Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2017, 04:03 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddb View Post
Put 8 new Toyo M154 tires on our rig last November replacing the 6 year 72K mile OEM Michelin. Very happy with the tires and the ride and less dollars out of pocket.

PS If you are in WA state, go down to a Les Schwab in Oregon and avoid sales tax!!!!!
I will pick on you Mr. Todd, but my comments are directed to others who have posted here also.

1) When you post, please mention what you are driving so we can understand your posts better.

2) When you changed tires from Michelin to Toyo, what size were the old Michelins and what is the size of the new Toyos. Include wheel size. (I know you didn't change wheels!)

3) Did you keep the same Load Range?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
If that is the XRV you are replacing on a 22.5 rim the RPM is 556 and duel spacing 10.3" (Tire Selector | Michelin RV Tires). The M154 is a 551RPM tire. The X is 9.2" wide and the M is 9.5" and weighs about 10# more. (https://www.toyotires.com/commercial/tire/pattern/m154-long-haul-regional-and-urban-all-position-tire). You should not have a problem.

Rick Y
Can't find the RPM you stated for the Toyo.

---------------------------

If my case I have Michelin XZA3s, 275/80R22.5, LRH. The coach has ZF IFS. Hub hole for front is 11 inches in diameter. I have been to tire dealers that cannot handle that large a hole. Gotta check that first when I call a dealer.

Thanks

2006 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 2004 Honda CR-V
NoMoreAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:15 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossparkcamp View Post
Rick,

What's your psi gain from cold to normal operating temp?
Let me start by saying something that may get a ruckus going here. I have the TST 507 pass through monitor system. I have not been pleased with this system. The screen is very hard to read and I have had several sensors fail by not being able to read the tire pressure with a gauge and not being able to charge the tire through the sensor. Also, the screws are hard to remove when changing the batteries and often the seal has failed and let water into the battery box.

With that off my chest, on my old Michelin's (275/80R22.5) I was seeing readings as high as 136psi, as I recall. On the new 295/75R22.5 Toyo's I frequently see around 119psi and not over 126psi in hot weather where the road temperature is excessive. The Michelin's were a 14 ply rating and the new tires are a 16ply rating.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:29 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreAZ View Post
I will pick on you Mr. Todd, but my comments are directed to others who have posted here also.

1) When you post, please mention what you are driving so we can understand your posts better.

2) When you changed tires from Michelin to Toyo, what size were the old Michelins and what is the size of the new Toyos. Include wheel size. (I know you didn't change wheels!)

Can't find the RPM you stated for the Toyo.

---------------------------

If my case I have Michelin XZA3s, 275/80R22.5, LRH. The coach has ZF IFS. Hub hole for front is 11 inches in diameter. I have been to tire dealers that cannot handle that large a hole. Gotta check that first when I call a dealer.

Thanks
No rim change. The 295/75R22.5 fits fine on this rim and the fender clearance is adequate as is the duel spacing between the tire set.

About the rpm, etc. Click on "Show full specifications" found next to the Sizes & Specifications header.

About showing what we are driving. For those who don't know how to do this, please go the the top of this page and look at the bottom of the "thread" window. The User CP is where you can create your signature. At a glance you can see from mine just what I have for equipment. What you post is up to you. From this it makes conversations easier to understand.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 02-18-2017, 11:27 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

We've got a 2003 Dutch Star 40' with IFS. Anyone have a suggestion on tire up sizing. Currently running 275/70.22.5 XZA2 Energy tires with Load range J. Front press 112, rear 95. Any real world advantage to up size? Will be going thru OR this year so trying to learn all I can.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 12:40 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

We've used Toyo's on all our vehicles as replacements for the tires they came with for over 30 years. We're in "Les Schwab Country" and have an excellent store in our town.

When we got our Georgetown MH at 8 years old, it was still on its OEM Goodyears. It only had 12,000 miles on it from new, but the tires were looking dodgy with sidewall problems. A new set of 6 Toyos (19.5") along with an alignment and new valve stems was about $2400 (about 8 years ago). The tires still looked new when we sold the rig after 4 years and 6000 more miles.

Toyos on the family barge (Kia Sedona) have over 60,000 miles on them and still have good tread. They're 7 years old, so I'll probably be replacing them in another 18 months or so.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:47 PM   #26
Winnebago Watcher

Our 10 year old Michelins had no sign of wear or sidewall cracking when we replaced them in January with same brand and size at a 24% discount; four grand CAD all in.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:51 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Harriet View Post
We've got a 2003 Dutch Star 40' with IFS. Anyone have a suggestion on tire up sizing. Currently running 275/70.22.5 XZA2 Energy tires with Load range J. Front press 112, rear 95. Any real world advantage to up size? Will be going thru OR this year so trying to learn all I can.
On our '02 DSDP I went to Michelin 305/70's but only because that gave me full load capacity of the 14,600# front axle Newmar had Spartan install. If you have steel wheels you will need to go to high strength wheels too as the OEM steel wheels are not rated for the weight/pressure. All you will gain is a dropping the tire pressure a little. I went from 125 with the 275/70's to 105 with the 305's. I really noticed very little difference in the ride.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:03 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
On our '02 DSDP I went to Michelin 305/70's but only because that gave me full load capacity of the 14,600# front axle Newmar had Spartan install. If you have steel wheels you will need to go to high strength wheels too as the OEM steel wheels are not rated for the weight/pressure. All you will gain is a dropping the tire pressure a little. I went from 125 with the 275/70's to 105 with the 305's. I really noticed very little difference in the ride.

Thanks Mr D. Guess is there's no real benefit I'll stay with the 275/70's I've got. My axle is only the 1200# one. Sure wish it had been upgraded!
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:47 AM   #29
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Some factors to consider are in a new tire are max psi, load range, diameter, overall width and rpm. Because rv tire sizes by Michelin are unique it is hard to find them in other brands. You may consider using one size on the front and another on the rear to meet these needs.

This is all I could find at Michelin that may be close to your tire. This is the Energy tire: Tire Selector | Michelin RV Tires

Compare this with the M154 Toyo sizes: https://www.toyotires.com/commercial...-position-tire. The 265/75R could work in the rear and the 295/75R 16ply could work in the front if the clearance is there. IFS is not an issue. If I recall correctly "steer tires" are not recommended on IFS. Please verify this.

I hope you are not more confused with all of this. It is a critical issue for RVers to understand. Car tire selecting is much more forgiving.

Looking forward to the rest of your story.

Rick Y
Old 02-19-2017, 04:01 PM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Point Taken

Quote:

Thanks
Point taken. Not everybody searches previous posts. Edited from a post last year under Class A Motorhomes, http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/tire...-318859-2.html one of the hundreds(?) about tires and the religious wars surrounding tire brands:

Michelin to Toyo .....OEM tires on our coach were 6 ½ years old with 72K miles and about 1/8 inch tread left. They were wearing evenly. Original plan was going to be replace them in our ex-home state of Oregon (at our ex-local Les Schwab) next spring to avoid paying sales tax in AZ. Looking at the tires closely, the fronts were developing a roughly 1” wide ring of micro-cracks all the way around the tire, about 1-2 inches from the rim. This band of cracks was very well developed on the fronts and starting on the rears and tag. Realizing that we had trips to N. Cal, Reno, and Vancouver BC planned before we get to Oregon next spring and looking at the tires, I decided to get new tires early. For the record, I run 110psi Front, 95psi Dual, 100psi tag.

OEM tires were Michelin XZA3 275/80 R22.5
I opted for Toyo M154 in 295/75 R22.5

The Toyos are a whole 0.3% larger in circumference, fit on the 8.25” rims and meet the requirements for minimum dual spacing. All the tires were Week 36 or 37 of 2016 manufacture so very fresh date stamps. Cost was $370.95 per tire. With mounting, balancing (balance beads), disposal fees, environmental taxes, FET taxes, AZ sales tax etc, total was $4008.72 out the door for 8 tires here in Lake Havasu, AZ.

Yep same load range. And what I'm driving is in my sig.

Cheers
toddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:14 AM   #31
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Point taken. Not everybody searches previous posts. Edited from a post last year under Class A Motorhomes, http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/tire...-318859-2.html one of the hundreds(?) about tires and the religious wars surrounding tire brands:

Michelin to Toyo .....OEM tires on our coach were 6 ½ years old with 72K miles and about 1/8 inch tread left. They were wearing evenly. Original plan was going to be replace them in our ex-home state of Oregon (at our ex-local Les Schwab) next spring to avoid paying sales tax in AZ. Looking at the tires closely, the fronts were developing a roughly 1” wide ring of micro-cracks all the way around the tire, about 1-2 inches from the rim. This band of cracks was very well developed on the fronts and starting on the rears and tag. Realizing that we had trips to N. Cal, Reno, and Vancouver BC planned before we get to Oregon next spring and looking at the tires, I decided to get new tires early. For the record, I run 110psi Front, 95psi Dual, 100psi tag.

OEM tires were Michelin XZA3 275/80 R22.5
I opted for Toyo M154 in 295/75 R22.5

The Toyos are a whole 0.3% larger in circumference, fit on the 8.25” rims and meet the requirements for minimum dual spacing. All the tires were Week 36 or 37 of 2016 manufacture so very fresh date stamps. Cost was $370.95 per tire. With mounting, balancing (balance beads), disposal fees, environmental taxes, FET taxes, AZ sales tax etc, total was $4008.72 out the door for 8 tires here in Lake Havasu, AZ.

Yep same load range. And what I'm driving is in my sig.

Cheers
Thanks Todd.

We have the same tires to start with, Michelin XZA3, 275/80R22.5 LRH. I think I will go with the Toyo M154 295/75R22.5 16 ply (LRH). I was concerned about the MDS (Minimum Dual Spacing) but you and others stated there is no problem.

I have 102K miles on the original Michelins. Normal steering wear on front. Rear duals show cupping on curbside outer tire, outer side and street side inner tire, inner side. I probably have a chassis tracking problem. If we parked for > 1 night the tires were/are covered. We full timed for 10 years, now a small amount of 'coach time' (more this year).

I am concerned about the balance beads, however. Michelin does not like bead bags, they told me so some years ago. So need to do more research.

When comparing other parameters between the Michelins and the Toyos, I note that the Max Load Single Tire for Michelin 275/80R22.5 is 7160 lbs; for Toyo 295/75R22.5 same figure is 6610 lbs, about 550 lbs. difference. In a dual configuration, Michelin = 6610, Toyo = 6005, about 605 lbs. Need to watch the loading.

The RPM I found for the Toyo M154 295/75R22.5 16 ply is 514.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:20 AM   #32
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Compare this with the M154 Toyo sizes: https://www.toyotires.com/commercial...-position-tire. The 265/75R could work in the rear and the 295/75R 16ply could work in the front if the clearance is there. IFS is not an issue. If I recall correctly "steer tires" are not recommended on IFS. Please verify this.
Rick Y
As I mentioned in post 21, I have IFS from ZF. My Michelins are steer tires, XZA3s. After 102K miles, the front tires are fine, except for normal wear from turning. FWIW. Never heard or read about 'no steer tires on IFS'.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:42 PM   #33
Winnebago Owner

I have aluminum 22.5 wheels on my Winnebago .
About balance beads . I have heard both good & bad . My personal experience was a one time use . On the front wheel of my Harley . The bike rode terable . I was told I used the correct amount ..I guess Ill never know as I took them out , quick !
I ask because I see no external weights on my new to me coach .
My question to all is . To ballance or not --- Beads or not , aka Dyna beads ?
Please tell me how you all roll .
Journey cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:56 PM   #34
Winnebago Camper

Toyo 295-75's, 22.5 rims. coach weighs 42k wet
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 05:02 AM   #35
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks Todd.

We have the same tires to start with, Michelin XZA3, 275/80R22.5 LRH. I think I will go with the Toyo M154 295/75R22.5 16 ply (LRH). I was concerned about the MDS (Minimum Dual Spacing) but you and others stated there is no problem.

I have 102K miles on the original Michelins. Normal steering wear on front. Rear duals show cupping on curbside outer tire, outer side and street side inner tire, inner side. I probably have a chassis tracking problem. If we parked for > 1 night the tires were/are covered. We full timed for 10 years, now a small amount of 'coach time' (more this year).

I am concerned about the balance beads, however. Michelin does not like bead bags, they told me so some years ago. So need to do more research.

When comparing other parameters between the Michelins and the Toyos, I note that the Max Load Single Tire for Michelin 275/80R22.5 is 7160 lbs; for Toyo 295/75R22.5 same figure is 6610 lbs, about 550 lbs. difference. In a dual configuration, Michelin = 6610, Toyo = 6005, about 605 lbs. Need to watch the loading.

The RPM I found for the Toyo M154 295/75R22.5 16 ply is 514.
I was not happy with the beads in my steer tires. You need special valve stems and if there is a problem with the tire the beads can cause repair difficulties as I understand it.

With the Toyo's I went this route: Centramatic Automatic On-board Tire and Wheel Balancers. I don't have the information handy as to whom I bough them from. It was a company in Florida. I put them on front and rear. I am very pleased with the results.

Rick Y
Old 02-22-2017, 04:47 PM   #36
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I was not happy with the beads in my steer tires. You need special valve stems and if there is a problem with the tire the beads can cause repair difficulties as I understand it.

With the Toyo's I went this route: Centramatic Automatic On-board Tire and Wheel Balancers. I don't have the information handy as to whom I bough them from. It was a company in Florida. I put them on front and rear. I am very pleased with the results.

Rick Y
Rick: What can I say, I have one data point, so far successful with beads: steer, drive, or tag, YMMV. I've have had no issues with balance beads in our new Toyos. Not aware of any particular or different valve stems either. No air leaks or other issues. There's no record of a change or cost on my invoice. Full disclosure, I also run Pressure Pro TPMS on my MH and dinghy.

NoMoreAZ: On the minimum dual spacing, I checked with the rim manufacturer (outer rim is aluminum, inner is steel) did the math myself to calculate offset, verified with manufacturer. No issues moving to the slightly wider 295/75 Toyos
toddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:53 PM   #37
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks Mr D. Guess is there's no real benefit I'll stay with the 275/70's I've got. My axle is only the 1200# one. Sure wish it had been upgraded!
The upgrade on the front axle was only done since ours was so heavy. We got the last '02 Spartan chassis made and Newmar put in, at our request, the storage bay freezer on a slide. Normally they left that are unused and the door was a fake on the 4090's.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:58 AM   #38
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

Rick Y
Thanks for that info. Looked at the manufacturer's YouTube video about the Centramatic Balancers. Assuming it is legit, it makes sense to balance in this manner.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:04 AM   #39
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
NoMoreAZ: On the minimum dual spacing, I checked with the rim manufacturer (outer rim is aluminum, inner is steel) did the math myself to calculate offset, verified with manufacturer. No issues moving to the slightly wider 295/75 Toyos
Thanks for helping with the research. Same config on rear drive axle, steel wheel inside, aluminum outside. Also learned proper definition of MDS. Did calcs, and as you determined, no problem installing the 295/75s in place of the 275/80s.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:15 AM   #40
Winnebago Owner

On our '03 Winne Adventurer, we went from Michelin to Toyos. We were running 19.5 inch tires. The ride was harder and there was a very noticeable smell issue. We didn't use the RV much the first couple years with the Toyo's but every time I'd pull into a park, I'd swear I had a black water issue. Even to the point that folks would mention it. Long story short, turned out to be the tires. After sitting a couple days, smell would go away until next drive. Over time, it did lessen.
747Driver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
switch