Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2019, 12:32 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, everyone for all your help!

I took the first step today by going to Les Schwab to have the front wheels balanced and the tire pressure checked.
Front wheels were quite out of balance (6oz one side and 4oz on the other)
Tires were at 110# rather than the 82 recommended, so I had them set to 82.

Going to pick the rig up in a couple of hours and will report back with the results!

Pat
PatL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 08:32 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

I regularly put my hand on all the tires after an hour of driving on different road conditions and temperature, to make sure they don't overheat.
That little procedure allowed me to gradually reduce the tire pressure down to 76psi with no incidence to the handling.
That is so far my cheapest improvement!

As far as getting used to your RV model (26HE) and eventually end up loving it... You will

By the way, I salute those long time contributors to the 26HE treads that I have enjoyed reading during those past 5 years of ownership

I will be in Southern California in March-April of next year: anyone else?
Old 10-26-2019, 12:33 PM   #23
Winnie-Wise

I live in Southern California. Remind me as your dates get closer and maybe we can meet up.
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 06:49 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi6998 View Post
I live in Southern California. Remind me as your dates get closer and maybe we can meet up.
I'll put that on my list, next to the Zoo and Legoland!
Old 10-27-2019, 03:13 PM   #25
Winnie-Wise

No Disneyland ???
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:53 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Disney who? Just joking!
Old 11-05-2019, 11:09 PM   #27
Let's kill some bugs!

When I got my 32YE Vista second hand it had 1700 miles on it. I drove it home 2600 miles and didn't like the handling or ride that much. At times I really had to focus on keeping in my lane, it would wander around so much.

The first thing I did was balance all of the tires and have it aligned, as the factory efforts at this are not precise, so I'm told (found that to be true). After looking up my tire recommendations, I'm running 85lbs cold, front and rear. My RV weight is 18,750 loaded with gas, water, food and me. Tire pressures rise to 95, sometimes 100lbs during hot days (I have a TPMS system) when I drive.

After much reading in this forum, and others, I decided to start my suspension mod endeavors with the Roadmaster heavy duty front sway bar, AND the Roadmaster 2nd sway bar for the rear. Although it cost close to $2K installed for both sway bars (Camping World), it was totally worth it. My RV is a different rig. I didn't expect it to help tracking, only the wallowing and leaning. However, this RV tracks as straight as an arrow now. Wind gusts hardly affect it anymore. Passing trucks with wind off the front of their rig doesn't even touch this RV at all. Trucks coming from the opposite direction on a 2 lane highway, no problem anymore. I'm really impressed how different it can handle curves now. It's just turns, it doesn't lean first then turn. This mod virtually eliminates the wallowing motion we all know about as you go down the highway.

My original plan was, if the sway bars didn't improve things enough I would install Sumos, or air bags. Then try better shocks. My opinion was Sumos, air bags, and better shock would make things stiffer, and I wanted to avoid that. I was also considering a steering stabilizer (the least interest).

The sway bars have ended my search for suspension improvements. This RV drives like a dream now, stock shocks, stock springs. It's an anti-rock-star now, Hah!
John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:03 AM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Locke View Post

After much reading in this forum, and others, I decided to start my suspension mod endeavors with the Roadmaster heavy duty front sway bar, AND the Roadmaster 2nd sway bar for the rear. Although it cost close to $2K installed for both sway bars (Camping World), it was totally worth it. My RV is a different rig. I didn't expect it to help tracking, only the wallowing and leaning. However, this RV tracks as straight as an arrow now. Wind gusts hardly affect it anymore. Passing trucks with wind off the front of their rig doesn't even touch this RV at all. Trucks coming from the opposite direction on a 2 lane highway, no problem anymore. I'm really impressed how different it can handle curves now. It's just turns, it doesn't lean first then turn. This mod virtually eliminates the wallowing motion we all know about as you go down the highway.

The sway bars have ended my search for suspension improvements. This RV drives like a dream now, stock shocks, stock springs. It's an anti-rock-star now, Hah!
Glad you got it fixed to your liking.

We have similar MH rolling on 19.5in wheels. But your frame is 4ft longer than a 26HE, making the wheelbase ratio better. It also has a better weight distribution. These two factors may help with comfort in general.

The 26HE is a very short MH and the bumpy ride needs more interventions to soften IMO
Old 11-12-2019, 10:12 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

How do you like the Sumitomo tires? Compared to previous brand? (I like the price of the Sumitomo tire)
ronmanfredi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 04:42 AM   #30
Winnebago Owner

The previous tires I had were the Good Year RV tires. They were fine but were aging out and one of the rear duallys went out of round or something so I changed them. I did a lot of research and listening to others' comments on tires. Goodyear and Michelin received a lot of negative reviews (rivering, etc.) so I looked at other brands. The shop that put them on recommended Hankook tires first but the size I needed was unavailable. It was on backorder due to a redesign. I couldn't go wrong with the Sumitomos for the price. They were about $1,000 cheaper for the six. I have no complaints about them and they don't seem to ride any different than the Goodyears. When I first put them on they seemed to be a softer ride but I think that was just due to them being new. I'd say they are about the same as the Goodyears.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:46 AM   #31
Winnebago Owner

I read a lot about tires too and am well aware of the reported problems with Michelin.
However, my Michelin should be as safe for me as any other make for the next 5 years. In the meantime, they offer a real smooth and rattle free ride compared to the hard & tough Goodyear.
They are by far my biggest improvement in regard to comfort.