Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2018, 03:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Spare tire

My husband and I are concerned about driving our newly purchased Winnebago View without a spare tire. We always managed to get one in even if it was not included in the deal. Our old Thor Vegas had room for a spare in the understorage. The View does not.
Has anyone tried getting a spare and where/ how did you mount it?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Darlene
Catskillgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:40 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

No spare here. I couldn't torque the nuts to 450 ft/lbs of torque anyway, let alone break them loose. Road service for me.
Meridian42e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

We don't carry a spare, either. I know some people carry an unmounted tire as a spare to save on weight, mostly in case a replacement tire isn't readily available from roadside assistance. I suppose if we ever carried one we'd just put it in the back of our Jeep toad. Those things are heavy.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:04 PM   #4

“Carrying” a spare tire doesn’t necessarily mean you...as in the RVer...need to change it. But it does mean a pro can....cuzz you have a spare and he/she pro just sold the last one in his/her shop.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:54 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catskillgal View Post
My husband and I are concerned about driving our newly purchased Winnebago View without a spare tire. We always managed to get one in even if it was not included in the deal. Our old Thor Vegas had room for a spare in the understorage. The View does not.
Darlene
Darlene--are you sure your new View doesn't have a spare? I was thinking that they do; mounted under the rear of the coach. (On the 3500 chassis it is mounted behind the differential, at least in recent models.)
Old 07-02-2018, 06:46 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Wow! Just looked. You just saved us a heap of money...and work. There is indeed a spare under our View that nobody told us about. Thank you so much.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
check here https://www.google.com/search?source...are+tire+mount but watch the added weight on your chassis.

we haven't carried a spare since 2000 and instead rely on a cell phone and roadside assistance membership.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:53 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Exactly. Being stuck on the side of the road waiting for assistance to find you a tire can't be good.
Just found out we did have a spare under the unit. No one at the dealership knew.

What a sweet surprise.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:36 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Wow! Just looked. You just saved us a heap of money...and work. There is indeed a spare under our View that nobody told us about. Thank you so much.
Yay! (I don't know why that didn't click with me when I first responded to this thread. I just skimmed over that you have a View. )
Old 07-02-2018, 07:56 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Yes, We do have a spare tucked away under there. I would never want to be the one to have to get it out. I have been making drawing on how to build a mount using the rear receiver. Glad they are small 16" wheels and not 22.5's like my last one. Manageable in an emergency.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:09 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Traveling Spareless.

Quote:
Darlene
We just completed a 4.5 month tour of the National Parks. We left 3/19 and came home 7/1 without a spare and no tire issues. A Devil 's Advocate would ask why? Do you carry a spare air conditioner or refrigerator or engine for "just in case"? Spare tires hang around, don't often get used and will have to be replaced over time due to tire rot and being out of date. I purchased FMCA's membership for the Tire Discount and Towing Services.
DGundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:43 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Carrying a spare tire and wheel is probably a similar argument as to drive with propane refer on or off. There are two valid answers to each question. Regarding the spare, weight and storage are huge issues. Everyone has their own limits as to how much inconvenience they want to endure should a replacement be needed.

We have full-timed for 8 years without a spare. Travelled all over the country. I watch the pressure and inspect the tires nearly every day we travel, ok, I'm human, some days I inspect pressure with a fist bump. But things do happen, so I have roadside assistance to repair if necessary, plus an optional tire replacement coverage on my insurance. At the tire's eight year age point I replaced those 6 big tires (and balanced every one, great improvement to the ride). I still know things can and do happen, but for us, we will continue with our spare-less travels.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:43 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Good thing you found you had one, but for others who don't I'll pass off some advice we've gotten from Coach Net.

We carry an unmounted spare, never used to but at the urging of our roadside assistance rep.. Her advice was proven credible by one of our Rving friends.

1. Roadside assistance or who they send may not have your tire or tire size.
2. It can be time consuming to find your exact tire, if at all in the area you are in or on a sunday.
3. If they have to mount a similar tire, which means close to your tire dimensions to get you down the road. Then you must buy the tire a second time to replace the tire put on by road side.
4. Waiting a hours in the middle of texas in 100+ degree heat until someone locates a tire for you can be a real hardship. Anyone remember the Michelin nationwide RV tire back order?
5. Roadside always charges a lot more for tires then you'll pay over the counter.

I advised a friend to carry a spare. He said, " I have roadside, no need to". Well he got a flat just outside Savannah, Ga on Rt. 95. He paid $1000 for a tire of a similar dimension as no one local had his tire in stock, but they could get it in a couple of days. When he got back to Florida, he paid the over the counter price of $600 for the right tire to replace the "similar dimension" tire. SO, with roadside assistance, he paid $1600, plus mounting to get the right tire on his RV. He now carries a spare tire.

Just because I never got a flat is no reason to not carry a spare, I've passed many Rvers with flats on the side of the road. So, it does happen and happens often.

I have our spare 22.5 inch tire, plus our tow dolly spare in the trunk of our toad. Piece of mind and insurance, just like I have insurance on the RV. I hope I never have to use it, but if I do it's there.
Walt523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:40 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

We carry the rim only. On our coach there is no way we could remove a bad tire and properly torque on a spare. Road service is instructed to bring a tire with them and we let them do the work that truck service people do. Anything other than that is dangerous a I do not have the tools to do the job properly.
michealwhela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:49 PM   #15
Itasca Sunstar Owner

We are in Canada and are heading out west and bought a spare unmounted tire for the trip. Reason being we have 22.5 inch tires and they are hard to get on short notice. Went to 3 tire places where I live and they were all on back order for at least 2-3 months. I was lucky to find a place but it took 2 days for them to get it in from there warehouse. If I am on the road I do not want to wait 2 days to get a tire.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:11 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

I agree with having a tire un-mounted. The service trucks that come out have the big bars to change a tire manually. 22.5 are easier than 16's for them. This way you can carry the right size and not pay a fortune for something close.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:17 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Rv spare

Three years ago, we were in the North part of Grand Canyon to photograph condors, and were way back on a gravel road. We stopped at a viewing area , & had lunch while there. When we started to leave, we had a tire alarm go off, low tire pressure. To cut to the chase, we tried to call for road service, but no signal. We knew there were no houses we’d passed, & there was no traffic on this road. Three hours later, I’d managed to get the inside dual changed, & we were able to get into Utah to a campground just after dark, and a snowy mountain road. I was 72 at the time, & my wife was a great help. There was not a solid enough surface for the jack to hold up the rv, so we took a couple of large books & put under the jack to stabilize it. The nice part is, we weren’t stuck out in the middle of nowhere on a cold night. I’m sure someone would’ve come along eventually, but you need to be prepared if you’re going to venture off the beaten path very much. I consider a spare on a class b essential. On some past class a’s I’ve had, we had no spare, but we didn’t venture off pavement either.
Always keep some water & food, plenty fuel & propane, as well as a cutting board or something to keep the jack from sinking in the ground, just in case your phone doesn’t have reception.
I was rv-ing way before cell phones & road service, & it’s great where available, but don’t stake your life on it.
mike in tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:19 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

22.5" tire issues

Glad the original poster has the spare they wanted.

I have some info for the other readers that have 22.5" tires.

We have a 35' Adventurer and had a Michelin inside rear explode on I-95. Lucky to be near an RV dealer. Got a new one from the road service of a truck tire dealer.
The Michelin tire had a "Zipper" tear, like an explosion. Analyzing, I saw that the cause was rusting of the steel belts. The rust made the steel fibers thinner and weaker. They were about 6 years old. No damage, because it was the inside rear. Got 6 new ones later.

These are 22.5" tires and quite heavy. They are not too hard to change, IF you are fairly strong and handy with mechanical things. Also you would definitely need the "torque multiplier" from eBay. The one that multiplies with 1:58 ratio and includes 4 sockets (in a blue case). Must have the 4 socket set, because that set includes the size for the fake hubcap nuts that are often very tight. Makes the 450 ft-lbs very easy. Changed my brake pads that way.
For changing a tire, you also need a compressor, good for 80-90 psi. A 110 ac volt one for that kind of pressure.
This got too long (as usual), but wanted to pass on my experiences.
May your happy travels have no hills or wind.
Old 07-08-2018, 01:41 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Darlene
It is possible to go many years and miles without a tire failure but most long time RVers say that, if you haven't had a tire problem on the road, you just haven't done it log enough.
You will most likely not change a tire on the side of the road but a roadside service can do that for you IF you have the tire. They won't have one and a small town won't either. To get one may take days and the one they do get may not be the same brand or quality you will want. You may end up with a $750 spare.

If the tire that fails is one of the front tires, you will likely destroy the rim just getting over to a safe place on the side of the road. You probably have three rims -- Front, Inside Dually and Outside Duallly. If a dually tire fails, it will most likely not destroy the rim and a roadside service can just change the tire off the rim it's on IF you have the tire. They won't have a front rim and getting one will take many days.
Adding a spare cost us $1100 and that was with me making a few changes under our rig, fabricating a carrier with hoist, buying a matching front rim and tire ... it's a pretty big/expensive project especially if you can't do it yourself. There are hitch mounted systems but underneath is best if you have room - less exposure to sun and thieves. (22.5" tire is 38"x10" and 150 lbs for aluminum rim + tire).

But ... if we have a tire failure, all we will hopefully need is roadside service.The peace of mind was worth it. If you can, add a spare -- but also invest in a tire monitoring system and never move an inch until you know your pressures.
A long time ago, an old motorcycle rider told me - "Their ain't no way to gracefully get off a bike going 55 miles per hour". The same can be said for a RV having a tire failure on a freeway.
Bh2oman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:22 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

I carry a spare, unmounted tire. As noted by others, it’s possible that a tire in your size may not be available. But, many road service folks have the equipment dismount and remount your tire onto your rim. As with anything in life, your experience may vary from others. Make yourself comfortable with your decision.

"To travel is to live"
travelboy is offline   Reply With Quote