Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2021, 06:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Tire Pressure Data Charts

I recently upgraded to a new Minnie for a Micro Minnie and went ahead and finally purchased a TPMS as I've had a couple blow outs on the previous rig. That said I'm trying to find the manufacturer's pressure charts to set the hi pressure alarm. The tires I have on the rig (came with it) are Castle Rock ST225/75R15. Any body have suggestions of a resource to find the pressure charts? Thanks.
Morf512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 07:03 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

The only ST tire that I know about (not an expert by any means) with published inflation tables is the Goodyear Endurance ST tire. When in doubt, the normal recommendation is to run ST tires at the max inflation pressure listed on the side of the tire. Hopefully somebody else knows if you can get load tables for yours.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:10 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtrack15 View Post
The only ST tire that I know about (not an expert by any means) with published inflation tables is the Goodyear Endurance ST tire. When in doubt, the normal recommendation is to run ST tires at the max inflation pressure listed on the side of the tire. Hopefully somebody else knows if you can get load tables for yours.
Everything I've read agrees with running at the max pressure on the sidewall. With a TT, ride quality isn't the issue it is with a MH. This, from Roger Marble, a Winnieowner (Tireman9) and retired tire engineer may help:

https://www.rvtiresafety.net/search/...re%20inflation
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 07:52 AM   #4
Site Team

Yes, run travel trailer tires at the max psi labeled on the side of the tire. Period.

As to a max setting for TPMS alarm try max pressure plus 15 psi. If that seems too high or too low based on towing fully loaded on a hot day you should be able to figure out what you need to have that setting set at.

When we had tire blowouts on our travel trailers years ago we learned (the hard way) to only use 10-ply Load Rated E tires and run them at 80psi (max posted psi).
Old 02-26-2021, 02:43 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

If you set the alarm at the max cold pressure, the alarm will go off soon after you get on the road, heating up your tires and increasing pressure. I've seen my truck's tires go more than 10 psi over max cold inflation towing in desert heat. I have never seen clear guidance of what is acceptable, but I think the assumption is that if you follow the cold inflation limits, you will be OK. 10 or 15 psi over max is probably a good point to start paying closer attention.

As for what pressure to run your tires, I agree with others that you should run at max labelled pressure, as ride comfort isn't an issue. I believe this recommendation is pretty much universal with ST tires. One exception would be if I were seeing tire wear issues related to over inflation (excessive wear at the center of the tread).

Tire Load and Pressure Index Tables give you weight capacity vs inflation pressure, but they won't help you set your TPMS alarms. Here is a chart for ST225/75R15. I'm no tire expert, and can't vouch for the accuracy of this site, but the numbers matched exactly with the manufacturer load pressure index chart for my truck tires.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:57 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

TST recommends setting the high tire pressure 20% higher then your set pressure, and to set the low tire pressure 10% lower then your set pressure.
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 02:32 AM   #7

Often it is needed to use the max given on sidewall of tire, but not always.
ST list of Goodyear and others give yust enaufh pressure to ride 65mph and no reserve to the load.
So its best , if you give here your GVWR , and GAWR's, and I wil calculate a highest pressure with no bumping. Best would be weighing per wheel , fully loaded as going on trip, but axleweights can do.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure