires? Is there a rule of thumb for a percentage above ambient?

Thanks,
Jim
jimkamery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:08 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

What may be more important is the tire pressure.

Our 21VD has VanContact A/S tires, which are rated for up to 80 PSI. WBO specifies 61 PSI. Lichtsinn installed a TireMinder A1A TPMS in our View.

The A1A triggers a high temperature warning when the internal temperature hits 167F (75C) and then again at 185F (85C). Our tire temperatures when running in 100 degree Texas heat never triggered a high temperature warning.

However... We did trigger high pressure warnings. The A1A will issue a warning when pressure is 20% above the baseline pressure. If the baseline is set to WBO's recommendation of 61 PSI then the high pressure warning is trigger when the tire is 72-73 PSI.

This is still well below the max tire pressure for our tires (per the manufacturer).

Since the A1A doesn't have a way to set the trigger point for the high pressure warning (it's always 20% above midline), I increased the baseline pressure slightly to move the high temperature warning a little higher, but kept the trigger point a couple of points below 80 (to provide some margin).

Before that change, we were getting a high pressure warning on almost every drive last summer - and after the change, we haven't had that happen.

Plus, we had nitrogen added to the tires, which also helps to slows heating of the tires, keeping the pressure a little lower while driving at high speeds in high temperatures.

Recommend you look at the specifications for your specific tires. Continental (who manufacturers our tires) does not provide a temperature specification - only a max pressure.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:10 AM   #3
Site Team

The high temp setting isn’t very important. In hot temps we routinely see 115+ degrees on our tires which are cold inflated to 95 degrees. Most TPMS devices come with the high setting at 158 degrees and they also recommend that you leave it there.
Old 05-18-2021, 02:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Need Help with TPMS

I bought a Tymate solar powered tpms for our MM. can’t get it to work.
Charge it up fully on usb, set low pressure alarm to 45psi.
Air up tires to 50psi as measured by digital tire gauge
Screw on tire stem monitors.
Turn on base unit and immediately get low pressure alarm on two tires.
This is a highly rated tpms, so I must be doing something wrong.
What am I screwing up?
Old 05-18-2021, 02:57 PM   #5
Site Team

Sounds to me like there is simply a difference in the two pressure sensor devices - your tire gauge vs your screw on TPMS sensors. My digital tire pressure gauge is about 5 PSI different than my TPMS screw on sensors. I don't know which one is correct but I do know to expect it.

No two gauges are exactly the same and since you only have a 5 psi range you are most likely to get an alarm very often.

You just need to figure out which one of your readings is correct and adjust the TPMS settings accordingly.