Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2012, 09:30 AM   #1

Tire Pressure/care

I need some information; On tires.. When weight differs; and we pump tires up a different Pressure The Footprint on the road changes; We all know that. Now lets take the rears, One side weights 22000 lbs the other weights 16000 lbs (no need to pick the weights, only senerio,) Now we pump the tires On one side to 110 lbs, the other to 90 lbs. they will NOT have the same . Diameter. Hense the cercumferance, in the lower pressure is shorter. And the tires will be turning at a faster RPM then the Higher pressure.. I personaly have runied the spider gears in a differantual by turning/Running different sizes; It seems the more Opionons I get the more confused I become.. How do you all feel ????.. Now to be Perfectly clear. Any figures that have come off a computer generated sheet ,have a place in my mind that I do not care to discuss.. I want actual Owner findings.. Not he said or the coach/.tire manufacture Said.printed.. They told me the XRV were/are good tires; We blew 2 of them less then 2 years old..Pumped to coach specs.. What is a man to do ????? They also say scrub the tires down to keep them clean.. That's good for the outside;; What about the Inside. That is where all the grime is...
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

the four rear tires MUST all be equal in tire presure
doit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
I need some information; On tires.. When weight differs; and we pump tires up a different Pressure The Footprint on the road changes; We all know that. Now lets take the rears, One side weights 22000 lbs the other weights 16000 lbs (no need to pick the weights, only senerio,) Now we pump the tires On one side to 110 lbs, the other to 90 lbs. they will NOT have the same . Diameter. Hense the cercumferance, in the lower pressure is shorter. And the tires will be turning at a faster RPM then the Higher pressure.. I personaly have runied the spider gears in a differantual by turning/Running different sizes; It seems the more Opionons I get the more confused I become.. How do you all feel ????.. Now to be Perfectly clear. Any figures that have come off a computer generated sheet ,have a place in my mind that I do not care to discuss.. I want actual Owner findings.. Not he said or the coach/.tire manufacture Said.printed.. They told me the XRV were/are good tires; We blew 2 of them less then 2 years old..Pumped to coach specs.. What is a man to do ????? They also say scrub the tires down to keep them clean.. That's good for the outside;; What about the Inside. That is where all the grime is...
If you have a 6000 pound difference in side to side weight your problem is weight balance and the answer not tire pressure. You need to find a way to get the weight balanced more evenly from side to side to less than a hundred pounds or so.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

You think he really means front to back ?

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by doit2010 View Post
All tires on the same axle must be inflated to the same pressure. That pressure should be based on the side that has the higher weight.

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
dlovitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by doit2010 View Post
or at least closer than a 20 pound difference.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:47 PM   #7

Quote:
I need some information; On tires..
It is obvious to me that you need some really good advice on proper weights, inflation and tire care.

First, go have your coach weighed and make sure you end up with corner weights and not full axle weights. You may have to run through the scale multiple times to finally end up with corner weights depending on the scale selected to use.

Next, fill in the appropriate area of the chart I have attached to determine the correct air pressure required for each axle, NOT EACH TIRE.

Read the brochure to completely understand the dynamics of proper tire inflation and safety. It will save your life.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV Tire Weigh Form.pdf (447.2 KB, 96 views)
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:39 AM   #8

As stated in OP. tire pressure Is only a point. 10lbs or 2000 lbs. For ???? lbs some say run a differen t pressure.. I say all tire pressure must be equal.
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:49 AM   #9

Quote:
As stated in OP. tire pressure Is only a point. 10lbs or 2000 lbs. For ???? lbs some say run a differen t pressure.. I say all tire pressure must be equal.
Last night I spent several hours reading about this subject here and on the Goodyear site and they say to weight front & back and 4 points. if unbalanced side to side, front to back, try to re-balance your load as close as possible and then re-weight. According to Goodyear this may not be possible on RV's based on construction therefore you should adjust the tire pressure, according to the chart, and inflate based on the highest weight point (tire) for the front and the back, i.e., if the left front is 100 lbs more then the right use the lefts weight to deternine the pressure for both. Same goes for the rear. They said NOT to use different pressures right to left.

I am headed for a CAT station in a few days to do my first weighting and tire pressure adjustment
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:57 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

By George, I think he's got it.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I need some information; On tires..

What is a man to do ????? They also say scrub the tires down to keep them clean.. That's good for the outside;; What about the Inside. That is where all the grime is...
Please do not "scrub" your tires. Don't do anything to your tires you would not do to the paint on your car or RV.

If you work through my blog you will find over 60 posts on tires and related topics.
Topics such as inflation, valves, covers, Nitrogen, tire markings, wheels, placard specs, elevation and temperature effects on pressure, potato salad, Chinese tires, tire failure analysis, blowouts, dry air, Temperature guns, DOT date code and incorrect tire failure reason.
I would like to think I cover most of the questions people have. My email is shown (under my picture) and I will answer specific questions.

My answers are company neutral but are based on facts, data and 40 years experience as a tire design and quality engineer.

Enjoy