Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2009, 08:39 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Tire Replacement

Have a 1999 Advenmturer 35C which we purchased new 7/99. I still have org tires on it. I have maintained my tires very well, I keep them clean, properly inflated, they are covered when not in use, and during winter storage are not in direct contact with the ground. I inspect them often and they seem to be in perfect condition, there are no visible signs of cracking or any defects at all. With all that said, I am still beginning to wonder if I should have them replaced simply because of their age, I am just having a hard time with trashing what seem to to perfectly good tires. Any and all comments welcome

2004 Adventurer 38G
J Stemler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

J

I was in the same position that you find yourself in. Ours was a 2001 Suncruiser with orig. tires, 34k miles, stored inside all it's life, no cracking, etc. I must admit I eliminated the decision as to tire replacement by trading just recently for a new MH but I just don't think I would have replaced them. I did advise that the tires were orig. when we traded and the dealer didn't have a problem with them as they looked new. Should they have been replaced a couple years ago? I'm sure some here will say yes but I'm just not so sure. I think I would have continued to ride on them until they showed signs of needing replacement.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:50 AM   #3
TW
Winnebago Camper

SAFETY rules first!!! After 5 years I change..... our SAFETY always comes first.
TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:22 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: Everyone has to decide what works for them. We have had a camper (one ton Dodge truck) or motorhome since 1970 and have only had one camper and two motorhomes. Back in the old days things were not replaced until they were obviously bad. It took about 15-16 years for the tires on the camper to need replacement. The interesting thing is that two went out within a hundred miles of each other.

We have about 45,000 miles on the current motorhome (a 2000 Itasca Suncruiser) and the tires are starting to show some wear but look ok. Being somewhat more cynical and a lot older now I will probably replace them at 10 years or so.

I wonder if anyone ever has RV tires regrooved? Probably not, but an interesting question.

Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:26 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I have to agree with TW. We just traded up to a 2002 Journey DL that had the original tires on it. On our trip home, we had a blowout that took out both right rear tires. You ever try to steer a 40' MH at 65 mph going sideways??? The MH was stored inside in Louisiana. The tires looked fine, but apparently old age had gotten to them. I had a real hard time getting rid of 4 tires that looked ok, but when I thought about my wife and kids always riding with me in the MH, the decision was easy. IMO, bite the bullet and change 'em. Others will tell you not to worry, but my family is more important to me than tires that look OK and a few dollars!!
Old 04-11-2009, 05:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

A '99 model purchased in July 1999 probably has 1998 tires on it. Eleven years is really pushing your luck, but that's your choice to make. I recently replaced 4 tires dated early 2002 ...seven years old (the other two were replaced at 5 yr when one developed a flaw). They are always covered when parked, never parked on concrete w/o a barrier, had apx 45k on them, and looked great both outside and inside, but seven years was enough for me.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:00 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

What brand of tire blew out?
John Trent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:22 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

John

I presume you are referring to the post by GA Cajun?? ...that's the only post I see in this thread that says anything about a tire blowing out. Note that post is 9 months old.... My guess is that a 2002 Journey probably had Michelin tires on from the factory ...but note too that they were 7 years old. Unless the coach was driven regularly, tires covered when parked, and proper pressures maintained for coach weight (several BIG if's) they likely were cracked and overdue for replacement.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:36 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I waited too long. We bought our Sightseer new in 2003. Have driven 33,000. I always inspect and maintain correct pressure on the Goodyears. Also park on concrete in the shade at home. Had a blowout on the inside right rear last fall approx 1 mile after exiting the Interstate. Sounded like a bomb! After having the tire changed,we took the RV to the Goodyear store for a replacement. The manager said there was no reason the tire should have blown. The next weekend we left for a game in North Carolina. Well the front left blew out going 65mph thru Charlotte on I-85! After that road service guy changed the tire I inquired where the nearest tire store was. As luck would have it a Goodyear truck tire store was off the next exit. I had all of the tires removed for inspection and told the manager I was prepared to buy 5 new tires instead of just 1. They said no need as the remaining tires were fine with no cracks . After returning to Atlanta I did have the other 4 new tires replaced and drive now with much better peace of mind.
HUGHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:19 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I have a '99 chieftain that had the old tires on them

They were good years..and looked great and the FORD dealership (about 2 months ago) said they looked good as well. I know better (I have had my bad luck of old tires looking good on cars and motorcycles) and would not chance it. Long story short...I brought it to goodyear truck shop were my friend works and said great tires for that year, but CHANGE THEM NOW..Well I did. I could not afford the newer Goodyears so I went with TOYO that had the 18ply steel casing commercial tires. THey are ok. A bit louder then I like but I can deal with it.
Dont chance it..Sure it could last a long time..(But an elphant in a ballet is quite a vision). Unfortunately Tires can go at anytime but why increase the chances.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:22 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

RE John Trent's posting, they were in fact Michelins, and they were the original set if tires. I can't speak to whether they were kept a proper pressures, etc. The MH was stored inside, so I UV rays should not have been a problem. If they're old, CHANGE THEM!!