Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-01-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Tire Valve Stem Extentions

I have a new 2013 Itasca Sunstar 30T that has been amazingly problem free so far in its first month & three trips, but I can't seem to find a good solution to adding air to the tires.

It came with a long flexible tube valve extention on one of the rear tires & a short rigid extender on the other. I cannot find a way to fill all 6 tires with a single air chuck. Because of the pressure (110 lbs) & the time it takes with a 150 LB air compressor, I need to use a lock-on air chuck but I can't get it to work on all but the two tires with the flexible tube extender without removing the hub caps to get to the stems. The dealer gave me 90 degree rigid extenders to use but they are too long to fit through the holes in the hub caps.

It seems like all 6 tires should be set up so I can easily use the same lock-on chuck to easily fill all 6 tires.

What are others doing?

Thanks,
Cass Sumrall
Cass Sumrall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass Sumrall View Post
I have a new 2013 Itasca Sunstar 30T that has been amazingly problem free so far in its first month & three trips, but I can't seem to find a good solution to adding air to the tires.

It came with a long flexible tube valve extention on one of the rear tires & a short rigid extender on the other. I cannot find a way to fill all 6 tires with a single air chuck. Because of the pressure (110 lbs) & the time it takes with a 150 LB air compressor, I need to use a lock-on air chuck but I can't get it to work on all but the two tires with the flexible tube extender without removing the hub caps to get to the stems. The dealer gave me 90 degree rigid extenders to use but they are too long to fit through the holes in the hub caps.

It seems like all 6 tires should be set up so I can easily use the same lock-on chuck to easily fill all 6 tires.

What are others doing?

Thanks,
Cass Sumrall
I bought DuallyValve rigid stems that are long enough to use a lock on chuck, They come with a rubber stabilizer that fits in the wheel hand hole

See HERE

I had them installed when I put new tires on at seven years. I wish I had done it years earlier.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I reccommend Dually Valves as well.

Expedition Exchange Incorporated :: Wheels & Tires :: Alligator Double Seal Valve Cap (V2B)

I added Alligator valve caps as well which makes filling and checking tires a breeze. You can fill and check your tire w/o removing them. The Alligator brand is solid and reliable.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Why are you running 110# in your tires. Have you had your rig weighed? I only run about 75# in my Fiesta as it weighs 15000# ready to roll. Is 110# the pressure on the side of the tire? If it is, that's the maximum pressure for the maximum load that the tire is rated to carry.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackymac View Post
Is 110# the pressure on the side of the tire? If it is, that's the maximum pressure for the maximum load that the tire is rated to carry.
Actually it's the MINIMUM cold pressure required to support the maximum weight rating of the tire.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackymac View Post
Why are you running 110# in your tires. Have you had your rig weighed? I only run about 75# in my Fiesta as it weighs 15000# ready to roll. Is 110# the pressure on the side of the tire? If it is, that's the maximum pressure for the maximum load that the tire is rated to carry.
X2, I run 100 in the rear & 105 in the front and I weigh 36K plus. 110# sounds like high to me but suggest you get your rig weighed and inflate to the tire mfg. ratting based on actual loaded weight.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
I bought DuallyValve rigid stems that are long enough to use a lock on chuck, They come with a rubber stabilizer that fits in the wheel hand hole

See HERE

I had them installed when I put new tires on at seven years. I wish I had done it years earlier.
I have those on my 22.5 duals and they are AWESOME. With the black rubber support plug you can hardly notice they are actually there.
On the outside dual I replaced the long valve stem with stubbies so the wheels are easier for buffing/polishing around the valve stem area.
Very easy and FAST for pressure checking.
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Does the DuallyValve attach to the existing stem or do the tires have to be removed to install them?

I am experimenting with tire pressure. I picked it up from the dealer with 90 all around, but the dealer said it would handle better with 110 & it does so far. 110 is the minimum pressure at max weight as stated on the tires. I have not had it weighed but my calculations tell me I am probably about 500 lbs under max.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I inflate my tires to what the decal inside the motorhome next to the drivers says to run: which is 105 front, 100 rear. I didn't even look at what the sidewall says since the tire is manufactured for many different types of vehicles.
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Does the DuallyValve attach to the existing stem or do the tires have to be removed to install them?

