Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2009, 01:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I traded my 99 Mini motor home for an 07 Winnebago . The old rig had a spare tire and a bin to carry it in. The new Winne does not. I know most people do not carry a spare. My question.....what do I do if I have a flat? I will call my road service but will they bring me a tire? Will they put it on the existing rim? Or will I have to purchase a tire and rim? Will this be really expensive? Should I carry an extra tire or tire and rim? Gee, you would think Ive never been out on the road. But with the old rig there was no question. Thanks for all the advise I know Im going to get.
Dive-n-diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

If you are taking a long trip, like to Alaska or Mexico, you might want to carry a spare tire only. Emergency services should be able to mount the tire on your wheel.

2002 36GD Journey DL
Robert Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:33 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

My very concern for several years, but where do you put a 39" diameter tire without building a special undercoach bracket. And trying to find a used tire in decent shape so as not to have to pay $400-$500 for a new one just to lug around is like hunting for hen's teeth. Any used tires I've been able to locate have already been recapped.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:33 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

My first motorhome, a 1997 Adventurer, had a mounted spare under the rear of the motorhome. My current rig had on spare. When we got new tires, I kept one of the old tires and put it in a storage compartment.

If you have a good road service, they should be able to send a tire guy with a new tire and they can usually mount the tire wherever you happen to be. My concern was being somewhere and having to wait a day or two for the right tire..with a spare, I could call ahead, find the right tire, and move on.

If you don't travel to remote places and have tires that are fairly common and/or likely to be available at a dealer, you should be fine without a spare.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

I have had two blow outs and had a spare tire only with me each time. It was an hour ordeal to get road service there to mount the spare. Without a spare I would have been sitting roadside for many hours because no one around here (the Midwest) keeps my 22" size tire in stock and only Michelen makes the exact size I need. One blowout was on the interstate, the other was in a town of 7,500 population. I won't go anywhere without a spare. MIKE
SEMO Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:47 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have always carried a spare tire. The reasons have been mentioned in the previous posts. Just because I'm retired, doesn't mean I have time to waste.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:07 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I bought the spare because I was going to Alaska. If not, no, I probably would not have a spare. Having said that I do think having a spare is a good idea, but if your rig is new don't sweat it.
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:32 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I always carry a spare tire without the rim. I don't want to be stranded waitng forever on road service to locate a tire that got trashed from a blowout. My time is worth something.
Bob O
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:34 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

All sound advice. I on the other hand don't carry one. Although my coach didn't come with a spare tire, it does have a spare tire compartment. Only problem is, if I load a tire in there I will have no room for my camping chairs and other junk.

Since tires are dated and eventually become unsafe to use, wouldn't one have to trash an unused spare tire simply because it is too old? Just a thought...

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:54 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

TO get your money's worth out of a spare, you would have to swap it with another tire occasionally and put some miles on the tread. Also help preserve it by circulating the chemicals in the rubber. Even then, you are probably going to have all the tires die of old age before you get the mileage out of them.

We just run the risk of having to wait somewhere for a tire. We would still have tv and happy hour, even if the "camp site" was not of our choosing!
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:28 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Have Been driving Class A's since 1993 and have never carried a spare. Only one Blow out on Interstate and called road service and they brought new tire with them and installed it on side of road. Need space for "my stuff" not a tire.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:26 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Previous owner of my 6 month old coach at time of purchase had purchased a spare and placed it under the bed platform. It’s still there after 25,000 miles and will be if I ever need it. I would rather have it underneith the coach on a mounting rack but am just too lazy and cheap to get it down there.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:48 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

My MH came with a spare. It was one of my requirements. Won't leave home without it.
zigzagrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:34 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

My first M/H was a Itasca class C 31', had four blowouts before I learned how to manage the tires. One was in middel western Nebraska. It would have taken two days for someone to bring me a tire. I now have 19.5" tires some my voyage came with a spare.
If I ever get a DP I will have a mount welded to my trailer hitch and carry a 22" tire there
Old 02-19-2009, 02:44 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

I ruined my spare tire and wheel last year due to the bracket holding them to the MH breaking. I drove back home over 1000 miles after the incident with no spare. I've been motorhoming for 25 years without a blowout, however I've always had a spare tire and wheel. Always considered the spare good insurance. I decided that at 71 I'm not going to change a tire myself any more, but I know that RV tires are not always redialy available just everywhere. I bought a tire, but not an expensive Goodyear as those on the MH, a cheaper one for a spare. Since I no longer have a place for the spare on the MH, I carry it in the back of the Jeep grand cherokee toad. Just returned from a 3000 mile trip and felt comfortable with my insurance in the Jeep.
Rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:48 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

I have had a blowout and do have a spare. My 4 hour wait for a proper tire truck to be sent could have turned into days if I did not have the mounted spare with me. I found out later that local forest fires is what had delayed the real tire service vehicles arrival. A change in the wind could have turned this event into a total loss. I won't travel without a spare as for me it is good insurance that in an emergency I'll have a better chance than those that travel without one.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:51 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Can't say I have ever needed one, but I have always carried a mounted spare tire and wheel on or in all the motorhomes I have owned. I have been in locations where if I did need a tire, one would simply not be available to me at that particular location or time. I once blew a tire on the 4th of July on the toad, while on the way to Yellowstone. Had to put on that space saver spare it came equipped with, and wait till the next day, then drive 70 miles at 50 mph to the nearest place in order to purchase a full size replacement tire for it. Don't want the same experience with the coach. And no its not equipped with a space saver spare.

Dieselclacker
Old 02-21-2009, 04:25 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Many of you folks seem to have a spare tire carrier. Keep in mind that the OP and most DP owner's don't. Unless I'm missing the mark, I think the OP is asking what people without spare tire carriers do.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:48 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Should I carry an extra tire or tire and rim?
This has always been a conundrum for me, too. Weighing my coach tells me to reduce front end weight, and that is where my mounted spare is carried. I've never had to use it, but you know the old problem - effluent occurs (stuff happens) especially when you're least prepared. How about a compromise; an unmounted spare? I'm not going to change a flat myself at my age anymore, either, but at least if I have the tire, the road service could mount it at the site, no? Opinions, please?
Old 02-21-2009, 08:01 AM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

We carry an unmounted spare in one of the basement compartments and then fill it and the space around it with other stuff I must have and will probably never use...Just in case of course...

Grumpy Dave is offline   Reply With Quote