Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2006, 07:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Joe-K, I can't seem to find the post where you gave instructions and dimensions for building an under carriage spare tire carrier for a DP. I did find your discussion with Capt Bill back in March and April 2004 but the dimensions weren't in those posts. I know I remember reading it but didn't take them down at that time. My old computer doesn't seem to show pictures (and I haven't been able to find out why) so I can't see what you built for Capt Bill. Would appreciate very much if you could repeat them. Thank you for your time in responding to this. And in the meantime I'll try to find someone with a computer that shows pictures.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 07:26 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Joe-K, I can't seem to find the post where you gave instructions and dimensions for building an under carriage spare tire carrier for a DP. I did find your discussion with Capt Bill back in March and April 2004 but the dimensions weren't in those posts. I know I remember reading it but didn't take them down at that time. My old computer doesn't seem to show pictures (and I haven't been able to find out why) so I can't see what you built for Capt Bill. Would appreciate very much if you could repeat them. Thank you for your time in responding to this. And in the meantime I'll try to find someone with a computer that shows pictures.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:02 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

WagonMaster,

With the crash of the hard drive, the photo's I had posted in a couple earlier threads about the tire carrier are not available.

If you want to see the photo's of the tire carrier I had made, you can view an old Ebay auction where I had sold one. The auction is over, I'm only posting the link so you can see the pictures since they're not availble on here right now.

Tire carrier pictures
Old 01-16-2006, 06:51 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Thanks Joe-K, Do you still have the dimensions for all the pieces available? I thought they were on a previous posting but have been unable to find it.
Wagonmaster2
Old 01-16-2006, 07:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Tried the old eBay auction site but still unable to see pictures on this old Windows 95 computer. Have tried several suggestions to correct this problem but nothing works.
Wagonmaster2
Old 01-17-2006, 04:07 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Wagonmaster2:

I've downloaded the pix from Joe's Ebay site and attached them to an email and sent them to you. It's a nice system and has got me thinking. When I warms up I'm going to get my tape measure out and see if there's room on mine.

"You've got mail"
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 06:38 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Thanks Cruzer
Wagonmaster2
Old 01-17-2006, 07:55 PM   #8
MrG
Winnebago Camper

Location: at exit 308 on I-65 between Huntsville and Birmingham
Your original post was 7/17/03. You responded to my post 11/20/05. Search "MrG" and find your link. I can't seem to send it to you. John
Old 01-17-2006, 08:14 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

To Cruzer & Joe-K - Found more of the description back in July 2003, which really helps, but am still trying to find a computer that shows pictures. Went to my E-Mail message by Cruzer, found where the pictures are supposed to be but my computer doesn't show anything (old Windows 95). I have received several suggestions from friends, which I have tried but nothing changes. When I get more dimensions I'm going to a local welder and see if he can build it. If so then I guess next step is to start looking for a spare. I'll need the carrier just to get the spare home. Thanks again for all your time and effort. Sure glad we have this forum.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
Old 01-18-2006, 04:05 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Wagonmaster2,

My 2004 36G has a harness running along the left frame rail that crosses from the outside of the rail to the inside of the rail right where the spare tire sits. The harness has wires, hydraulic lines and air lines in it, and didn't have enough slack in it to reposition it out of the way. Joe-K's mount uses the bottom lip of the frame to lock the tire to the mount to prevent any movement, this is the best way to do it. The mount I had to build keeps the tire about an inch lower than the frame rail, with the mount secured by a bracket to the forward crossmember.

Paul
ppeter313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:11 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Wagonmaster2 - if your friends have email why don't you forward the pics to them and let them print them?

Worst case scenarion, let me know. I'll print them and snail mail them to you. As long as your mailman doesn't have a Windows95 mail truck you should be fine.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:21 AM   #12
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cruzer:
Wagonmaster2 - if your friends have email why don't you forward the pics to them and let them print them?

Worst case scenarion, let me know. I'll print them and snail mail them to you. As long as your mailman doesn't have a Windows95 mail truck you should be fine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I sort of wondered that too....why not just open the mail on another computer...

Good job Cruzer,that's why you get hte big bucks!!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:15 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the offer Cruzer. I'll try to open the mail on another computer. As far as E-mailing the pics to someone else, you are talking to a person who knows about as much about computers as launching a rocket.I can access the internet, reach the forum, and read my own e-mail, and that's about it. Have been trying for over a week to just install a printer and still can't get it to work. Thanks again for the offer, patience, and information.
Wagonmaster2
Old 01-18-2006, 04:59 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

PPeter313- Well, you certainly handed me a wakeup call. As many times that I've been under the back of my coach in the last 2 years both for maintenance and looking at the space for a spare tire I guess I never even noticed all the wires, hoses, and cables that run thru the C-channel frame. I very crawled under there this afternoon and it looks like I have the same situation you do. How to move the lines and can the mounting be set on the frame. I didn't have time to really try moving anything but it all looked pretty stationary. Always a new problem. Glad you mentioned this.
Wagonmaster2
Old 01-19-2006, 03:20 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Our rig had the wiring and hoses also running through the C-channel frame however, I was able to lift them off the bottom flange of the frame high enough to insert the carrier. If I recall correctly, the bundle of wires is probably 2 inches or so in diameter and is inside the frame rail which is probably 6-7 inches tall. The tire portion of the tire carrier is 3 inches tall that sits in the frame so there was plenty of room to lift the bundle, insert the carrier and allow the bundle to rest on the carrier. I wouldn't be too concerned if you have wiring and hoses inside the frame rail as you should be able to lift them.

Pauls issue of having wiring cross under the frame rail in the area where he wanted to mount a tire would be a problem. Since I have our tire pulled up against the bottom frame rail, the wiring under the frame rail would interfere. In that situation, the tire would have to be dropped and mounted against the wheel flange and allow the tire to hang beneath the frame rails to clear the wiring.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:35 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Joe-K - Hate to keep pestering you, and you just keep coming up with great suggestions. Finally got to the library and got pictures. I thought from the early verbal description that the cross bars were 2" stock with a short piece of 2" welded to each end which I thought would be 4" lift inside the C-channel. But after you stated only 3" was needed and I looked closer at the picture, Are the cross bars actually 2"X1" , thus making the 3" lift? To make the "H" how is the little short piece connected to the two long pieces? It doesn't look like there is a hole thru the long pieces.
Wagonmaster2 (The Pest)
Old 01-21-2006, 04:19 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

The cross bars are 2x1 inch stock which gives 3" total height. I didn't have any problem lifting the wiring harnesses over the 3" stacked height inside the frame. The offset to the mounting edge of the long support bars is still 2" though. Since the tire mounts under the bars it doesn't matter if the cross bars are 2x1 or 2x2, the bottom edge is still 2" above the frame flange. The short cross bar is bolted to the long bars.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:08 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Thanks again Joe-K. Wasn't that a stupid question? After reading your response I realized that. You can tell I was an accountant and no mechanic or engineer. It wouldn't matter if the cross bars were even 6x6's, they will still only be 2" above the bottom of the C-Channel, very clear now. "I see" said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw and went about his business. Only other question I might have, do you remember what length the 4 stainless bolts have to be? When I was at the hardware store yesterday I looked at their bolt supply and it was fairly limited for the length of stainless. Went clear up to 6" for regular Grade 5 or 8 bolts, but nothing near that for stainless. Have a great week-end.
Wagonmaster2