I am experimenting with tire pressure. I picked it up from the dealer with 90 all around, but the dealer said it would handle better with 110 & it does so far. 110 is the minimum pressure at max weight as stated on the tires. I have not had it weighed but my calculations tell me I am probably about 500 lbs under max.
I know mine are straight and screw on to the existing stem. There is an actuator rod inside to press on the valve core when checking and filling.
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:21 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

During our second Freightliner service the oval rubber inserts to support the inner dual valve stems were found. They had been somehow stuffed between the aluminum wheels and had survived over 11,000 miles before being properly installed!
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:08 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Actually it's the MINIMUM cold pressure required to support the maximum weight rating of the tire.
Actually it is the "Maximum Cold Inflation" and load rating on the side of the tires.

Chart

So if the Max Cold Inflation is 110PSI, the load for that pressure is stamped on the tire. Inflating past that pressure void warranties and is dangerous. Inflating less than that is okay as long as you do not go past the manufacturer's lowest pressure rating for the load.

Choice of wording I guess!
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:17 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

The dually valve stems replace the OEM valve stems so the tire has to be removed to install them.

Dually valve stems with the alligator caps as stated above make it easy to check your tire pressure and add/deflate if needed.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

The Dually system sounds like the way to go but I think I'll wait for a tire change since it sounds like the tires have to be pulled to install them & the coach is new. I can do the fronts easily with the Alligator extenders & its pretty easy to pull the hubcaps for the rears & then they are easy as well with my lock-on air chuck.

I wish I could get a better handle on tire pressure but opinions seem to vary widely. The dealer says anything from the 82 PSI on the plackard by the drivers seat to the 110 max on the tires will be fine - its just a matter of experimenting with the ride at different pressures. I do prefer the stiffer feel at 110 PSI so far to the softer feel at 90 PSI.

Maybe I will hear from someone with the same coach eventually & gain from their experience.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:22 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

It's important to know the actual, loaded weight of your motor home. Weighing four corners is best so that any big discrepencies side to side and front to rear can be revealed. If that is not feasible then weighing front, rear, and total at a truck scale can be useful as well. The manufacturer's web site can then be used to find the recommended pressure. My 22,000 lb coach had 90 psi front and 85 psi rear on the tag. This number is a factory best guess that can't take into account how a coach is actually loaded. After four corner weights were known I now have 80 psi all around. I do run 5 psi more in front for a little extra leeway. The coach rides much better at the reduced pressure.

Good luck,
Dave
Old 05-02-2013, 01:24 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I have the flexible stainless steel ones from each rear tire. They terminate near the center hub on brackets.. Some say they eventually will leak, but Mine were put on tight and have never leaked.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Mine came with the inter dual flex extention, only. I ordered Roadmaster extensions for the fronts, and the outer duals. Roadmasters are rigid and I have no problem with leakage. They are easy to fill as well.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deucenut View Post
I inflate my tires to what the decal inside the motorhome next to the drivers says to run: which is 105 front, 100 rear. I didn't even look at what the sidewall says since the tire is manufactured for many different types of vehicles.
That "decal" is only good if you have the exact same tires as the rig shipped with and then ONLY if you're loaded to the RV's GVWR on each tire, otherwise it's wrong.
Weigh the rig four "corners", use the weight/inflation charts for your exact tire. Take the highest weight on the axle and use that weight to find the minimum pressure you can run on all tires on that axle.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:55 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
That "decal" is only good if you have the exact same tires as the rig shipped with and then ONLY if you're loaded to the RV's GVWR on each tire, otherwise it's wrong.
Weigh the rig four "corners", use the weight/inflation charts for your exact tire. Take the highest weight on the axle and use that weight to find the minimum pressure you can run on all tires on that axle.
Interesting you should suggest that because when I checked the pressure, all the tires were 6 lbs below what I put in them. I just figured they all leaked down the same but maybe the previous owner set the pressure at that.
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote