Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2018, 05:27 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Been reading this post with great interest. We just bought a 2018 Class C Minnie Winnie 26A, and it does NOT have a spare tire. I was pretty concerned about that. I'm new to Motor Homes, but been pulling trailers of all sizes for about 45 yrs, and I have always had a spare. Of course we do have roadside assistance, and I don't plan to venture off the road too far in this rig. My wife tells me to forget about a spare tire, just call for assistance... after reading all of this, I guess that she is right. My tire size is very common, LT225 75 16. I think that they stock them at most 7-11's.
Snakebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:52 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

But not common on most road side service trucks. Which means they will have to find you a tire, up charge you for that tire and charge you for picking it up. Still get a flat on a sunday and you may be waiting until Monday to get you a tire or paying hourly rates for them to drive great distances to get you that tire.

Ideally, you have roadside and come and put your spare on. On your size there is no reason not to have a mounted spare and carry that.
Walt523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:17 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

With all this chatter about a spare tire, please be sure to check the tire pressure at the beginning of the season and mid-season as well. Surprises are only good for Birthday's and Anniversaries, to find out the pressure is too low.
Big Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:34 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meridian42e View Post
No spare here. I couldn't torque the nuts to 450 ft/lbs of torque anyway, let alone break them loose. Road service for me.

Same for me -road service. I had a spare and tools to change when I had a TT but that was much more simple than the MH will be. So Road Service
Old 09-06-2018, 10:23 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

It's not about changing the tire, it's about having a tire for road service to put on.

If Road service doesn't have your tire or can't get it, then what do you do? Michelin at one point had a nation wide back order on RV tires, you couldn't find one if you wanted to. Then what?
Walt523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 11:37 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Spare tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt523 View Post
It's not about changing the tire, it's about having a tire for road service to put on.

If Road service doesn't have your tire or can't get it, then what do you do? Michelin at one point had a nation wide back order on RV tires, you couldn't find one if you wanted to. Then what?
Then I'd probably get a Firestone or a GoodYear...seriously not to be disaagreeable but the class C"s 16" tires are ot all that rare. Yes, if it's a Sunday, a holiday, the middle of the night on I-40 between Winslow and Flagstaff it may be a long wait.

I have vacillated over that and am now leaning toward a spare.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:40 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Spare Tire

I have heard (have not investigated) that in the event of a flat on the front - and I am talking Class C here - that if there was no spare the outside tire of the dually could be removed turned arond and mounted on the front....

Question: can that be done.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:59 AM   #28
Winnebago Owner

That should work. If not too loaded down and drive slowly.
Snakebite
Snakebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 11:09 PM   #29
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by legolas View Post
I have heard (have not investigated) that in the event of a flat on the front - and I am talking Class C here - that if there was no spare the outside tire of the dually could be removed turned arond and mounted on the front....

Question: can that be done.
Personally I would not do it. The tires are weight-rated and obviously 4 tires are necessary to carry the weight on the rear axle. Removing one of them will put undue load on the remaining single and perhaps compromise the integrity of that tire. JMHO, of course.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote