Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2016, 02:38 PM   #1

Towed vehicle brake

Are folks out there running with no brakes on the towed vehicle? I looked at a few used Jeeps on the lots last week and noticed tow bars but no evidence of a braking system.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:22 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Brad.
The majority of towed vehicles are using portable braking systems like Brake Buddy, which are removed when not being used. That is why you are not seeing them as an installed item.

There are many states where Toad braking is mandatory. If the state you are from does not require them, and you go through a state that does require them, you must have them.

There are a lot of threads in here dealing with this issue.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

We've use the RaodMaster BrakeMaster unit on two different toweds and two different MH's now.
As far as laws TonyDi has it correct.
But to add to that: WA, OR and CA use a performance spec to determine the need for add'l braking. Our rig easily surpasses the requirements BUT WA also requires a breakaway device the will hold the towed in place for 15 min on any normal highway grade. So, even though I pass one criteria I wouldn't pass the second one without a braking device.
Now, will you ever get stopped or ticketed for not having brakes? Who knows? I got stopped for speeding in CA last year and hadn't installed the braking system in the new rig. Officer never even noticed nor asked me about it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
Are folks out there running with no brakes on the towed vehicle? I looked at a few used Jeeps on the lots last week and noticed tow bars but no evidence of a braking system.
nope. we use the Unified Tow Brake (no defunct) from US Gear on both of our Jeeps ('03 Wranger and a '10 Liberty). some aux braking systems are portable and do not require any sort of permanent install. keep in mind that many (most? all?) motorhome braking systems are designed for the GVWR of the MH and not any towed vehicle.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:07 PM   #5

Ah, that makes sense! I didn't even think about the portable ones.

Thanks all. I have a Stay-in-play "partway" installed. Guess I better finish it. CO does require one over 3,000 lbs.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:17 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Brad, you will like the stay n play once installed. I had the Blue Ox Patriot in my last toad and found it to be a PIA. When I bought the truck I decided to go with the stay n play. Money well spent!
Old 06-13-2016, 04:37 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

There is certainly no shortage of posts on this topic, or opinions.

I used to use the Blue OX Patriot brake box also, but then upgraded to the M&G system. It is far superior, and I would recommend you look into it, or the Air Force 1 system, IF you have air brakes that you can tap into. Both offer true proportional braking and are easy to use once installed.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandGloria View Post
Brad, you will like the stay n play once installed. I had the Blue Ox Patriot in my last toad and found it to be a PIA. When I bought the truck I decided to go with the stay n play. Money well spent!
Thanks Tom - I read good things about it. I'm hesitating, as we just bought the pusher and didn't realize the brake lights come on with exhaust brake so it is going to be a little problematic on the mountain passes. Ultimately I should pop for the Air Force 1, but I hate to drop that kind of money again, and won't get much for this one.

I'm think best case is it will be turned way down to keep from smoking the Jeep brakes and it will satisfy the break-away. Good enough for now.

If I get a heavier Jeep (which I'm looking to do), I'll switch over to the air driven Air Force 1 I guess.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:24 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
keep in mind that many (most? all?) motorhome braking systems are designed for the GVWR of the MH and not any towed vehicle.
True, our rig weighs 46,700 dry, it's GVWR is 54,000. So even fully loaded and towing the ODY we're under the GVWR by a little bit. Still have brakes on the towed.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:31 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

You will find that most states require aux brakes on anything over 2k lbs.
Besides without aux brakes your stopping distance goes way up and you know how those 4 wheelers like to cut us off then throw on the brakes to make a turn
Old 06-14-2016, 06:28 AM   #11

We just replaced our us gear brake system with the Stealth by Brake Buddy. It's permanently installed in our Ford Expedition. All I have to do is set the car for towing and it's activated when I plug in. So easy :-)
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 03:30 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

I am not sure about all remote brake systems built. There is more to the brake system then just assisting your RV to handle the extra load. I have the Brake Buddy and it will stop the toad if it separates from your tow vehicle. It has a brake away cable between the RV and toad that separate and will active the Buddy to stop the Toad. Think about a run away 3500 lb + car traveling down the road at 55 mph and no one in it, two lane roads and head on collisions. (Liability) Sure I have cables as well, how many lbs will they hold up to? Are they old and rusty, scuffed or broke wires?
Aircraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 05:58 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post

We use the RV1Brake as we were towing 2 different jeeps for awhile ...a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited and the 2004 Jeep Cherokee limited that we towed since new but are selling it now....we found it to work well and easy to go in and out...Chuck
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:17 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
You will find that most states require aux brakes on anything over 2k lbs.
Not true! What is true is the some states require them. Lots of people, including those that make the charts, think that if you're towing something it's a "trailer" Not true, there is a distinction between towing a non-motorized vehicle and towing a motorized vehicle. That's why almost every chart of towing laws out there is wrong.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster52 View Post
We use the RV1Brake as we were towing 2 different jeeps for awhile ...a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited and the 2004 Jeep Cherokee limited that we towed since new but are selling it now....we found it to work well and easy to go in and out...Chuck
Chuck, just looked at the RVi2Brake. Kind of cool and that would eliminate my concern with the exhaust brake lights wearing out my brakes. Bonus is, CO made! I'm thinking......
Old 06-14-2016, 07:34 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

Also look at Ready Brake. Lower cost, simple operation and quick hook up. Read about it on this site.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 04:54 AM   #17

The stealth has the same ability to stop the tow car if the cables should fail. It just doesn't require the separate break away cable like we had on us gear.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, tow