Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2011, 02:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Tire inspection or sales opportunity?

So I take my rig to a reputable Michelin tire shop and ask to have my tires inspected. What do they inspect?
My tires were manufactured in 2005 so I’m in the 6th year. I have no sidewall cracking whatsoever and 32,000 miles on them.
I’m more than happily shell out the money for new rubber if they are unsafe based on age. And, I do not want to stretch their safe life one iota but, why would a place that sells tires tell me my Michelin XRV 235/80R 22.5 tires are good to go for another year? Doesn’t the tire shop have a conflict of interest? Does anyone know who would look at them that doesn’t have a conflict of interest?
Old 07-19-2011, 02:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

In Sept of last year I replaced my Michelin tires dated 4701 so they were about 9 years old and starting to show sidewall cracks.
Michelin states that tires should absolutely be replaced at 10 years old. They also say that tires showing cracks 1/32" deep are fine, at 2/32" they should be replaced. Before I replaced mine I took the rig to Les Schwab and had a "tire expert" look at them. He just circled the cracked areas and told me they were cracked!! DUHH. I wanted him to tell me they were safe or not, I knew where the cracks were and how deep they were. At on FMCA rally Michelin was giving out wallet size cards that showed safe and unsafe cracking. I haven't found them in years so I must have thrown them away. If I ever find them again I'll scan one in and post it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

If I remember right some one has already provided a link to show the Michelin tire crack chart. Just do a search on here and I'm sure it will come up. Prevailing wisdom on this site concerning age and when to change tires is 5 years 6 max.
Pat
Old 07-19-2011, 03:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
So I take my rig to a reputable Michelin tire shop and ask to have my tires inspected. What do they inspect?
My tires were manufactured in 2005 so I’m in the 6th year. I have no sidewall cracking whatsoever and 32,000 miles on them.
I’m more than happily shell out the money for new rubber if they are unsafe based on age. And, I do not want to stretch their safe life one iota but, why would a place that sells tires tell me my Michelin XRV 235/80R 22.5 tires are good to go for another year? Doesn’t the tire shop have a conflict of interest? Does anyone know who would look at them that doesn’t have a conflict of interest?
Well, yeah, DUH! I guy that doesn't sell tires. A lot of the decisions with respect to motor homes HAVE to be made by the owner, other people can't make the decision for you. Your post already indicates that you think they should be replaced, I guess you are just looking for confirmation, so "I think if I had tires that were 6 years old/32,000 miles and I ididn't want to stretch their safe life one iota, I would replace them, but what do I know" NO ONE will give you a guarantee that the tires will last "x" months or "miles", do what makes you comfortable and enjoy life.

stik
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
In Sept of last year I replaced my Michelin tires dated 4701 so they were about 9 years old and starting to show sidewall cracks.
Michelin states that tires should absolutely be replaced at 10 years old. They also say that tires showing cracks 1/32" deep are fine, at 2/32" they should be replaced. Before I replaced mine I took the rig to Les Schwab and had a "tire expert" look at them. He just circled the cracked areas and told me they were cracked!! DUHH. I wanted him to tell me they were safe or not, I knew where the cracks were and how deep they were. At on FMCA rally Michelin was giving out wallet size cards that showed safe and unsafe cracking. I haven't found them in years so I must have thrown them away. If I ever find them again I'll scan one in and post it.
Never, never had a Michlein last 10 years. They either have tread seperation or sidewall cracking before that.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Years ago I had a blowout with 19.5 tires on my 6 year old Holiday Rambler, besides limping into town with only one duel tire, being stranded for a day in Green River, and having some minor body damage, all was fine. Then on the way back from the trip I blew another tire outside of Las Vegas. Again a few hours lost, and some wires torn, and minor damage to the toad. Naturally the second blowout might have been a result of stress from the first, but it really does not matter. I purchased all new tires in Las Vegas, and since then I replace my tires every six years. I just replaced the 22.5's on the Adventure, DOT date just over 6 years, with only 30k wear. Seems like a waste, but it is just another form of insurance to me.
Happy Trails.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguyfromcalg View Post
Prevailing wisdom on this site concerning age and when to change tires is 5 years 6 max.
Pat
That's a good one!!

The tire manufacturers don't even say that. Michelin says to inspect starting at 5 years and if still good definitely change at 10 years.

I changed our Michelins (4701 date) in Sept 2010, but even then they were still OK. Also, the front tires had been operated over their weight limit for years with Michelins written OK, which is why I replaced them so soon. Yes, they put it in writing on their letterhead that the tires were safe to run at 120 psi even though the loading chart said they needed 125 psi. When I replaced them I did go up in size to cure the overloading problem after the front axle was also changed.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:07 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Two years ago, I was about to leave on a cross country trip from CA to FL. My XRV's were 7 years old and had 27,000 miles on them. I live in a dry climate, and have always kept them covered. I took the coach to my Michelin dealer who does a lot of motorhome work. He inspected my tires, noting date, tire condition, and no cracking. He told me to run them for another year. We rotated the fronts to the duals, and headed back east. No problems. I always have kept each corner 2 psi more than what the chart shows for my weights. Last year, I took it back to him, and he said run em for another year. This year I noticed very small cracks near the rim. Took it in, and was told; it's time. I replaced them with the same XRV's. He did show me the difference in the pigmentation of the rubber. You could tell the old tires were pretty much dried out. They were 9 years old.

Just keep in mind that new tires are not immune to failures even at correct loads and pressure.
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:41 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Last thursday on I64 between Williamsburg and Richmond, VA the driver of a Freightliner pulling an Alpha fiver was killed when his left front tire blew. Rig went across the interstate oncoming traffic and hit a tree. Driver was not wearing seat belt. Wife in passenger seat was injured and 3 children in rear seat also injured tho not seriously. Had just left Virginia Beach area and was headed home to PA. State Police did not give any other info other than left front tire blew causing loss of control. One can only speculate that the driver had checked tires/condition prior to starting out less than an hours time on the road or the reason he was unable to control the freightliner.
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:43 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Mr_D
I did not say that the tire manufactures recommend changing tires at 5 years.
I said that most contributors to tire threads had stated they change their tires at five years. Even if the tires look fine they still changed them for their own piece of mind.
I do see by your signature that you are a long time RVer and you probably have lots of experience with RV tires that may be beneficial to the OP.
Again take a moment to read another's persons post before you shoot them down.
Pat
Old 07-22-2011, 11:19 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

The OP ask if there was anyone who would give an opinion about the useful life of your tires who does not have a conflict of interest.

To me the only answer is someone who knows a lot about tires, is willing to remove and look inside as well as outside and has no interest in selling you tires---who meets that description?? Maybe a relative who has a tire business and lots of money.

Anyone who has a difinative answer---chime in. Of course, the OP is getting new tires so for all practical purposes the point is moot---but he ask and we answer.

Whoa nellie---let's all take a deep breath.

To Aguyfromcalg; what you actually said was " Prevailing wisdom on the site---etc;" and I think that gets some attention "Prevailing wisdom" is hard to quantify. I don't agree with it but I'm not taking exception either.

The only thing, IMHO, prevailing in tire discussions is that for every well thought out reasonable comment there is an equally well thought out comment that contradicts. There simply is no real resolution to this factor.

I just point out that when we get to discussing tires many tend to make absolute statements that are easily refuted by people who have just the opposite experience. Case in point; a quote that Michelins "either have tread seperation or sidewall cracking" before ten years. His personal experience is such but mine is not quite---so there is a difference but neither describes Michelins overall record of preformance----it is a description of what happend to "me" no more no less. Certainly tires of any brand that are older are more prone to failure---none are exempt from aging. How old is too old is more relative and comes into constant question and exercised opinions. Six years is probably a good time to begin to view your tires with some suspicion and watch them closely---but after that use your head and knowledge about what you personally know about your specific tires.

We get another comment about a blowout that unfortunately caused someone to loose his life but the person was not wearing a seatbelt. As sad as the loss is I really wonder if the blowout caused his death or his decision to not wear a seatbelt did? I just finished reading a periodical sent to me about tires by someone else on this site that claims that death from a blowout is actually a very small number (one is too many). Property damage caused by blowouts is on the other hand quite significant, Had this person had a seat belt on perhaps we would be recording the massive property damage and injuries instead of a death.

Suffice it to say that some people find that five years is their optimal time for changing tires--they have their reasons; well founded. Others are more apt to keep tabs on their tires and watch closely and stretch their personal usable life---some as much as ten years.

Blow outs happen to tires at any age but the older your tire the more apt it is to happen---so examine your tires and your personal risk assement and make the best choice you can. Safety should always trump cost.

I'm replacing my tires this year , Michelins, 1002 DOT date 42,000 miles. They have preformed flawlessly but are due and I know it. I also found the very first little smiley shaped crack on the passenger side outside dual where I scrubbed a curb, otherwise they look fine. It is time perhaps past time, and I do not need an expert to tell me I just know it.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote