Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-17-2011, 08:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Tire pressure question

i have 275 tires, 22.5 wheels on my itasca meridian. i would appreciate some input on tire pressure. the coach is normally loaded and i pull a jeep wrangler. the tires are new and the dealership put 110 lbs in each tire and i have left it there for now. some say run less air in front approx 10 lbs, some say run more air in front approx 10 lbs. it rides fine and i hope it is ok like it is, but i'm willing to do anything to make it a better situation.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:17 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

pawpawboyce,
If you call Michelin, they will tell you to first weight each corner of your RV, which is not so easy to do. I did this at a commercial grain elevator and found 500lb difference between my two front tires. Then, by using the maximum weight for front-singles and also the max weight for the rear-duals I was able to find the minimum tire pressure from the Michelin Tire Pressure tables. The tables actually provide the maximum weight for a given tire pressure. For my RV I was able to conclude that 90 psi all tires would meet the michelin tables. I actually used 92 psi to add margin. This pressure is substantially less than the 110 psi printed in my RV for that maximum GVW of 27,000 lbs (My weight was about 24,500 lbs). The ride at 92 psi is comfortable. At 110 psi, the ride is too hard.

hope this helps,

jim & debbie,04 Journey 34H
jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Here ya go. Just look up your tire type and how much load is on the axle.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:46 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

MY '05 Journey 36G full of fuel and water, empty holding tanks, and fully loaded and going on a trip - 85 lbs. in the fronts and 90 lbs. in the rears - by the Michelin chart. I still have some safety margin with these pressures. I weighed each corner at my local sand & gravel place.

I have driven my previous Journey (2000) at maximum pressure and it was almost undriveable and a rough ride to boot!

Tire pressure makes a big difference in ride and handling.

Ron
Old 05-17-2011, 10:27 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I can't believe that I am the ONLY person who uses the chalk line method to fine tune the tire pressure. I never see it posted by anyone else. Maybe I am OC about it? Joe

http://www.nitrogentiremachine.com/proper_tire_inflation.htm

http://www.automedia.com/Optimizing_Tire_Pressure/ccr20010801tp/1
Old 05-17-2011, 11:51 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

joe
I find your chalk method very interesting. I will have to buy some chalk and try it out. Thanks for the idea.

jim & debbie, 04 Journey 34H
jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:04 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Just go to http://www.rvsafety.com and click on the weight link on the left

Make an appointment and they come out to weigh your rig, each corner, price is reasonable and they have all the research already done when they arrive.

Good service.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:09 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

That is beautiful! Can't wait to try it!