Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2020, 02:09 PM   #1

Steering Control/Stabilizer + Rear Axle Trac Bar for Minnie Winnie 31k (2016)

Hello all! New to the forums and here is my first post: We picked up a 2016 Minnie Winnie 31k (2015 Ford E450 chassis with 39k miles) and are looking into the following:

- Safe-T-Plus Steering Stabilizer (or Roadmaster?) - We have done some light research on this and it seems like a great safety "enhancement"

- Rear axle trac Bar?

- Alignment once the above (or more) is done.

Did a 250 mile drive and it was mostly "white-knuckle" as far as keeping it in the lane, mostly due to winds and cars/trucks passing us.

I know that shocks and sway bars should be on the list but they are more expensive and I consider them to be "phase 2" items to be added later.

I came across this kit and am curious if anyone is familiar:
https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/Stag...Kit?filter=520

Again, all of these items were recommended by the mechanic that did the most recent work on the unit, but would love to hear your thoughts on how to best prioritize. We leave in 2 weeks on a 2400 mile, 8 day trip and want to have an enjoyable, safe time with our Minnie Winnie 31k

Lastly, if there is anything else you recommend please let us know! We are excited for our first RV trip and learning more!
jonsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:47 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have a 19 Minnie Winnie 31G that was bought new. After doing some research I had my unit alligned. Harvard explains why here

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/e350-e450-handling-and-caster-158832.html

Mine was +5 degrees from the factory so I left it be. I weighed my unit and it is close enough to max weight front and back to use Winnebago's recommendation on the door panel.

I was ok with how mine drove without pulling my Jeep. On the highway I would get blown around some but having drove box trucks it was to be expected. Pulling the Jeep was more interesting especially in the wind. I found myself constantly adjusting the steering. I tried keeping my speed under 65 and staying off the highway when possible.

I did put Hellwig swaybars front and back. It did help with rocking and some with the steering wander on the highway. I still keep it under 65 and avoid the highway when possible. I am not afraid of the highway I found it is more of an enjoyable experence on the two lanes.

I have thought about a steering stabilzer for safety and a trac bar for tail wander but at this point I am satisfied. With no wind I can drive with one hand on the wheel. When it is windy I am not sure if there is anything you can do to help.

There are a lot of post on this subject with some good information. Good luck and have fun on your trip.
Motts461 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering