Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-01-2014, 05:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Time to re-tire or not?

Hi all,
we Sold our twin diesel pusher 52' Yacht last April and bought a 2007 Winnebago adventurer 38t, 31k miles and decided we would try land yachting for the foreseeable future! An 80 mile round trip from Vancouver to Nanaimo was costing me upwards of $600.00 in diesel fuel. so don't complain about 7-9 mpg! $600 should now get me to Northern California and back! Anyways my question is about tires. They are original Michelin XRV 235x80x22.5 with at least 75% tread left and no visible signs of sidewall cracking or deterioration. I had been advised by PO. that tires should be replaced soon as they are 7 years old now! The coach has been in BC and the PNW all its life so I just wanted some opinions as to tire longevity here in southwest BC. I understand that full time Arizona and California sunshine can quickly disintegrate tires, but what do you people do up here? $600x6 tires is quite an investment, but I would however, like to be on the safe side!
Thoughts/ comments please
Milom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:18 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

:welcome:

Glad you're aboard. Congrats on the new to you land yacht. Here's a link to Michelin Tire video. Take a few minutes and watch it. I'd side in with the PO and replace in that 7 year range if it were my rig. JMHO Enjoy your adventures and be safe.

Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:23 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Welcome to the forum.

I have a 2007 40DP with original Michelins and I'm not traveling anywhere until I replace them. It's time, and the small amount of money you save by delaying it just isn't worth the risk considering the potential for a disaster. JMHO.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

We also live in the PNW (Vancouver, WA, the older Vancouver). I re-tired at 8+ years as the OEM Michelins were showing a few cracks on the sidewall. Can't complain though as the front tires were run under inflated for the rated capacity WITH Michelins "blessing". They even put it in writing that we could run the 275/70's at 120 psi but use the 125 psi rating. And yes, I still have the letter on their letterhead.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:26 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I would suggest to change them out. Especially since you don't know the full history of them first hand.

Many threads here regarding tire longevity.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:32 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

One other note: Others have said a discount on Michelins is available to FMCA (Family Motor Coach Assn) members. Not sure how much but you might want to check it out.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:34 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I too would change them out soon. If you want to replace with more Michelin's you may want to consider joining FMCA to get the Michelin tire discount. That saved me almost $200 per tire.

Check on it at FMCA is for motor coach and motorhome owners. Motorcoach articles, motor home blogs, motor coach advice and motorhome videos.

Forgot to mention, WELCOME
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:58 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I live just south of Seattle. Two years ago we traveled to Canada and spent nearly six weeks sightseeing. We arrived home and about 10 minutes after parking our motor home an inside rear dual tire blew. Our tires looked good , had lots of tread, and no sidewall cracking. Our tires were 7.5 years old. I was debating with myself if the seven year rule was firm or if I could get a few more years out of my tires. My tires gave me the answer. I now believe in the seven year rule. I’m glad my tire blew at home so I did not have a roadside emergency.

Another reason to join FMCA:
FMCA has decided to reinstate their Medical Assist as a part of their basic membership package. Medical Assist will become active October 1, 2014 for FMCA members in good standing. I joined FMCA for Medical Assist and I was disappointed when they decided to remove it from member benefits.

Safe travels.

JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:11 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowboat View Post
Another reason to join FMCA:
FMCA has decided to reinstate their Medical Assist as a part of their basic membership package. Medical Assist will become active October 1, 2014 for FMCA members in good standing. I joined FMCA for Medical Assist and I was disappointed when they decided to remove it from member benefits.

Safe travels.

JD
That was voted on and announced at the FMCA rally in Redmond last month and we're VERY glad to see it come back!! Wife has serious health problems and it just might come in handy some day if we ever get to travel that is!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:31 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the feedback, I guess I have my answer. I contacted Costco tire department and they will bring the tires in for me at $415.00 a piece but will not install 22.5" tires. So I will have to go to a commercial truck tire store for install.
Milom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:38 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Yes indeed replace them after 5 years. Here in Florida the attournies have a warehouse full of totalled vehicles with 5 years old tires that blew out or had tread separations on them and crashed.

Check out Attorney Newsome commenting even on those sitting new on the shelf for 5 years before being sold:
Tire shelf life blamed for number of central Florida crashes | www.wftv.com
Old 09-02-2014, 06:21 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

My local truck tire dealer got mine for $378, installed and balanced through FMCA. Date code was only 2 weeks old.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:48 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milom View Post
Thanks for all the feedback, I guess I have my answer. I contacted Costco tire department and they will bring the tires in for me at $415.00 a piece but will not install 22.5" tires. So I will have to go to a commercial truck tire store for install.
That is exactly what I did. I'm a happy camper.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:59 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

Simple, read article, and take a trip to Oregon.

http://www.wheelingit.us/2014/08/30/...-ii-new-tires/
cavedvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:08 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Michelin's website says their tires are good for 5 years; after that they must be de-mounted, inspected inside, and if no problems are found they are good for another year. This continues to year 10, when Michelin says they must be replaced.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:55 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Since you are replacing your tires purchase some dually valve stems while you are at it. They are solid metal valve stems long enough to reach from the inside dual to the outside dual making it easier to check/add air.

Dually valve kits for Motor-homes, Busses and 6-wheeled chassis

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:29 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Michelin's website says their tires are good for 5 years; after that they must be de-mounted, inspected inside, and if no problems are found they are good for another year. This continues to year 10, when Michelin says they must be replaced.
However they could also fail inspection at 5 years. Also the act of removing and remounting the tires could also lead to failures too. Then there is the cost of the inspections themselves which if you find a shop that does an honest job of it what is it going to cost to have a shop spend a hour inspecting each tire each year for 5 years from end of year 5 to end of year 9? Would that end up being $500 per tire for the 5 inspections or $3,000 for a set of 6 tires over the five years? It may be cheaper and safer to just replace the set after 5 years from the stamped date.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:19 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

I will not speculate as to if you need new tires but I will comment on your subject line.

One of my favorite puns.. Thanks for using it.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:52 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
However they could also fail inspection at 5 years. Also the act of removing and remounting the tires could also lead to failures too. Then there is the cost of the inspections themselves which if you find a shop that does an honest job of it what is it going to cost to have a shop spend a hour inspecting each tire each year for 5 years from end of year 5 to end of year 9? Would that end up being $500 per tire for the 5 inspections or $3,000 for a set of 6 tires over the five years? It may be cheaper and safer to just replace the set after 5 years from the stamped date.
I completely agree. I was only regurgitating what their website says. I worked at my Uncles filling station during high school, washing cars. changing tires, etc. All too often a bead was damaged by the machine de-mounting, repairing a flat, and re-mounting. A tire is almost welded to the rim after 5-6 years. Hunks of rubber stick to the rim after de-mounting.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:39 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Ray - Just stating the obvious conclusion that the Michelin ten year plan is generally not a economical or viable option. My wife was taken in by this until I asked her who she was gong take them to and pay every year from year 5 to year 9 to take all the tires off the rims, make the inspections, remount, balance and then put them back on.

Will the inspector really be standing behind the inspection afterwards or just be saying "SeeYa! Wouldn't want to BeYa!" as you drive out?

One time we let the tires on our rig slip by the 5 year mark here in the blowout capital of the USA and at roughly 5 years 4 months had the tread separate on a new looking properly inflated tire with plenty of tread on it. I had just made a comment that truckers appear to have a lot of blowouts on this section of smooth straight Florida highway when I heard the Sonic "BOOM!". I was fortunate that the damage stayed inside the wheel well and that it was the right rear dual so the tread did not hit a car or motorcycle when it came off. Heavy gauge steel parts were accordion pleated by the tread belt but they protected the propane tank and the belt did not come up through the floor like they are prone to on some other brands of coaches. People don't realize what can happen when a tire blows on a coach such as generators or propane tanks ripping off their mounts, steel belts cutting through the floor crippling or killing people, brake/fuel lines getting cut or at times total loss of control. When a Class A RV tire blows it packs much more destructive force compared to most passenger car or SUV tires.