Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2020, 11:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Suspension Upgrades

2020 Sunstar 27P. Likes to wander across the lane and sways a lot. Installed an additional Roadmaster rear sway bar and a RSS steering stabilizer. Sway is much better but it still wanders. Thinking of adding a Davis Tru Trac.

Anybody run this combo? Thoughts on the Tru Trac with regards to the wandering.
NYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 03:14 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Sway is the result of too little support from the springs. Adding SumoSprings front and rear can help. As to the wandering aspect I would have the front wheel alignment checked as well as the front suspension components.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 04:15 PM   #3
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkman View Post
Sway is the result of too little support from the springs. Adding SumoSprings front and rear can help. As to the wandering aspect I would have the front wheel alignment checked as well as the front suspension components.
Sway? You sure about that?
Old 11-07-2020, 04:19 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

All I needed to do on my 27N was the Cheap Handling Fix, took an hour and didn't cost a dime. Reducing tire pressure to the recommended on the placard by the driver seat solved the wondering issue.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:33 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I did the following in stages with a few thousand miles between fixes.

1. Cheap handling fix front and rear with lengthened front links. Noticeable improvement but still not good.

2. Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer. Another noticeable incremental improvement, but could still feel the rear wagging.

3. Super Steer rear track bar. I'm calling it fixed. Drives and handles well, I'm very happy with the results of the three upgrades.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:04 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Before modifying the coach you really need to first load the coach as you intend to use it for camping and have it weighed then shift the load to balance things so that you do not have so much weight in the back that the front end is dis-proportionally light. Many peoples wandering problems are due to have too much weight in the back and not enough in the front making it so the front wheel are not making sufficient contact with the road to track straight so their coaches wander. After you get the weight balance correct you then need to inflate the tires per the tire manufacturers load table to match those weights with perhaps a slight buffer for a few additional items. Next step is to take the load balanced coach with the properly inflated tires to the alignment shop to get it aligned for the way you have the coach loaded for travel since the factory alignment is for delivering an empty coach and usually will not be very good once you load all your stuff and family/traveling companions along with their stuff in it.

If it still appears to wander then revisit whether you still have too much weight in the back and make those corrections before modifying the coach. Note that many times wandering though is not due to a defect in the coach but due to the drivers over reaction to the difference in what they feel now sitting almost 6 feet above the roadway instead of just the shorter distance typical in most automobiles. Some also wander because most coaches do not have rack and pinion steering but a steering box with a drag link such as on the F53. People who have issues with wandering on an F53 will often also have the same issues with most cars made prior to 1970.

Personally I've not needed to add any additional components or modify my 2001 Adventurer 35U on the F53 chassis to get it to handle correctly. Balancing the load, properly inflating the tires and having it aligned to match how I load it was all that was required. It handles much better than my 1969 Sedan DeVille Cadillac with or without the 1969 36 foot Prowler trailer being towed behind it.
Old 11-19-2020, 05:01 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Sway? You sure about that?

Did you have a point your were attempting to communicate or just bored?
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 06:59 PM   #8
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Did you have a point your were attempting to communicate or just bored?
Actually, I was being kind. I think you’re wrong.
Old 12-21-2020, 12:11 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2021 VISTA 29 V

What air pressure do you set 65* when tires are cold
PJTroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 12:12 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

oops I traded the View. need to update my signature. will do now
PJTroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 12:46 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Sway is the result of too little support from the springs. Adding SumoSprings front and rear can help.
Are you meaning body tilting when you say sway. Sumos do help with the body tilting due to the high center of gravity. But in my experience it's not that great.

Too little support from the springs is characterized by harsh transitions over bumps, pot holes and bridge expansion joints. And, for us, we think our Sumos have actually made the ride harsher. So much so we're considering removing our front Sumo Springs. There is too much "crashing" going on.

For better body control we added the Roadmaster rear roll bar which did help some.

We also threw away the still good Bilsteins (that was dumb) and replaced them with Koni FSD shocks. A small improvement but nothing major.
Old 12-22-2020, 07:08 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

29ve owner...I installed the Crossfire dual wheel equalizer system set at 82psi I dont believe it helps much but it sure convinced me how much tire pressures increase when on a road trip when they heat up.I suppose tire manufacturers take all this in when they suggest max cold t.p. The chf along with front and rear sway bars have made a big difference but you still have to remember its not your standard family auto...This is your home on wheels
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 12:11 PM   #13
Winnie Owner

firestone air bag for Vista 26P front axle

Anybody have experience mounting firestone air bags/helper springs on a vista 26P front axle? Which model firestone kit did you use?
Thanks,
jA
jarnarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 12:59 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarnarcos View Post
Anybody have experience mounting firestone air bags/helper springs on a vista 26P front axle? Which model firestone kit did you use?
Thanks,
jA
There is a big air bag discussion on irv2.com. Most are using Air Lift brand.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/opin...53-475426.html

Tags
suspension, upgrade