Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2006, 05:47 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Good morning,
We the famous or not famous third or center brake light that has faded to pink on our 02 Journey. I was feeling good all these years that ours was one of the few that I noticed that was still red, I believe because the MH is kept in a garage when not being used. Anyway I looked at it the other day and it is faded like all the others. I read here or somewhere that Winni replaced some of these in the past but I would not expect them to help us with this one. Can I remove it, clean it and spray paint it with transparent red paint or the like to bring it back to life?
Thanks, Bob
rvrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 05:47 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Good morning,
We the famous or not famous third or center brake light that has faded to pink on our 02 Journey. I was feeling good all these years that ours was one of the few that I noticed that was still red, I believe because the MH is kept in a garage when not being used. Anyway I looked at it the other day and it is faded like all the others. I read here or somewhere that Winni replaced some of these in the past but I would not expect them to help us with this one. Can I remove it, clean it and spray paint it with transparent red paint or the like to bring it back to life?
Thanks, Bob
Old 05-12-2006, 06:01 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Bob: My light faded out in one year. The dealer was good enough to give me another which I have as a spare. Even new coaches have ones that are faded. I ask the same question as you. The clear UV protection process that prevents this fading, like all other brake lights, I was told is in the material before the mold/baking/curing steps. No after market clear coat would help to bring it back.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:24 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I replaced mine last year since it had water in it...got a new one from Winnebagoparts.com. However, even with the faded outer plastic cover, the LED's are still red and it still shows red when you apply the brake.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:27 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Have you stood behind the coach when someone presses the brake pedal? ...if so, does the third brake light glow white? ...or red? Our lens is faded, but the light glows red when activated. I haven't checked, but just presumed the LEDs/bulbs inside must be red. I attempted to remove the lens, but could not get it apart ... it appears to be molded onto the light fixture.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:54 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I did not know that it has red LEDs/bulbs I believed that when I stepped on the brake pedal the light would be pink like the lense color. I appreciate the info however I still think it looks cheesy for any vehicle to have the faded third light. I wonder how DOT would feel about this.
Thanks, Bob
Old 05-12-2006, 02:55 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Bob,

At least on mine the LED's were/are red. My cover had water intrusion and was faded so I was surprised when I had the wife step on the brake and it was clearly red. I also thought it looked cheesy so got the new light. If this one fades, I will replace with something better/different.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 04:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

smlranger,
If you replace yours with a different light assembly I would be very interested in what you use. I fail to see why I should have to spend money on the same light that will fade again. If I find something better that fits the opening, wiring load etc. I will post here
thanks, Bob