Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2018, 10:00 PM   #1
Mark

TPMS and valve extenders

Hey all. I have a fresh 2018 Vista 32ye. I’d like to put a TPMS on it, was hoping someone could give me the right angles (45 Deg front, 135 Deg rear?) for valve stem extenders and then I was expecting to get some oval rubber valve stem stabilizer to hold the stem and TPMS sensor tightly. Has anyone already done this? Part numbers and sizes? Tires are 19.5” on Ford F53 chassis...
Raiderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 12:22 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have a Minnie Winnie so my application may not work on yours. After trying a couple other extensions on the front I ended up with the 135 degree model. For the duals I bought a kit with flexible stainless steel braided extensions. Getting the extensions on the inside wheels and routing them without kinking was a bit tricky but its doable. The kit also included a bracket for each extension that is screwed to the wheel cover and provides a stable mounting point for the inlet end of the extensions. The kit did not include the rubber stabilizers you mentioned so I put some short sections of 3/8" electrical wire loom on the extensions to protect them from chaffing on the wheel and wheel cover openings. I don't remember the name of the manufacturer of the kit, but if you're interested I'll get it for you. The cost was $89.00 if I remember right.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:59 AM   #3
Mark

Thanks! Good info. Hope to gather a bit more.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:57 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

In the long run you're going to be better off with solid extended valve stems that mount in place of your existing valve stems. This will eliminate any flailing around.

Borg is one manufacturer. The downside is that they are not a DIY install since the wheels need to be removed and the bead "broken" in order to access the inside of the rim. If you need new tires anyway, now's the time.

In some postings I've seen others quote a pretty reasonable installation charge even if not getting new tires so check around before discarding this option.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 09:16 AM   #5
Veteran & RV Owner

When I had my tires rotated on my first (used) motorhome, I had them put on value stem extensions and brackets to hold them. I couldn't even get to the stems on the rear inboard tires. When I traded for my 2016 Winnebago Adventurer, I made it a point to check the tires during PDI to make sure they all had valve stem extensions....and it did!
armullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:34 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

What BobC said - the solid one's are best. If you're in the Phoenix area I got mine here: https://www.firebirdtire.com/service...e=dually-valve
jimgior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 01:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Just to clarify, "valve extensions" are usually flexible (but may be solid) and screw on to your existing valve stems that are mounted to your rims.

"Extended valve stems", like the Borgs are solid and replace your existing, rim mounted valve stems. To add to the confusion, these may, in some cases, also be referred to by the term "valve extension".
Old 12-28-2018, 04:53 PM   #8
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderfan View Post
Hey all. I have a fresh 2018 Vista 32ye. I’d like to put a TPMS on it, was hoping someone could give me the right angles (45 Deg front, 135 Deg rear?) for valve stem extenders and then I was expecting to get some oval rubber valve stem stabilizer to hold the stem and TPMS sensor tightly. Has anyone already done this? Part numbers and sizes? Tires are 19.5” on Ford F53 chassis...
I have a new 32YE also, bought in Oct. I'm currently doing this exact search, and have new extensions on my desk at home to try out. Here's are some considerations:

1. Flexible hose extension will not conduct the heat from the rim to the sensor adequately to provide relevant temps. Solid tube extenders are more effective if you care about tire temperature readings from your TPMS.

2. There are 3 different shaped extenders needed. One for Front, Inside Rear, and Outside Rear tires, they all require different shapes and lengths.

3. Using the kind of extensions that require the tire to be removed to install the extender will dedicate that tire to it's position, either a FRONT, INSIDE REAR, or OUTSIDE REAR. This limits your ability to rotate, if that matters to you. Keep in mind, that many RVs will need their tires replaced before the tread is worn out, so rotating isn't important. Tires need replaced about every 6 to 8yrs for rubber breakdown from the sun and the elements, regardless of tread amount. So depending on how many miles you drive in that time period, rotation may not be important..

