Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2010, 09:13 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Tires for 2006 Adventure

while checking my tire pressure on my 2006 Adventure on the Workhorse Chasis I noticed that there is some small splits on the sidewalls around the lettering - probably a 16th - 8th inch long. is this a sign of impending tire failure ? the current tires are Michelin 235/80R22.5 XRV - should I replace with the same make and brand? has anyone changed the duallys over to the new single tire ? what are the pros and cons and does Winnebago support this concept? thanx for your input. Len
LKANER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

A few months ago I had to replace the tires on my coach and decided on the Bridgestone because they match the Michelin tire size closer than any other. I am not a fan of Michelin. I was seriously looking at the Toyos but the Bridgestone were a closer match which means my speedometer is less than a half mile an hour off. Mine were the 255. I do not believe you can get a single in your size as they are for the larger sizes.

You will get a variety of answers about tires, like what kind of oil to use. Some stay with Michelin, but IMHO many don't. Someone once posted a calculator you can use to determine the difference in the speedometer between tire makes. If interested you could do a search for it.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:41 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

LUKANER -Could you share your mileage and the tire’s manufactures date code with us please. Due to age I’m starting to watch my tires much closer but haven’t’ detected the hairline cracks you describe. I've also read threads that have indicated some cracking signs are acceptable and to have the tires checked by a reputable Michilin dealer. Good luck in you decision making.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:03 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive View Post
A few months ago I had to replace the tires on my coach and decided on the Bridgestone because they match the Michelin tire size closer than any other. I am not a fan of Michelin. I was seriously looking at the Toyos but the Bridgestone were a closer match which means my speedometer is less than a half mile an hour off. Mine were the 255. I do not believe you can get a single in your size as they are for the larger sizes.

You will get a variety of answers about tires, like what kind of oil to use. Some stay with Michelin, but IMHO many don't. Someone once posted a calculator you can use to determine the difference in the speedometer between tire makes. If interested you could do a search for it.
Olive, I was always under the assumption that if you got the same size tire all brands would be the same size. was I mis-led?
mikf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I was always under the assumption that if you got the same size tire all brands would be the same size. was I mis-led?
The wheel size is the same but the manufacturers vary the other dimemsions slightly, some more than others. IMHO it is to keep one in their brand. I know there are people here with a lot of tire knowledge who can jump in with a good explaination.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:30 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

the date code is 1405 and milage is 27800 - I emailed Winnebago and inquired about the X tire and basically they will not recommend tires, so... I have an appointment for Tuesday at $366 a tire plus mounting, balancining and front end alignment. speaking about balancing, the gave me different alternatives and I didn't know what the difference was so I chose spin balance with weights. should I be looking at the beads ? thanx for any advise it sure is appreciated. Len
LKANER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

235/80R22.5 37.1 in diameter --Michelin
G670 RV MRT 245/75R22.5 G 37.0 diameter---Goodyear

not much difference in diameter no speedo change
ccook129 is offline   Reply With Quote