Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-26-2008, 06:49 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Murphy's Law of Spare Parts: We learned many years ago in car racing . . . if you have a spare part, you will never need it. Whatever part you DON'T have is what will fail and sideline you!

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:46 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Hello Gary D,

My RV experience has been Murphy's Law and I have come to believe that Murphy in fact was an optimist. If you include an item on your "not to be forgotten list", you won't need it. Traveling from FL to WA and heading home, we have yet to use most of those items, thank goodness. I purchased a 07 Vista in NM and it included a spare tire. No flats (knock on wood)

However, having said that, listen to the brave RVers who have made the trek from here to Fairbanks, Juneau or Anchorage. What did they take? Just my luck, I would be one of the ones 600 miles from civilization and being sized up by a hungry grizzly.

Just my opinion - I could be wrong!
Old 08-26-2008, 02:58 PM   #23

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JC2:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Richard 34A:
I've had five RV's over a 15 year or so span and have NEVER had a flat or blow-out... but I personally would never travel without at least a spare tire.

You do now realize that the flat tire gremlin heard you speak and is waiting to touch you ever so lightly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I'm okay; I knocked on a bunch of fake wood after I wrote that! I admit, I've been really lucky and no doubt, my time is coming...
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:54 PM   #24
JC2
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard 34A:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JC2:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Richard 34A:
I've had five RV's over a 15 year or so span and have NEVER had a flat or blow-out... but I personally would never travel without at least a spare tire.

You do now realize that the flat tire gremlin heard you speak and is waiting to touch you ever so lightly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I'm okay; I knocked on a bunch of fake wood after I wrote that! I admit, I've been really lucky and no doubt, my time is coming... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 08-26-2008, 04:58 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

We took one with us back in 02 and never used it. I did loan it to a couple that we meet and needed one. Now days there are so many tire dealers you should not have a problem getting a new tire, just slow down and have fun, we did. Top of the world hwy was on of the bad roads.
Frank
05 journey
WIT 69947
Old 08-27-2008, 05:19 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

I have purchased a aluminium rim and tire weighing around 160 lbs for my 2008 Ellipse. There is lots of storage in the maxum chassis and I carry it in my slideout tray. A little piece of mind for $700.
Applejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:25 AM   #27
Winnie-Wise

For what it's worth. I traveled the "Alcan" as it was called back in 1964, and went through 5 tires!! Carried three spares with me and had to buy two more. The highway then was gravel, ranging size from small to boulder - extremely dusty and more than a little dangerous.

Had no flats on the gravel part (1500 miles) got them all on the paved highway in Alaska. Huge potholes.

I know it's much improved now so have a safe trip and enjoy the most beautiful scenery in the world.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:09 PM   #28
Winnie-Wise

We took the Alcan last year and had not one problem. The roads were generally in very good shape and unless you drive like an idiot *(and we saw a number of them) you will have no problems. Saw one IDIOT that complained he had his 5er rip the hitch out "AND I WAS ONLY DOING 70MPH" ...d'oh.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:08 PM   #29
Winnie-Wise

John,

We are going to go to Alaska in 2 years for our 50th Anniversary. Where do I get the sticky film for the compartment doors and the toad. I am towing a Honda Civic on a Roadmastyer Tow Dolly. I was thinking of making a shield out of PVC Pipe and attaching it to the Tow Dolly. The Pipe frame would be covered with some material thatwe had from an old pull down shade. Think it will work or should I just use the sticky plastic?
Thanks, Tom
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 03:18 AM   #30
Winnebago Master

There is a sticky plastic film available from body shop supply houses. They use it to protect cars that have windows knocked out etc. I tried it on my toad for protection against road debris and it worked great. It comes in various sized rolls. Does not hurt paint and comes off easily.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 03:56 PM   #31
Winnebago Owner

Just a short update on the "Spare Tire Delemma".

After travelling through northern British Columbia (Cassiar Highway), up into the Yukon and to the Artic Circle (Dempster Highway, across the Yukon River, Top of the World Highway, throughout Alaska,across Canada, into Vermont and now in South Dakota as we head home to BC after driving 12,000 miles. The good news is that the Spare Tire is still intact and happily tagging along.

Did lose a air heater core and a few other things went out of adjustment which we had corrected at the "Factory in Forest City". We did not carry a spare core!!!

I must say that it was comforting to have the spare tire and it feels even better that it has not been used.

The trip continues.
Gary D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:27 AM   #32
Winnebago Master

GARY D: WOW! One ambitious trip, kudos to you. Glad it went as well as it apparently did. Sure speaks volumes for Winnebago products.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote