Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2014, 02:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

"Third" brake light

Has anybody removed the rear brake light strip from the rear cap their vehicle to work on it/replace it? The individual LEDs in mine take turns not working. I want to remove it to clean the contacts and possibly re-solder some of the joints; but, I don't want to break it in the process.
luckydog1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 02:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I removed mine to check the contacts and when I screwed the attachment screws in I cracked the plastic. Be careful not to over tighten and crack the plastic. I purchased a new one and installed with less torque.

Safe travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:00 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I replaced mine on my MH. I bought it on eTrailer.com. They have many sizes and shapes.
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:51 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

LED Thin Line Identification Light Bar MCL 78RB | eBay and this
Dyna Flash Strobe Controller Flasher Safety Module for LED Brake Stop Light 12V | eBay
My 3rd brake light was pink so I replaced it with this and installed the motorcycle flasher on it. And it gets the attention of people behind me. But its a cake walk to do this and I used the sealing tape around it non Harding type. Just make sure you get the polarity right.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

This is all good information; but, I was asking how to remove it without breaking it. Do you remove the trim ring to access some screws? That seems to be what was mentioned by RV735?

To Johndale: I have a flasher for motorcycles mounted in our CR-V that flashes the third brake light in it, so I know what you mean with the flasher module. Where did you find room to install that in the coach?

I do appreciate everyone taking the time to respond.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 10-18-2014, 07:06 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Most third brake lights run from the driver side brake light. You have a pusher so you should be able to see the wires above the engine. I put mine behind the third brake light. Had to open the hole up a little bit but no big deal and used rtv to seal it so water would not get behind it like it was doing. I read your post and if you can post a picture I might be able to help you.Mine was attached by 2 screws in plane sight.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Access from behind the light?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndale View Post
Most third brake lights run from the driver side brake light. You have a pusher so you should be able to see the wires above the engine. I put mine behind the third brake light. Had to open the hole up a little bit but no big deal and used rtv to seal it so water would not get behind it like it was doing. I read your post and if you can post a picture I might be able to help you.Mine was attached by 2 screws in plane sight.
If I understand you, you wired and mounted the flasher in behind the lamp? Our bed is directly above the engine, and there is an empty area behind the rear cap that extends from top to bottom, being open at the bottom. There isn't enough room there to squeeze in, though. Are there screws at the back of the fixture that need to come out to remove it?

Tom
Old 10-18-2014, 02:45 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV735 View Post
I removed mine to check the contacts and when I screwed the attachment screws in I cracked the plastic. Be careful not to over tighten and crack the plastic. I purchased a new one and installed with less torque.

Safe travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
Were the screws located behind the fixture, or did you access them by removing the trim around the light?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 10-18-2014, 03:33 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

The trim must come off. and 2 screws hold the light in on mine.The flasher you can mount any were to the third light.I took the head board off my rv when I redid the floors and found that wire behind it. But mine gets its signal from the driver side light. Post a pic. I have a 2003 sightseer V10 and yours a a little different then mine but that light shoul not be that hard to remove.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:12 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Hi Lucky, Welcome to the club.

Our 3rd brake light was simply held in with sheet metal type screws. You may be able to just remove & clean the wire joints and then carefully remount the original. They get really brittle from the sun. Ours turned a pale pink color and eventually broke.

We simply replaced it with the same one Johndale did from Ebay and I whittled an aluminum emblem to surround the lens and mounted it with stainless bolts & nylok nuts from the backside. The sheet metal above the radiator was removed to access the washers and nuts then reinstalled.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	76963   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	76964  

Mr Miyagi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags