Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2008, 04:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have a 07 Winnebago 35j. Their is a sticker by the drivers seat that states the air pressure is 95 psi for the front and 90 psi for the rear. I also noticed that the MAXIMUM air pressure is 95 psi. So the sticker states that you have to run the front tires at maximum pressure, is that correct?
steve R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 05:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I always run the air pressures at the manufactures recommended numbers for any vehicle I have. I have not had a problem yet.

Technically you should weigh each wheel separately to see if you are within specification.

Watch out - the forum weight police will get you.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 05:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

The sticker has the max pressures on it as a CYA for the mfg. If you don't know the weights of your rig, running the maximums is probably the safest bet, particularly if you are carrying a lot of "stuff". Ideally, you should have your rig weighed on all four corners or at least both axles, then run the tire pressures recommended for your specific weights by your tire mfg. You can get a tire pressure chart from your tire mfg.

If I ran my tires at the maximums, I would be considerable over-inflated for my weight ...actually, my tires are rated to carry more weight than my axles are!! Over-inflated tires can cause a rougher than necessary ride.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:27 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

My suggestion is to run the pressure at what is recommended by Winnebago. I tried using higher pressure and even went 10 lbs over the suggested amount. The results were not good on rough roads in New England and Cananda. Sometimes it would seem like the front end wanted to leave the unit. I dropped back to the recommended pressure and things really improved. I now use 90 lbs in front and 85 lbs in rear and on good roads, it rides much better. Good luck, Al
Al Spivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:16 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Steve ...

Each RV tire manufacturer has posted a table showing the proper inflation based on tire size, particular tire, and load on the tire ...

Michelin inflation table

Goodyear has published tables too ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:29 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Skigramp has the right approach - use the load factor chart to select the correct pressure.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:04 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

You have received some great tips. I would start with weighing the MH when fully loaded for a trip and than using the charts.

Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:07 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

i always run my tires at the max psi.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:38 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I have 07 Tour, FD40. I attended Freightliner Camp this past spring. They provided tire mfgrs pressure charts and advised that the pressure you run in your tires effects the ride, handling and longivity and warranty of the tire. Freightliner teaches to weight your coach and then find the corresponding recommended pressure for your specific tire and load then add 5 more lbs than recommended. The reason stated was that tire manufactures will not cover warranty on tires if under inflated. I followed their advised couldn't believe how much better my coach road and handled. I now run 96 lbs in front and back. Previously I ran what the dealer put in when I purchaced it, 106 lbs.
NCTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:24 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Proper alignment and proper inflation do wonders for handling and ride ...

Been there ... done that ....
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:03 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

We had our coach weighted years ago at a rally and barely made the first set of numbers at the Goodyear specs. We only run it with about 75 pounds. It seems low to me but the paperwork tells us it is right.

Adventurous is offline   Reply With Quote