4. Solid tube screw on extenders, used on all tires can be removed and used in any position, because they simply screw onto your existing stock metal valve stems. This includes a spare tire (if you carry one).

I will be trying out my extender this weekend, after I finish up my 1000W inverter install (almost done). I'll report back how my first samples work. However, I don't have my TST system to actually install the TPMS sensors. I'm still considering a Pressure Pro system, but I'm leaning TST.

Some notes on what I found so far:
1. The inside rear seems the most difficult. It appears to need a 6" straight extension. Unfortunately, when I look at the inside rear stem, it appears a straight stem barely won't work with the stainless steel liners. It may require grinding grooves in the liner, but I'll find out this weekend.
2. The front wheels seem the easiest to extend, and I'm pretty sure the extension I bought will work OK with a TST TPMS sensor with flow through.
3. It's key to understand the front tires can destroy a sensor if you hit a curb if the sensor sticks out too far, so limiting the reach on the front should be a goal to minimize risk.
4. To use the theft deterrent system (set screw scheme) on the sensors, it's convenient to BUY THE FLOW THROUGH SENSORS so you don't have to remove the sensor to air up the tire. Most newbies don't realize how the theft deterrent system works when they by the NON FLOW-THROUGH type, and after they realize the hassle, they stop using the theft deterrent set screws and risk theft instead.
John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 09:24 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I have an EEZ TPMS and the theft deterrent fittings use a special wrench and are a pain. Fortunately they are removable and I can use the sensors without them.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:31 PM   #10
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I have an EEZ TPMS and the theft deterrent fittings use a special wrench and are a pain. Fortunately they are removable and I can use the sensors without them.
Yeah, that's why I brought this up. It's really a pain unless you have the flow through type sensor so you can fill the tire without removal. I think with TST brand system the flow through type are the same price if I remember right. But with EEZ brand, the flow through type are 2 1/4" long, which presents other problems, so the non flow through type with EEZ is the best option, IMO.

Here are photos of EEZ flow through, and non flow through, with and without theft deterrent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EEZ flow through.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	170774   Click image for larger version

Name:	EEZ non flow through.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	170775  

Old 12-28-2018, 10:46 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

The special install/uninstall wrench that comes with the TST sensors is sometimes a bit awkward to use, but at least there are none of those hard-to-access set screws to deal with.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:58 PM   #12
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeagle View Post
The special install/uninstall wrench that comes with the TST sensors is sometimes a bit awkward to use, but at least there are none of those hard-to-access set screws to deal with.
Yeah, but the length on the TST isn't any better with the flow through type. This needs to be carefully weighed for each application. Maybe the front tires should be non flow through, since they may stick out too much, vulnerable to damage. The rear wheels would be no problem with the longer flow through type since they would be safely tucked away, a good distance from the outside tire edge.

TST flow through Sensor Dimensions: 2-5/16" Height x 1-1/4" Width x 1-5/16" Depth.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TST flow through.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	170776  
Old 12-29-2018, 01:14 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

As I recall the difference in length between the standard sensors and the flow throughs is only 1/2" to 3/4". The angle of the extensions will likely be the biggest factor in how far the sensors protrude from the wheel.
Old 12-29-2018, 04:33 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

I have no first hand experience with them but I've read about clogging issues with the flow through sensors. How significant this is, or how it might vary by brand, I don't know, just something else to research.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:00 AM   #15
Mark

Great info. Thanks! Please share the results, John. I got valve extenders ar Camping World yesterday just to be able to check tire pressure for now.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:43 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

This is the first time I've ever heard of a clogging issue with the sensors. I can't imagine what might cause that except maybe forgetting to put the caps on.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:12 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Went to our Winnie in winter storage today to do the monthly generator run. While shoveling snow around the rig I studied the sensor/extension arrangement and came to the conclusion that the fronts may indeed be vulnerable to curb strikes. Once she's out of storage this spring I'll look into modifying them so they don't protrude as much.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:31 AM   #18

I always use the stainless steel tire valves. They work great with the Tire Tracker TT-500 TPMS system.

I buy them from "Your TireShop Supply". I just ordered my third set for my new 29VE. The local truck repair place will install them and balance the tires. You can find them here: Dually valve kits for Motor-homes, Busses and 6-wheeled chassis

Good luck,
ddaudelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:24 PM   #19
Let's kill some bugs!

Selecting valve stem extenders for a TPMS installation isn't as easy as it should be.

1. The best option is to install high quality metal extenders that require removing your tires to install them. This is more reliable underway because there are less connections that could go bad and leak. However, this option is the most expensive, the most hassle, and it dedicates each wheel to one of three tire positions on the RV, either FRONT, INSIDE REAR, or OUTSIDE REAR. This is because the extension is only appropriate for one position to be used.

2. Screw on adapter extensions generally work OK, but they are not optimal for tire temperature, and they have more risk of failure, because of more connections. Also, these adapters aren't as sturdy because of the rubber o-ring between the extension and the valve stem. You will notice they will wobble or move with force by hand (simulating centrifugal force). Be careful screwing them on too hard with pliers, as this may cause the o-ring fail if too tight.

3. On the F53 Ford chassis, the rear inside tire cannot be extended with a solid tube screw on extender. It requires a flex hose type to "screw on", and my 32YE came with one already screwed on. This means for the inside rear tire may no have relevant temperature sensing, as the hose will not conduct the heat as good as a solid metal tube extender from the rim.

On an F53 Chassis (such as my 32YE) the front tire can use a 45 or 90 degree extension. I think the 90 degree will be best to use with a TPMS. The centrifugal force of the sensor seems like less risk if I use the 90 instead of 45, after the sensor is installed. Unfortunately BOTH extenders expose the sensor to damage if I hit a curb while parking. As a result I need to be more careful with rubbing my wheels against things. I think I will use the smaller NON FLOW THROUGH type on the front wheels because they are usually smaller and lighter.

On the rear, only the outside wheel can use a solid metal tube type, the 135 degree works best.

On my 32YE, Winnebago installed a short 1" straight extension on the outside rear. To use the 135 degree extension, I remove the 1" extension to install the 135 extension, and then install the straight 1" extension on the end of the 135 degree extension. This may or may not be my end result after I get my TPMS, but I think to have adequate length to install the sensor (not sure yet) this little 1" extension (shown below) may be needed with the stainless steel wheel covers installed, as shown below. So don't thrown those 1" extensions away.

These are the extensions I used.

I also tried a 6" straight extension for the insider rear (shown below). However they wouldn't work given the ergonomics of the stock metal valve stem. You can see in the 5th photo below that shows the stock flexible tube extension from Winnebago. You can see the angle of the stock F53 valve stem would not accommodate a straight 6" solid tube extension, because it would hit the rim of the outside rear tire. I'm shipping the 6" straight extensions (shown in the 6th photo below) back to Amazon, they just won't work. It's important to note, the screw collar on the 6" extension is solid, it doesn't swivel like the other extensions. This prevented the option of bending the 6" extension to exit the outside rim hole properly.

The first two photos below are front tire, showing 45 and 90 degree extensions.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	45 degree extension.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	170785   Click image for larger version

Name:	90 degree extension.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	170786  

Name:	135 degree extension install.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	170787   Click image for larger version

Name:	135 degree extension.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	170788  

Name:	flex extensions.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	170789   Click image for larger version

Name:	Straight extension.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	170790  

Name:	short extension.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	170791   Click image for larger version

Name:	short norm extension.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	170792  

Old 01-01-2019, 09:42 AM   #20
Mark

Update: I installed the 135 Deg extenders on rear outside tire, so all stems now available for tire pressure reading and inflation. Ordered the Borg stainless stems as suggested, and I plan on having my local Pete’s install them at a later date. Then will probably get the eeztire system and use the non-theft deterrent sensors. Thanks for all the information and insight!