Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2021, 04:34 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Tpms 2021 View

We are within a month of taking possession of our new 2021 View and I’m in the process of getting various mods and accessories lined up.

I see a lot of talk of TPMS systems and it seems there is a considerable confirmation bias among discussion of these systems. A couple of things have jumped out at me about these units:

1) They provide more accessible real-time data and alerts than a built in chassis TPMS from MB, although it appears it can be easily monitored

2) They are downstream of the valve vs upstream, and this strikes me as a point of failure for inflation - built in TPMS uses valve sets sensors inside the rim, whereas aftermarket are on the valve stem which involves having the valve depressed to read pressure meaning the only thing holding air in is the security of the valve stem sensor unless there is some other mechanism to prevent air loss I’m unaware of

The new MBUS chassis comes with built in TPMS that reads pressure not just a low warning, and is accessible from the info screen. I realize it’s not for dualie rears, but still likely accurate assuming you have synced pressures. Yes it does not warn of a pressure loss on the unmonitored tire, but still allows for setting of baseline pressures easily, and has the safety of an upstream system.

Is this one of the solution looking for a problem type of issues or a real must have? Anyone use just the built in system and fine with it?
37NG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 07:49 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I use an added TPMS as I do want my tires all around monitored, especially the duals which are difficult to see or feel in the ride until they blow out.
But I do see lots of good points on a set already built in.

Built in does away with several things that I do not like on the added. Airing them is slightly more difficult but the bigger factor is the added weight on the stems and how to secure that so that it is not constantly stressing the valve stem is a big item to consider.
If you can get a builtin system that monitors all wheels, I would definitely go that way over the added items an addon can give like temp, alarms settings, etc.
I like the way my cars TPMS work and would be fine with the same on Rv---if I could get it all around and know more about the duals.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
view