Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2008, 09:01 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Just a short post to share an issue that I have been dealing with for the last couple of weeks.

In preparation for a 11,000 mile trip to Alaska followed by a cross Canada/USA I thought it would be wise to have a spare tire with me. My 35A 2007 Adventure did not come with a spare and I understand that is common practice in the industry. So I started the search for a tire only to find out that they are as rare as "Hens Teeth" and it is still back ordered after 2 weeks. In addition the steel rim is also on back oder with an estimated 2-4 week delivery.
I recently purchased a RV Tire Carrier from Wyoming which is now installed.

I post this for interest only in case others are considering "sparing up". Hope you don't have similiar issues.

Gary
Gary D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:01 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Just a short post to share an issue that I have been dealing with for the last couple of weeks.

In preparation for a 11,000 mile trip to Alaska followed by a cross Canada/USA I thought it would be wise to have a spare tire with me. My 35A 2007 Adventure did not come with a spare and I understand that is common practice in the industry. So I started the search for a tire only to find out that they are as rare as "Hens Teeth" and it is still back ordered after 2 weeks. In addition the steel rim is also on back oder with an estimated 2-4 week delivery.

I post this for interest only in case others are considering "sparing up". Hope you don't have similiar issues.

Gary
Old 05-26-2008, 09:18 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Hi Gary, good idea to take a spare to Alaska. We did the trip last year and also took a Spare. We got it from a local tire shop. They called around and found one which they ordered for us. We got it just in time.

Even though we didn't use it we felt prepared. If you're having problems finding one here in the lower 48 imagine in Alaska.

Have a great trip and just slow down. The roads especially in the Yukon are pretty rough. Watch out for the permafrost. They can be very rough on the rig and travelers.

Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 12:01 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

We carried a spare tire (just the tire and not the wheel) to Alaska and if we ever go back, I'll take my chances with no spare. Even in The Yukon, there are tire shops and garages every so often and 18 wheelers make the run up and down the highways - how often have you seen one on the side of the road with a flat? They have flats up there as well and need service.

In fact, I don't ever remember seeing an RV with tire trouble and we were up there for three months. I'm sure it happens, I just didn't see it.

If you have an oddball tire size, that might make you a good candidate to carry one if you don't want to hang around somewhere for 10-14 days waiting on a tire to be sent in.

Do yourself a huge favor and put transit shield (sticky plastic like they use on new cars) on your basement doors covering the entire length of the coach on both sides (and the front.) Do that to the front of your toad as well. You will run into lots of roads that are being chip-sealed and I guarantee you will run through it for miles at least once. Your basement doors will feel like sandpaper after being splattered with tar/oil.

While you are in BC, The Yukon, or Alaska, don't plan on running more than 250 miles a day. 250 miles in The Yukon can make for a long eight hour day.

Consider taking the ferry back from Haines to Prince Rupert - it is not nearly as expensive as going all the way to Seattle and you avoid many roads you already have experienced (besides, the ferry was fun!) We made reservations only six weeks in advance and had no problem getting the schedule we wanted.

Visit our Alaska picture gallery for places we were and ferry pictures.

You'll have a great time!

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:35 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks John.

We are really looking forward to the trip to Alaska. We plan on spending about 2 months in the north and hoping to see lots of interesting stuff.

Thanks for the travel advice. I am led to believe that there is a shortage of the Michelin 235/80/22.5 XRV tires as well as the 22.5x7.5 rims. That was my main reason for sparing up. Since it has been 3 weeks and still no spare it appears to be the case. We shall see.

I had a look at your Alaska photos - great shots.

Hope Michelin come through.

Gary
Old 05-27-2008, 06:49 AM   #6

Remember that that puppy is HEAVY, and will take away from your (already minimal) CCC. Also when carrying it on the back end of your motorhome, you will lighten up the front end almost double, which might cause handling problems. If you are using a hitch mount spare carrier, you might be going over the tongue weight rating of your hitch.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:49 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
Remember that that puppy is HEAVY, and will take away from your (already minimal) CCC. Also when carrying it on the back end of your motorhome, you will lighten up the front end almost double, which might cause handling problems. If you are using a hitch mount spare carrier, you might be going over the tongue weight rating of your hitch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That's a good point - the tire and wheel are probably about 200 pounds. I have no idea what his hitch tongue weight limit is - ours is 500 pounds as I recall. If Gary is towing four wheels down, then he will only have the weight of the spare to consider. Get your coach weighed after you mount the tire on the hitch and load it up.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Just a short update on "Spare Tire Dilemma". After waiting four weeks for a 235/80/22.5 XRV tire that was to be used as a spare I had to finally give up the wait since we plan on leaving for Alaska shortly. Still not here!!!

A couple of days ago I changed my order to a 235/80/22.5 XZE and it came today - no problem. I do not like the idea of mixing tires but liked even less the idea of having no spare. A rim is scheduled to arrive next Tuesday after a three week wait. Beeter than waiting on the side of the road.

I hope it never moves from the Tire Carrier.

Alaska here we come.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:15 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary D:
--snip-- Alaska here we come. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Gary - we were already in Alaska by now when we went! Get the bus moving!

Old 06-13-2008, 03:42 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

GREEEEAAAATTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!

My Last year's trip is still vivid in my mind. Alaska is truly the last frontier. There's one road, I can't remember the name right now, that I saw more wild animals up close and personal, literally blocking the road, than you see in a couple of day's in the zoo.

Just drive slow. When driving thru the Yukon be on the look out for little red flags on the side of the road. Red flags mean your coming up to some permafrost damage or just a "rough" section of the road. For them "Rough" means you better be buckled down if you're doing more than 15 mph.

I don't know if you like railroads or not but if you're going to Skagway try and get the book, "The White Pass-Gateway to the Klondike" by Roy Minter. It's the story of not just the railroad born out of the Klondike gold rush, but of the beginnings of most of the towns now established. Construction of this railroad is mind boggling even without taking into consideration the climate extremes the construction crew had to deal with.

The other book I enjoyed was the "Chilkoot Pass" by Archie Satterfield. This was the original foot path the majority of the miners took to reach the Klondike. The pictures alone are mind staggering and the story reads like right out of Hollywood. Over 100,000 people started out to join in the gold rush never stopping to think of what was in store for them. Only about 10,000 made it to the Klondike and only a hand full made it rich.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.
Tom
Old 06-14-2008, 04:26 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Joe-K solved the "where to put a spare" by designing and making a mounted-spare carrier brackets, which fits between the frame rails under the coach. I was one of the lucky ones who got one.

When I replaced all my tires with the larger size Goodyear G670's, I got a spare wheel from the Goodyear tire dealer, and used one of the Michelin 235 XRV's as a mounted-spare.

I still have 2 or those XRV's in the shed, and although they have plenty of tread left, they are past the age (2002) of replacement based on age.

That said, if anyone here wants one (or both) for an emergency spare, and you can pick up here in Delaware, you are welcome to it.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 07:22 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Thanks everyone for the comments and travel advice. Our late departure is not my making but lies totally on the "Better Half". In 8 days retirement is finally on for her and we can then travel with leisure. We will enjoy it.

Good travels to all and keep the foot light on the gas pedal.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:49 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

My spare is in my Towed. I HAVE had experience needing a tire while in a remote area. I won't travel without one. The delay & hassle can ruin a trip.

Extra weight about 165#. Not a good idea to carry items in your towed, but this has worked well for me with the last two RV's. we've had.
PC-Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:39 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

PC-Bum, that's funny, that's where I carried mine when I went to Alaska. It never was in the way and felt good to have a leash on a potential problem.

Tom
Old 06-20-2008, 06:22 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

My Adventurer came with a mounted spare on a factory provided under carriage carrier as standard equipment and after having a blowout I could not imagine traveling without one.

It was on a Sunday afternoon on a well traveled highway and it still took several hours to get back on the road. If I had not had the mounted spare I could have been tied up for a day or so especially if I was out where my tire size was not readily available.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:27 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Hey Gary, where are you?
Can you guess where this pic was taken?

Where in Alaska?

Hope you are having a great time.
Tom
Old 08-25-2008, 12:33 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Depending on how involved you want to get, how athletic and mechanically minded you are, and what kind of coach you have, there are a couple of options.

Here's the scenario, if:
1) You have a toad with sufficient carry space (ours is a pickup - so no problem);
2) You have a coach with a full air system - and a service coupler, and;
3) You have decent leveling jacks.

We made up an adapter to allow us to plug in a standard air chuck to the service coupler. Our MH came with an air hose (small) - but we bought a standard 50' commercial air hose, with fittings. It can be used to air up the tires or whatever. It will also drive a 3/4" air impact with no problem - as long as the engie is running and you don't overuse the air.

Get the correct 3/4" drive impact socket for your lug nuts. Carry some 2"X12" leveling blocks (which you probably already have).

If you have a flat:
Pull safely off the road, set your e-brake and flashers, and get the tire out of the toad. Put 2 of the boards under the jack closest to the flat. Run the jacks all the way up on that side (or end). Using the air impact, remove the wheel. Install new wheel, and reinstall nuts. Check air pressure and adjust as necessary. Let coach down, put stuff up, and go to a convenient tire store to have tire replaced, and spare put back (and get the new tire's wheel properly torqued).

If you're not comfortable doing it - don't. Good Sam road service will rescue you . . . eventually. If you think any of these suggestions is a bad idea - DON'T do it. And, yes, I'm aware of the caveats about working on a MH supported by the jacks - if it makes you feel better, take along a 10-ton jackstand and use it appropriately.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:39 PM   #18

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary D:

Gary </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've had five RV's over a 15 year or so span and have NEVER had a flat or blow-out... but I personally would never travel without at least a spare tire. Just the fact that you've had such difficulty getting a tire and wheel over a three week period is reason enough for me to always be prepared for that 'just in case'... I'll always carry a mounted tire and wheel and gladly leave a few 'something elses' at home to off-set the weight...
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:11 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

It's nice to know that our Horizon uses probably ˜the' most common truck tire size on the road (275/80R22.5). You can get a new Michelin in that size just about anywhere and if not, then at least a fairly decent used tire to get you home.

A used Goodyear, Michelin XZE, or other make in a 10R22.5 or an XZE or XZA3 275/80R22.5 should be good enough in a pinch. If it's a really good used tire that's the same as the ones on the coach, then why not just leave it on there?
Old 08-26-2008, 05:57 AM   #20
JC2
Winnie-Wise

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Richard 34A:
I've had five RV's over a 15 year or so span and have NEVER had a flat or blow-out... but I personally would never travel without at least a spare tire.

You do now realize that the flat tire gremlin heard you speak and is waiting to touch you ever so lightly.