Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2020, 12:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Shock replacement mileage?

Just put money down on a 2010 VIA 25T
It has 52K miles on the clock.
At what milage should I consider shock replacements?
Any advice on preventitive maintance itemsI should consider.
I haven't gotten the owners maintance log book yet but he said he keeps meticulous records (I could be so lucky)

Just trying to line up work thst needs to be done.
Toddah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 03:36 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

assuming no oil leaks from shocks, shocks do nothing but make the ride less bouncy, or 'dampen' out the oscillations from a bump and smooth it to make for better ride - so judge for yourself if your ride is smooth.

if you really want, you could test them by disconnect and just see if they seem reasonable, and 'squish' with resistance both in compression and rebound.

as to other mtc items, you have essentially a big truck or dump truck, it is just a vehicle like all others, it should have regular greasing of all fittings, fluid changes, and inspections for rusting, etc.

LUBE is your friend and pal, do not let him ever get dry - synthetic oils and fluids are the best for all things - engine, trans, rear diff, grease - $$ now or much more $$$$ later !!
SmilingSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:48 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingSimon View Post
assuming no oil leaks from shocks, shocks do nothing but make the ride less bouncy, or 'dampen' out the oscillations from a bump and smooth it to make for better ride - so judge for yourself if your ride is smooth.!
Some of that is part of the job of the springs--they absorb the impacts, and the shocks keep the body of the vehicle stable and in control. Without shocks a vehicle would be like a clown car, jumping up and down.

With a car or truck you typically bounce the corners of the vehicle up and down and see how long it takes to stop. I'm not sure that is practical with a MH.

As to how long they typically last, the OEM shocks on my 89 Ranger lasted 28,280 miles. The replacements have lasted an additional 173,000 and are still good. We have an older Rav4 with over 200,000 miles and original shocks. The manufacturing tolerances are a lot better now than in the past, so they do tend to last longer (assuming they don't leak).
Old 07-28-2020, 04:29 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

if the OP has bilstein shocks then they are quality shocks better than most OEMs so likely will not be a factor or issues unless fluid is leaking from a shock.

besides imo shocks do not do a huge amount for a heavy laden mh, but then I have always had working shocks.

so save $$ unless obvious that a shock is bad, OR better yet save the $$ and send to me, I could always use a few hundred $$ !!!!
SmilingSimon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement