Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2021, 10:56 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Dually wheels

On my Mini Winnie the inner and outer dual rims are the same just flipped around on the inside so they work together. And the front rims are same too.
Fotoguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 10:59 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
The only problem that I see with having a mounted spare is that it will not fit on the inner duals since they use a different wheel. But a mounted spare has a 4 in 6 chance of being right, assuming the front wheels are the same as rear outer duals.
I’m 99% sure that all six wheels on my Ford E450 are the same.

Is anyone knows differently, let me know. 2004 E450SuperDuty.
DesertRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 11:05 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRatt View Post
I’m 99% sure that all six wheels on my Ford E450 are the same.

Is anyone knows differently, let me know. 2004 E450SuperDuty.
Mine is a 2002 E450 and yes all the rims are the same.
Fotoguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 12:43 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

I stand corrected, good news for the OP.
Old 07-16-2021, 07:46 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
The only problem that I see with having a mounted spare is that it will not fit on the inner duals since they use a different wheel. But a mounted spare has a 4 in 6 chance of being right, assuming the front wheels are the same as rear outer duals.
And, if it doesn't fit, the road service can re-mount the tire. I wonder what the statistics are in terms of tire failures vs. location of the tire. I know that, without a TPMS, an under-inflated inner dual is tougher to spot.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:53 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

TPMS! TPMS! I've got to consider getting TPMS! Cuz, i need another dashboard instrument to keep me eye on!
Old 07-16-2021, 08:27 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

Quote:
TPMS! TPMS! I've got to consider getting TPMS! Cuz, i need another dashboard instrument to keep me eye on!
I just listen for the warning alarm.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 04:10 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

I wouldn’t worry about being able to solve your flat tire issue. Just call road service and someone who has the knowledge and equipment will be there quickly to help you. Make sure you have your fridge stocked with cold beverages for your pleasure while you wait. Until they can’t come because of some problem.
Remember the Boy Scout motto? BE PREPARED. That’s old fashioned these days. No wonder I miss the old days.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 04:16 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Are they suggesting, "don't bother carrying a spare?" Wouldn't that create a huge delay in getting a flat fixed? Just wondering what to do.

Tomorrow am, I'm going to pick up my new spare and new wheel, but no Jack or tools. Is that a waste of money?
We carry a spare tire, but just the tire, not the wheel. Need a mobile tire service to come help anyway if there's an issue, and that eliminates the problem of finding someone that has my size in stock. They can pop the old tire off and the new tire onto the wheel pretty quick.
cshodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 05:50 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

I’ve changed my fair share of flat tires. When we had our 2 Travatos, I carried a spare mounted on a Promaster wheel. On our new MW22M, I thought about carrying a spare, but then decided to go with a Roadside Assistance Plan that covered tires. I’d be surprised if someone could break the lug nuts loose with a 1/2” drive breaker bar. Maybe on a Class B, but I’m scratching my head doing it on a Class C or A. And like a previous poster stated, if you have a flat on an inside rear, that’s 2 tires you’ve got to deal with.
Raxel7851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 06:02 PM   #31

Smile

It all depends where you tend to travel. On our trip on the Dempster Highway in the Yukon, we were advised to carry a spare tire, plus extra gasoline and water. High water can cut you off from the next town and you can be stranded for days. So our kit included a mounted spare tire on the hitch receiver, a 24" breaker bar, a 1/2' ratchet and socket, a chisel to pry the duallies apart, an 8 ton jack, a jack stand, some wide planks to rest the jack and stand on in the mud, a tarp to lie on, an extension cord to reach an electrical receptacle running off the generator, a 1/2 electric nut driver, a small sledge hammer, a couple of orange cones, a pair of wheel chocks, a 1/2" torque wrench, a small air compressor, a pair of gloves, knee pads, and a pair of coveralls. There is room under there to lie there without being in danger of being crushed, but you have to keep your head in the empty spaces. I did a test run in my driveway and the worst part was separating the duallies. Also useful to have is a bottle of whiskey to apply internally as a liniment, because it's hard work.
Jos 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 07:44 PM   #32
Winnebago Camper

tires

I also have a road service plan, but I carry all the tools needed to handle a tire problem. If raining , too cold or an unsafe location I will wait for help.

Tools carried
torque multiplier about $50.00 as my lugs are 475 ft lbs.
2 two foot tire spoons.
1/4" batt drill it will remove lugs with multiplier.
1/4" torque wrench with multiplier will get to 475 +,- 25 lbs about $50
120 volt compressor with 2- 25'hoses
tire only with out rim 22.5"
tire plug kit
large fix a flat can
extra valve stems/ extensions
balance beads
TPM on dash for all 10 tires psi and temp
air impact gun for car tires
wood blocks and rubber chocks
16 led road flashers (cop gave me a atta boy for the last use of the lights)
keeping my eyes out for a used rim

I have used all of the above, for myself or helping others.
My father taught tire changing 101 when I was 15, mid 70s now.
40 years of RVing. C,B, last 17 in a class A
If you can remove a tire, put it in the car and drive it to a tire shop.

Be safe
TJ
A rear tire could be moved to the front for a short move.
thunderjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 08:03 PM   #33
Winnebago Owner

We have always had tires less than 6 years old on all of our RV's. I carry a Viair 12 V compressor designed for RV's, We currently have a spare (and needed it). I also carry several bottle jacks capable of lifting the RV, a battery operated 1/2" impact wrench, spare lug nuts etc.

When we went to AK, we carried an extra tire--didn't need it. But there may be places where the exact size tire you need may not be available. Thru the 60 years of RVing there have been both RV and tow vehicle/trailer tires which needed service. About half of those were handled by road service. Before Cell phones--you were pretty much on your own, especially if off the beaten path.
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 09:23 PM   #34
TowerRat

Bought a 22 year old Minnie Winnie last year. On the trip to bring it home to Alabama from Orlando, my 22 year old inner dually let go, just outside Tallahassee. Did not have my full insurance package in place yet, so I paid full price on the spot.

Tire - $165
Spare tire (in case this happened again immediately) - $165
Labor, tools, taxes - $335

He brought both tires with him, did the work in the parking lot I had stopped in, 1:45 waiting for him, 1:15 to change :15 to verify all the other tires were ok.

Total - $670 & 3:15 of my time. Ended up buying 5 more new tires, and THEN found the spare in it’s hidey hole…… it was also 22 years old….
Old 07-21-2021, 09:55 PM   #35
Winnebago Master

I keep hearing people say don't worry and trust roadside assistance. While in reality that does not always work out.

I had a mounted spare and the tools to change the tire myself however only had the tool provided by Winnebago to remove the nuts holding the wheel covers on which unfortunately the tire shop put on with an impact wrench making it so the wheel cover removal tool was not strong enough to remove the mounting nuts. None of the service trucks that AAA sent out had a large enough wrench to remove the nuts on the covers so they were going to bust them off. Neither did they have the jacks or blocks required so were going to try to balance the coach on the inner dual while they tried to change the outer before passing vehicles shook the coach enough to knock it out of balance and of course that was only if I was willing to sign a waver releasing them of any liability for damages. Plus there was a forest fire bearing down on us. I ended up calling a commercial truck service company by going through the local phone listings myself and paying them out of pocket to come with the correct tools to remove the cover. We had a lot of smoke blowing around us by the time they arrived but thankfully escaped the flames.

Now I carry everything including a 3/4 inch drive socket the correct size to remove the nuts holding the wheel covers along with blocks, levers, jacks, compressor and impact wrench. Even if I end up calling for roadside assistance I have whats needed to get out of harms way even if they do not.

All 6 wheels on the F53 are the same and my 2001 with the 19.5 inch rims has a spare tire rack under the back of the coach so its an easy choice.

I have hesitated upgrading to a newer coach with the 22 inch rims since tires that size usually do not fit between the rear frames and bins on a typical Class A coach. Personally I could not imagine traveling to a remote area to camp without having a mounted spare tire and the tools to change it.

I am a senior citizen who walks with a cane and if I can do it then most anyone can. What makes it possible is not jacking the coach up so high that you actually have to lift the tire up onto the studs but to only jack it up enough so you can wiggle the tire resting on the ground off the studs and back on again.
Old 07-21-2021, 11:51 PM   #36
Winnebago Camper

We have RVPlus roadside assistance through AAA and have had flat tires changed twice.
rcorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 12:34 AM   #37
Winnebago Owner

Given the death of Truth, Decency and the propagation of lies into truth
It is best to carry a spare of the appropriate size else become vulnerable to being sold a "wrong tire" that wrong could be load rating, mismatch of treads, wrong size even and yep quality too. Been there and happened that a way. The offending service vehicle self righteously provided the wrong size tire, with the wrong ratings and the wrong load limits because that was all they had unless we want to wait by the side of the road for 3 daze.

An no they would not buy it back once we got a new tire put on in town!

It would be wise to carry a spare be it fully mounted or unmounted.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:51 AM   #38
2004 Minnie 29B

I have changed the tires about 10 times over last 28 years on two class C motorhomes. I would not buy a motorhome that did not have a spare. Been to many places where road service would take too long. 9 of those changes were on the first class C due to either flats/ or imminent tire failure (always inspect tires prior to and during a trip). Newer motor home has always had Michelin tires. Only failure was due to a leaking valve stem. Tires only weigh about 70 pounds, with lug nuts at 140 ft-lb and use an eight ton jack. Not sure I would change a tire on a class A with its heavier tire and higher torque on the lug nuts. If I ever got a class A I would at least carry a tire, especially if it was not a common one. It all comes down to what you are comfortable with.
RV Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 01:31 PM   #39
Winnebago Owner

Wow! I learned a lot on this thread. There's no circumstances ever i would be able to change a tire on my class C no matter what tools i had. That day was maybe 25 years ago, 2 knee replacements ago, 1 shoulder replacement ago, and one back surgery ago.

I'll make sure i have enough water and food to wait DAYS for roadside repair! If that's not enough, they can bury me at the side of the road and nail up a little cross, so that people whizzing by can wonder, "What happened to that poor bustard?"
Old 07-23-2021, 06:45 AM   #40
Winnebago Camper

be prepared!

After 4 tire failures in the first year of RV ownership and waiting a cumulative 30+ hours for service in the American West, I'm ready. I easily carry in my 30' Minnie Winnie:

1. 6 ton bottle jack
2. Mounted spare tire (dually wheels fit all six positions)
3. 6 ton jack stands
4. Ryobi impact wrench with batteries and appropriate socket
5. Torque wrench
also, knee pads, a folding chair, wood blocks, etc.

I can change any tire in less than an hour. The Ryobi impact wrench is a wonder; it zips off the lugs and tightens them to over 100 ft-lb. No lug wrnch or breaker bars needed.

Do it. You'll thank me for it when you're on the side of the road in west Texas and the nearest human settlement is a one-man cattle station 30 miles away.
gordelbar is offline   Reply With Quote